Reproductive System

Reproductive System Guide

ask: Dizziness after menstruation

I'm not sure if my condition is related to my cycle but i always have low blood pressure symptoms after i had my menstruation. My period just finished and i started to have dizziness every time i make sudden movement. Whenever i stand up, everything seems to be blurry and i feel like i'm going to fall. Usually this lasted three to four days. After that everything came back to normal. This condition started few months ago. So i was just wondering if it's related to my menstruation at all.

Cary Cook BSN RN

Hello Anonymous-

We cannot diagnose you with anything, but a common problem in women who have periods is anemia. Anemia can be caused by low iron and blood loss, both of which can be related to the menstrual cycle, especially if you have heavy periods. The symptoms can feel very much like low blood pressure, and can include low blood pressure as well. Fatigue, dizziness, sleepiness, weakness are all symptoms of anemia.

I suggest you make an appointment with your primary health provider or gynecologist. If you were a little anemic and had no symptoms, it wouldn't be a big deal, but since this has been ongoing and symptomatic, you need to do something about it. You need to have a certain amount of blood circulating in your system, and if you are anemic you either have less volume, or volume that does not have the oxygen carrying capacity that it should.

It is an easy blood test to check for anemia, and then you may need to take iron pills or adjust your diet or something. Your anemia has to be pretty bad to require a blood transfusion.

As I said, we can't diagnose, and there are other things that can cause these symptoms, and there are medical issues beyond menstruation that can cause anemia. That is why it would be wise to see your health provider and get checked out. We have some information to explain anemia further: http://www.empowher.com/condition/anemia

Please see your provider and let us know how you do.

How do you control your PMS?: