Skin, Hair & Nails

Skin, Hair & Nails Guide

ask: Does Japanese hair straightening work and is it safe for my hair?

By ScooterGirl

I have heard a lot about Japanese hair straightening and since I have a head full of curls, I've been thinking about getting it done. We always want the opposite of what we have!

Does anyone know if this is damaging to hair? Could it fall out, the way African hair can fall out due to the harshness of some hair straightening products?

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

EmpowHER is a site for people of 14 years of age and older. Check with your Mom about this and make sure you and she do ALL your homework about this procedure before proceeding.

Thanks!
~Susan

Anonymous

Hey im 14, and i have kinda long hair but its past my shoulders though. I want to do the japenese treatment but my mom suggest i dont do it cuz she love my nautural loose curls. My question is will my hair go back to normal after using the japense hair treatment?

Alison Beaver (reply to Anonymous)

Hi,
Japanese hair straightening is permanent.
If you want something temporary, you can use an at-home ceramic hair straightener.

Please read the previous posts, as all the information is there about the long-term effects of hair straightening!

Anonymous

@The girl who cried about the hair straightening not being as good as she thought it was going to be ... o.O; you guys pay way too much money for these straightenings. In the past, I've gotten my hair done for about 100-200 dollars tops. Never past 200 bucks or anything and the results have been beautiful *A* I love Japanese-hair straightenings. I recommend you guys go to either a REAL Japanese salon or a beauty school. When I had my hair done at a beauty salon (connections because of a friend :'D) she only charged me 100 dollars. A HUNDRED. And my hair was really nice. C: It was done by students! So, I think you guys should look into prices, perhaps, it might be just as nice as any other salon who does it for 300-500 bucks (ripoff artists)

Not so sure about it being safe for the hair. All I know is that you have to wait another half a year or a year to get another straightening because it might damage the hair too much if you keep doing it AFTER your 6 month treatment oAo All I know is that with my hair, it got healthy again and was available to be treated again after so many months when I went for the 2nd time. (I've had it done for 4 times now)

I'm going back to a Japanese hair salon that I thought was great when I have the money ^^ 180 bucks there o:

Anonymous

I had the japanese straightening method done by a Salon in Sydney (Saba Hair) 6 years ago. I have curly hair and wanted to get my hair straightened desperately. However, since I had the straightening done my hair is permanently damaged. My hair no longer grows, is extremely fine, lacks shine, fullness and bounce. Also since chemically straightening my hair, my hair is balding on the crown area of my head. I am seeing several tricologists to restore my original hair. I am on tablets and using stimulant products as internal damage has prevented balding and I am extremely angry and frustrated and embarrassed to leave my hair out. I am hesitant to blow dry or colour my hair at a salon. I would not recommend anyone doing further damage to their hair whether it relaxes etc as chemically straightening damages hair no matter what people say or think. Be happy with what you have otherwise you will be looking at your past and regreting what you have ended up doing in the future - DAMAGE and HAIR LOSS.

Oh my goodness, Anon, I really feel for you, I'm sorry your hair was so damaged. Did you inform the salon?

I have also thought about this kind of straightening (my hair in my pic has been blown-out) but I think I'll stick to getting it blown-out for special occasions and otherwise keep my curls.

Please do inform the salon of what happened and I hope your current treatments work to restore your hair again.

~Susan

Anonymous

To anyone who's reading this, I'm sixteen years old and have a few large waves in my hair... I mean, really large, especially at the back. It looks horrible and the only way I can get rid of it is to use a ceramic straightener every morning. I was wondering what Japanese hair straightening can do for me that using a straightener every morning can't. Will it be better for my hair, since I wouldn't constantly be heating it?

And how do I tell my parents that I want to get it done? My mother has a very strong opinion on hair straightening without an iron: that it's far worse for your hair.

Pat Elliott HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Anon - It would be helpful to go back to the start of this thread to read the many comments on the impact of various chemical hair straightening treatments. You should also do additional research. If you still want to undergo a chemical process this after doing your research, and still want to get your mom's approval, then it will help if you can provide information on the safety aspects and how you plan to make sure that any process or salon that you use is legitimate and will not be harmful. Your mom has valid reasons to be concerned, and you're not too young to learn how to research information and advocate for yourself. Good luck! Pat

Anonymous

I went back to my hairdresser and she admitted the process did not turn out the way it was supposed to. This happens in some cases, but to protect yourself, discuss it in advance and ask the hairdresser what to expect. If it doesn't turn out that way, will you get your money back.

My hair is dull and coarse and feel dry. I'm afraid to get my roots done and she said she would do this with a semi-permanent colour. I won't let her touch it but am working my way through a number of salons to see who can suggest what.

I'm really afraid of the growth period and if I had the balls, I'd cut it off and start again. I will eventually have to do that I think.

Waste of money and time. takes more effort than having frizzy hair. Never again for me.

In future, talk t

Anonymous

I have been getting the Japanese straightening for more than five years. Over the years my hair is not damaged as much as you would think. I have noticed that my hair grows slower than it originally did before I began the straightening. I love the it though because my hair is always very straight for the next four or so months. Also since I have so much hair it usually takes 10+ hours to complete the straightening. I have super thick kinky curly hair and the straightening really does well. The only issue is, is that I wish I had never started straightening in the first place. The reason is because I have never been able to get back to my natural hair and I can not stand the growth period. This is when I have curly roots and the rest of your hair is straight. I HATE THIS. I am now trying the doing the Brazilian Boost Straightening, I would do that instead. There are no chemicals in this and it is not damaging.

When going out in the sun, what SPF do you put on?: