Did Plan B fail? Please Help!

By November 28, 2011 - 10:52am

I had sex on Monday Nov 21st and the condom broke. My boyfriend and I immediately got plan B and took it within an hour of when the condom broke. It is now Monday Nov 28th and I am experiencing bleeding that is brownish red. My period normally comes on the 11th or 12th of every month so this is 2 weeks early for me. Is this breakthrough bleeding or is this my period? Could there still be a chance for me to be pregnant? Is the chance of me increased or decreased if this is breakthrough bleeding? Please Help I am extremely worried that I could be pregnant!

Hi Jamieallover

It sounds like you are experiencing the common side effect of Plan B which is bleeding after taking it. This is a normal side effect and unless your period was due, is not considered your period. Your next period may be irregular as a result of Plan B (another side effect).

If you do not get your period as expected, take a pregnancy test 2-3 weeks after you had unprotected sex (so 2-3 weeks after Nov 21st) so that it's accurate. It's too early now to tell if you are pregnant.

Thank You So Much!