By October 9, 2009 - 11:10pm

My son is 4 eyar old Ihad a bad PPD,I did not know what was going wron whith me at that time.
I was born in Ukraine and never herd about such a horobl sikness cosed by berth streas.my simthoms was skery(I never thout about my self bad befor .I was not sheor no more)
For more than 18 munth I was traing to dill with it until I felt crauzy.My femaly thay are all love me and I know thay try and do protand thay understand But I know thay don't,and the sad part i dont exspekt them to.I am taking a madison and i feeling beter,but i steel have sume bad days and moments.Only one thing givs me a hope my son he is a perfektly halthe chaeld and my condishen did not harm him.I pray God a lot to halp me be free of gilt and fears I still have.I Whish I could do more for my femaly,anstedov be jalos of thoth women hy don't know what PPD is.Thank you so much for trying to halp.I know it is not nice but it is help to know it is not just me.

Hi Elena,

I am so glad you found EmpowHer...we are definitely here to help you.

I found a few local resources for you to call; we do not have any personal knowledge of these facilities, so please call and ask many questions. Most of them will be able to tell you what types of support groups are currently meeting, as well as the age-range of these groups, topics they discuss, location and other important criteria. You may need to try out a few groups before finding a "fit" that is right for you.

Los Alamos Family Council
1505 15th St Ste A
Los Alamos, NM 87544-3000
Phone: (505) 662-3264

Collaborative: The Mental Health Association in New Mexico
P.O. Box 1417
Esapanola, NM 87532-1417
Phone: 505-753-4131
Fax: 801-382-4778
Toll-free: 800-563-7639 x04
E-mail: mhanm@cybermesa.com

NAMI New Mexico
P.O. Box 3086
Albuquerque, NM 87190-3086
Phone: 505-260-0154
Fax: 505-260-0342
Toll-free: 800-953-6745
E-mail: nami-nm@nami.org
(NAMI--The National Alliance for the Mentally Ill, maintains a helpline for information on mental illnesses and referrals to local groups. The local self-help groups have support and advocacy components and offer education and information about community services for families and individuals)

In addition to these services above, you may want to try out some other resources, including your husband's workplace (there are usually "employee assistance programs" that are available to family members for free or reduced cost). Local universities are also excellent places for support groups for adults. You may ask any of these resources below for recommendations, especially if you trust their advice:
* Your Family doctor(s)
* Mental health specialists, such as psychiatrists, psychologists, social workers, or mental health counselors
* Religious leaders/counselors
* Health maintenance organizations
* Community mental health centers
* Hospital psychiatry departments and outpatient clinics
* University- or medical school-affiliated programs
* State hospital outpatient clinics
* Social service agencies
* Private clinics and facilities
* Employee assistance programs
* Local medical and/or psychiatric societies

Let us know if you need any additional help, and we would love to know what you find out in your search.

(reply to Alison Beaver)

Thank you very mutch for the information.

Thanks for your response. Sorry my spelling was so bad but this time my husband is helping. I did see a doctor and counselor (more than 1) and some of them wasn't right for me. I live in Los Alamos, NM (near Santa Fe). We move a lot due to my husbands job. We just moved and I'll try to find a good doctor. I always thought group support would help and I would like to know women who've been through it and are now okay. If you could help me find a local support group here and a doctor(locally) who specializes in this I would appreciate it.

Thank you,

Dear Elena

Thanks you for your post and I'm so glad you found us.

Please see a health care professional as soon as possible. Your child is 4 now so PPD, if treated correctly, should be even exist for you anymore. I don't blame you for being jealous of women who don't know what PPD is - if I were in your position, I'd feel the same way.

But there is much hope and treatment for you and you CAN break free of this depression. Please see a doctor straight away.

From our Encyclopedia, here is some more information for you -

Symptoms may include:

◦Loss of interest or pleasure in life
◦Loss of appetite
◦Rapid mood swings
◦Episodes of crying or tearfulness
◦Poor concentration, memory loss, difficulty making decisions
◦Difficulty falling or staying asleep
◦Feelings of irritability, anxiety, or panic
◦Fear of hurting or killing oneself or one's child
◦Feelings of hopelessness or guilt
◦Obsessive thoughts, especially unreasonable, repetitive fears about your child’s health and welfare
◦Lack of energy or motivation
◦Unexplained weight loss or gain

More serious symptoms associated with postpartum depression that may require immediate medical attention include:

◦Lack of interest in your infant
◦Suicidal or homicidal thoughts
◦Hallucinations or delusions
◦Loss of contact with reality

DiagnosisThe doctor will ask about your symptoms and medical history, and may perform a physical exam. Your doctor may ask you to undergo blood tests, to see if some undiagnosed physical problem (such as a thyroid condition) could be causing your symptoms. You may be referred to a mental health professional.

TreatmentTreatment for postpartum depression may include counseling, medication, or both.

Medications may include:

◦Anti-anxiety drugs
◦Antipsychotic drugs (for severe cases)

Talk with your doctor about potential medication side effects, and how they might affect your child if you are breast-feeding.

Support groups for mothers with postpartum depression can help you see that others are struggling with and triumphing over postpartum depression.
You can read more here : http://www.empowher.com/media/reference/postpartum-depression

In addition to seeing a doctor, I think it's really important that you join a support group. There you will be surrounded by other women who are going (or have gone) through the same thing and will provide you with the support and care that you need.

If you need help finding a support group, we can help you with that. Let us know where you live (you can do so with a private message if you like) and we'll take it from there.

Please update us and Elena, you are not alone. PPD affects millions of women and there is help and support for you. I look forward to hearing from you again.

Emotional Health

Emotional Health Guide