Does having cryosurgery mean that you had HPV?

By August 1, 2009 - 6:50am

Many years ago before talk of HPV like today, my pap test came back abnormal. I had two more pap tests (3 months between each) and was told I had precancerous cells. I asked how did this happen? The doctor said and I quote, "From having sex." There was no mention of HPV. I was baffled. I only had sex with my husband. He was the only (and still is) man I had ever had sex with. We had been together for 20 years. The doctor never said from having sex with multiple partners. I had cryosurgery and was fine. Now I am wondering if my husband had been unfaithful. I want the truth. I am very upset that the doctor patronized me. The doctor is long gone, as are the medical records. P.S. I just caught my husband cheating recently. Ironically, 20 years later. Is there any other reason than HPV that this could have happened or am I in denial?

Hi Kate;

My experience is so much like yours. I've been married to my husband for more than 40 years. He is and has been my only sex partner. Years ago, I found something unusual that I needed to see my doctor about. I was told that I had genital warts. When I asked how I could have gotten them, my doctor answered, "Well.....you don't get them by sitting on a toilet seat!" That was it. No other explanation. I was given some medication and that was that. Dumb me! I had never had an inkling that my husband might be having affairs. Though I was puzzled, it never occurred to me that my husband had transmitted an STD to me. However, before long, it all came to light. Because I had five children, I elected to stay with my husband. Several years later, I was treated for cervical cancer. I'm absolutely fine now, but would you believe I've only recently put the whole thing together and realized my husband had given me the virus and that HPV was the cause of my cervical cancer. Though I no longer have cancer, I do have plenty of resentment for what I went through......and more than a little anger at myself for being so naive. Good luck to you.

(reply to Anonymous)

For the lady with five children who had a similar experience as I. (HPV) How do you feel toward your husband? Our 40th anniversary is happening this month and my husband is planning a big surprise for me. I told him I've had enough surprises and we don't have much to celebrate as far as our relationship. We've been to counseling. He lied in counseling so you know how much good that did. I want him to look me in the eyes and tell me the truth. There is a tooth fairy isn't there? It will never happen. I do not have a job ouside the home and would not have health insurance if I left. To top it off we are raising a granddaughter. In a few years she will be off to college. I don't want to rock the boat for her sake. He didn't care. He risked everything.

Hi Kate

Since the medical records are long gone (which is very unfortunate) you may never know what condition you had but it's fair to make an educated guess and say that you did, in fact, have HPV. It may still be in your system.

Some doctors could be incredibly patronizing in days gone by and really did say ridiculous things like he did. You doctor had a duty to educate you on HPV and the risks, instead of patting you on the head like a child and ignoring his responsibilities. Not only had you the right to know what was going on in your own body, but you might have also been more clued in to the possible behaviors of your husband.

Your husband may have had HPV long before he met you (was he a virgin, also, do you know?) and may have unknowingly given it to you without cheating at all. Or he may have had many relationships behind your back and that's how it was transmitted. HPV shows up less in men - they don't show symptoms in the same way as women, they may get genital warts and there is the rare risk of penile or anal cancer - but they suffer fewer physical consequences than women.

One thing to note is that HPV is transmitted skin-to-skin so you may have contracted it from another man if you had any kind of genital contact with him, without having sex. If this didn't occur, then it came from your husband.

I'm so sorry you had such a dreadful experience with an incompetent doctor. And I'm also sorry that you just found your husband cheating. He probably won't admit to prior episodes of cheating but it might be worth a shot, to ask him to come clean about his history with other women while married to you, although I doubt you'll get the full story.

You can get an HPV test done now, however, to see what your status is. And please do not have any kind of sexual contact with your husband until you have a full check up - if he is a cheater (and it appears he is) you may have undiagnosed sexually transmitted diseases including a reinfection with a strain of HPV - there are many.

By the way, I don't think you are in denial at all. I think you suffered a very great disservice by your former doctor, not to mention ill-treatment by your husband and you are now taking steps to educating and protecting yourself - good for you!

Please go to a doctor and ask for a full sexual health checkup. Will you update us?

What is your relationship with your husband now? Are you trying to make things work?