Can sickle cell disorder be cured?

By January 12, 2012 - 10:56am

I am a 34year old lady, Malawian and my daughter is going through such pain. My daughter`s name is Betty, and she is only 8years old. Since from her childhood she has been suffering from this disorder. I am not at peace when i see her crying in deep pain i just wish i can share with her. The only medicine we are given at the Hospital is Pannado and sometimes Brufen and it seems these pain killers do not ease the pain. I wanted to know if there is ever any medicine that can help her stop or even control the pain before it start? I feel sorry for her because she is a very hard working kid and this sickness is disturbing her education. Please help me.

Happy Birthday to Betty! We hope she has a wonderful day!

My daughter Betty, is turning 9 tomorrow, am so excited.....Am just seeing the hand of God, i thank God because she is in good health.
Thank you everyone, especially Susan for your support. God bless you.

Hi Susan,
Thank you so much for your very much concern about my child`s sickness. Betty is doing fine, though she seems to be under weight. It has taken almost four weeks since she complained about joints, backaches, or even pneumonia issues and she is eating well without giving us problems, that is what makes me happy.
Those people have not answered yet am still waiting from them. I have hope that they will one day. Thank you for the other link which you have given me, i will write them too. I will let you know when i write them and what they are going to tell me.

Thank you susan, once again, keep in touch,

Hi Tamanya

I'm glad you wrote to them - sometimes it can take a while to hear back. If you hear back and they can't help you, make sure you ask them for information on who else can help you; they'll know better than most.

I found another organization for you here in the US. They focus on finding health care for children in developing countries and specialize in "cancer, leukemia, thalassemia, sickle cell disease".

Malawi is one of the countries they help. You can contact them here: info@cure2children.org

and here is their website: http://www.cure2children.us/home.asp

I hope they respond quickly to you and let us know!

I hope Betty is feeling well.

Hi Tamanya

Here in America, some children are more worried about what fancy sneakers they wear or what kind of cell phone they have and couldn't care less about school.

It is so refreshing to see so many kids in countries like Malawi do anything to receive a good education - especially girls. Thank you for being such and encouraging mother to her.

I also wish you had better medical resources where you live but please contact the organization I linked you to, to see how they can help. They are there to specifically help get Malawian children the medical help they need.

Please stay in touch with us!

Hi Susan

Thank you for your concern and your encouragements. I have written to that link you gave me and am just waiting for the reply.
Susan, here in Malawi if you do not get education or not encourage children for school, then just know that you will remain in poverty for the rest of your life. I love encouraging my children to go to school. I believe that even if the children can go to a poor school as long as they get education it is okey than just staying at home doing nothing and complaining. Every help comes when you yourself start trying,.......that is what i believe in life. This is why am always concern with My daughter Betty`s sickness because it is the disturbing issue in my family. Instead of us struggling with the school fees for our children`s education only, but also the sickness which again can not be cured adds up to be another special burden, life is so tough but any way, we just accept whatever comes our way, its only God who knows why?
Once again, Thank you Susan, for your kindness heart.
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Please stay in touch,

HERWriter Guide (reply to Tamanya Mfune)

Hi Tamanya!

Thanks for your response. I agree that education is so important for children!

Please let me know if you have heard back from the people I linked you to. If not, I can look for more!

Hi Susan,
Thank you Susan for your communication once again. I wrote to them on saturday and they have not answered me yet. I red about what they do and where they are based in Malawi, and i have discovered that they have a specified place in Blantyre, which is a commencial city in the northern part of Malawi, and they are helping kids who are HIV/AIDS, and some other diseases and they have not mentioned special attention to sickle cell patients.
Please if you have some other links please inform me so that i should try them also.

Hi Tamanya

Thank you for your post and welcome!

I'm so sorry your little girl is dealing with this; I know that sickle cell anemia can be terribly painful.

Unfortunately there is no cure. But there are treatments. Some of them include:

Basic treatment of sickle cell crisis includes:

• Bedrest
  • Pain relief medications
  • Oral and intravenous fluids
  • Oxygen—to reduce pain and prevent complications

In addition, treatment may include:

Newborns with sickle cell disease may be given penicillin. It is given twice a day, beginning at age two months. It is continued until at least five years of age.

Pneumococcal Vaccine

It is recommended that children with sickle cell disease who are 2-5 years of age receive pneumococcal vaccine (PCV-7).

Hydroxyurea (Hydrea)

This is the first drug to significantly prevent complications of sickle cell disease.

It increases the production of fetal hemoglobin. This decreases the number of deformed red blood cells. As a result, it reduces the frequency of sickle cell crisis.

Hydrea is not appropriate for everyone with sickle cell disease. It is only recommended for people over age 18 who have had at least three painful crises in the previous year.

Blood Transfusions

Blood transfusions can treat and prevent some of the complications. Regular transfusion therapy can help prevent recurring strokes in children.

Bone Marrow Transplant

A bone marrow transplant from a matched donor may be effective. There are medical risks involved. Recipients must also take drugs that suppress the immune system for the rest of their lives.

If you or your child is diagnosed with sickle cell anemia, follow your doctor's instructions .

You can read all about this condition here, as well as lot of articles and questions from other readers: http://www.empowher.com/condition/sickle-cell-anemia

If Betty can get into some kind of treatment program or study, she may feel a lot better. The over-the-counter treatments for her may not help with pain much, but since she is only 8, doctors have to proceed with caution.

Is Betty seeing a specialist for her condition or just a regular doctor? She needs to be helping by specialists, and preferably a pediatic specialist. I am not sure how limited you are in Malawi but I know that medical resourses are hard to find and hard to afford.

Ask your doctors for more information and contact this British organization that specifically provides health care for Malwai children - see what they can do for you: http://childrensmedicalcaremalawi.org.uk/

I hope this information helps and that the above organization can help you. Please stay in touch with us and our best to you and little Betty - I do hope she gets decent treatment soon.

Hi Susan,
Thank you so much for your encouragements and advices. We have been going with Betty to a Central Hospital which is a government hospital here in Malawi and in based in the capital city which is Lilongwe, where different types of specialists are found. We visit the clinic once every month but though she is checked every time we visit the clinic they always give us pannados and bluffen. And these are given to releave pain during the attack.
I wish we could also have such opportunities of treatment programmes or study like you are saying she could have been better, unfortunately we do not have such.
Thank you Susan for the contact you have given me, i will communicate to them and i will inform you the feed back.

Once again thank you so much, looking forward for more knowledge on this issue......my prayer is to see my daughter grow and get educated, for she loves school so much that sometimes she even hides when she feels pain so that she does not stay at home..she is so strong....she also loves singing and she has a very good voice and she loves dancing so much that she feels bad when we tell her to sit done and rest. I just feel there could be some medicine in Malawi to prevent the pain before it gets too much.

Hope to here from you again,

Sickle Cell Anemia

Sickle Cell Anemia Guide