Dandruff in kids?

By Expert HERWriter September 11, 2009 - 11:46pm

Hi everyone,

A good friend of mine was telling me today at lunch about how her 11-year-old son seems to have dandruff. She is wondering if it is part of puberty and how she can treat it. I know for adults there are medicated shampoos but I'm honestly not sure if these are okay for kids.

My friend said that her son will get a couple of flaky areas on the sides of his head and the flakes look more yellowish than white. She thinks he's pretty good about how he shampoos so she doesn't think it's a hygiene issue. I told her I'd come here and ask the amazing EmpowHer community to see how we can help her. I honestly have always though of dandruff as an adult issue but her puberty comment seemed to make sense too. Thanks everyone! Michelle

Dandruff in kids is an inflammatory skin disorder, also known as seborrhea, that results in yellowy-white scales forming on the scalp. Dandruff affected areas turn itchy and scratching them can cause the scales to flake off and sometimes it may result in an injury to the scalp.

The best remedy for this dandruff in your kid, begins with hair care and hygiene. Make sure that you shampoo your son’s hair every day. Prior to shampooing your son’s hair, make sure that you brush it thoroughly so as to get rid of any dead skin.

check out this article that you will know more about the dandruff in kids along with their treatments and home remedies : http://www.momjunction.com/articles/dandruff-in-kids-causes-and-treatments_00120775/

Hi Michelle

This is a great question. Sometimes we don't think of our kids as being capable of having the same issues as adults but really, they are adults-in-training, right?!

Kids do get dandruff - not in the same numbers as adults, but they do get it. An 11 year old should be fine to try regular medicated shampoo like Head and Shoulders (my husband shampoos with this every morning and it works really well and smells really good too).

Your friend's son should also avoid gels, mouses and the like. He's getting at the age where his appearance will be more important to him but staying away from styling products is a good idea.

Shampooing every day is also a good idea, using a shampoo specifically formulated for dandruff if he has a bad case of it or at least a couple of times a week. The key ingredients his mom needs to look for are ketoconazole, salicylic acid,coal tar, selenium sulfide, and zinc pyrithione.

I also found some natural remedies that have been found to work well - I'm not sure of their actual effectiveness but it's nothing too radical!

1. Use of fenugreek seeds is one of the most important remedies in the treatment of dandruff. Two tablespoons of these seeds should be soaked overnight in water and ground into a fine paste in the morning.

2. Use of a teaspoon of fresh lime juice for the last rinse, while washing the hair, is another useful remedy.

3. The juice of snake gourd has been found beneficial in the prevention and treatment of dandruff.

4. Aloe vera dandruff cure. About 10-15 minutes before you wash your hair, rub a lot of aloe vera gel into your scalp. leave it on for 10 minutes.

5. Using lime juice to wash hair.

6. Soak 2 tablespoons fenugreek seeds in water overnight. In the morning grind into a fine paste. Apply all over scalp and leave for ½ an hour. Wash with mild shampoo.

7. Mix the olive oil with the almond oil. Leave it on about 5 min.s after it starts to burn. Rinse well to clear dandruff.

8. Massage your hair with warm coconut oil and apply the juice of 2 lemons, steam your hair and leave the oil on for about 2 hours.

9. Boil a handful of neem leaves in 4 teacups of water. After cooling and filtering, use for rinsing hair.

10. Mix 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar with 1/4 cup water. Pour this mixture into a spray bottle and spritz it on to your hair and scalp, being careful to avoid the eye and ear area.

Tea tree oil is also considered an effective treatment.

Dandruff is linked to hormones so your friend's son is probably entering puberty now and hence the increase in his scalps flakiness. All in all, dandruff is pretty "normal" - and can be well-contained in most cases. If his dandruff doesn't clear up using these methods, his mom should take him to see a dermatologist. The scalp is a continuation of our regular skin, so for problem dandruff that won't clear, dermatological care is needed, as opposed to a GP.

I hope this helps somewhat and that her son's dandruff clears quickly. We look forward to an update!

Dandruff Guide