Does anyone have a recommendation for a natural supplement to boost energy and enhance libido?

By Anonymous November 11, 2009 - 8:03am

I have had my thyroid and hormone levels checked and all are within normal range. Although I am not considered overweight, I have started eating healthier and exercising, but I continue to feel fatigued and have little to no libido. I have been treated for depression in the past, but I do not have any of those symptoms right now. I have researched some natural remedies, but I'm hesitant to take something without hearing how it worked for others.

Dear Anon

Thanks for finding EmpowHer and for your great question!

How long have you been feeling this way? I'm wondering if what you have is seasonally affected, like SAD - Seasonal Affective Disorder. Some people (myself included) are affected by (usually)the darker, colder months of winter, particularly those of us living in the northern hemisphere.

One way of eliminating this fatigue and loss of libido in your case may be light therapy. You can buy a light box and use it daily, for 30-60 minutes a day. Alternatively you can make sure you get outdoor light daily. This helps boost your immune system, as well as help with some of the symptoms you are talking about.

There are herbal remedies that are touted as being good for issues with women's libido and sexual response. But you have to bear in mind that these are not guaranteed, nor can they be considered safe just because they are "natural" or "herbal".

Don Quai ( a kind of celery) has been used for libido, and Coleus (a plant) for helping with sexual response. Ginkgo (another plant) has also long been used to increase libido and sexual response in women. Speak to a health care provider before using any of these homeopathic recipes.

One of our guides, Melissa, also wrote about foods that can help boost libido. You can read more on that here : http://www.empowher.com/community/share/foods-help-boost-your-libido

Discovery Health also wrote a Top Ten on how to naturally increase your libido. You can check it out here : http://health.discovery.com/centers/sex/libido/libidotips.html

It's wonderful that you're eating well and exercising. But if you are still tired, you may want to check into the temperature and air quality of your home, the quality of your bed and pillows and examine the kind of fatigue you're feeling. Is it chronic? Do you have it, even when you sleep very well at night or is it related to how many hours you sleep? Is your tiredness accompanied by body aches or flu like symptoms or is it more of a "sleepy" kind of tired? I'm wondering if your symptoms are due to bad sleep or an unhealthy environment (the air or bed or temperature) or an underlying condition like Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Can you tell us a little more about the kind of tiredness you feel?

We hope to hear more from you and please update us so we can help you further!

Holistic Health

Holistic Health Guide