Could I have gotten pregnant this way...?

By May 19, 2012 - 5:59pm

I know that this question is so silly that it probably shouldn't even be asked, and I feel completely stupid asking it, but here goes nothing... I am in my early twenties and live with my husband and a male roommate. My husband and I had been trying to have a baby for several months when it finally happened (YAY!) I am currently in my second trimester, and unfortunately from the very beginning of my pregnancy I have been worried about, well, everything. I have been entirely faithful to my husband and have only had intercourse with him (and here's where the story gets stupid) but our male roommate is young, and I am concerned that he may have masturbated in our shower and since I take baths every day, sometimes twice a day, I am afraid I may have gotten pregnant by sitting down on semen, or even by accidentally using the same towel that he "wiped off" with when he got out of the shower, since I am aware of "leakage" after a male masturbates. I have pretty bad anxiety, and when I think about these scenarios in my mind I know how incredibly ignorant they sound, and I am even college educated. So, just for peace of mind, is it possible for me to have become pregnant from using a towel (drying myself off "down there" with it) after the male roommate possibly got semen on it? I would ask my doctor, but quite frankly I am embarassed and being completely anonymous on the internet makes this question easier to ask. Thank you for your time.

Hi DCones12,

Thanks for your post, and for what it's worth... it is not a stupid question. 

Once sperm is outside of the body, it does not survive very long and the longer it remains outside, the weaker it becomes. You did not get pregnant this way. 

However, I do want to mention a few things that were concerning, considering that you are pregnant and sharing a house with a roommate-- while you don't have to bleach clean the tub after every time your roommate showers, have you considered asking your husband if he will do this once a week at least? 

Towel sharing-- if this towel is the hand towel shared by all of you daily... when in doubt, switch it out. Discuss boundaries with this man, if this was your bath towel that he cleans his hands on, he needs to respect your belongings and either wipe himself on a hand towel, or his own towel-- your and your husbands towels are completely off limits, and the same respect should be given to him. 

When you bathe, if the bath isn't freshly disinfected, then make sure you rinse it out. These are all for sanitary reasons-- particularly because you are pregnant. But even when you aren't, it is always a good idea to consider your health when sharing bath tubs with strangers. And since you are pregnant, just bear in mind that you should not be taking hot baths for your baby's safety. 

Take Care and Congratulations,