Colon & Colonoscopy

By April 19, 2013 - 12:23pm

Hi, I have a question to ask I want to know are there other imaging testing's available other than colonoscopy for the colon? Please let me know.

Thank You,

Thank you for your reply. My doctor gave me something called dicyclomine and told me it can help relax the muscles and IBS. I was told if I don't feel better by this then it's best to do colonoscopy. I know how colonoscopy is but there is problem for me. I have hypoglycemia and the instructional diet they give me is not easy in anyway because if I don't have a full meal especially at night time I won't be able to fall asleep. Not having a full meal at night before bedtime I get a deep empty feeling in my stomach and I get heart palpitations and I start shaking. This is what I'm scared of. If in case I need to have colonoscopy I don't know what to do about this. This is actually a problem for me. I don't even know what to tell my doctor if he says I should go with it. What do you think I should say?

HERWriter Guide (reply to Melissa6666)

Hi Melissa

Tell him exactly what you just told us! He'll guide you from there! Don't stress out yet - don't create problems in your mind before they happen - this isn't good for your health. Take it day by day, step by step.

Thank you for your reply. I'm not stressing out over this. I just wanted to get your opinion before I tell my GI doctor. So I will tell him what I exactly told you.

Thank You,

Hi Melissa

I take it your gastric doctor is recommending a colonoscopy?

It's not the most pleasant of procedures (I just had one four weeks ago) but it's the standard and best way (that we have right now) to examine the colon properly. There is currently no better way for a doctor to see the entire colon than a colonoscopy.Even if a "virtual colonoscopy" is done, if anything is found then a regular one has to be done.

I don't think that's what you want to hear but if you are having all these problems, then this is the best procedure for you. Xrays or other imagery can't substitute for a colonoscopy.

It's a 30-40 minute procedure and you'll be asleep for it.It's not as bad as it's made out to be.

Read more here about a colonoscopy and the prep here: http://www.empowher.com/colorectal-cancer/content/colonoscopy-options-an...

If you are getting one done, then your doctor or a nurse will explain everything to you in detail and give you lots of reading material.

Colon Cancer