Does Japanese hair straightening work and is it safe for my hair?

By January 17, 2009 - 12:15pm

I have heard a lot about Japanese hair straightening and since I have a head full of curls, I've been thinking about getting it done. We always want the opposite of what we have!

Does anyone know if this is damaging to hair? Could it fall out, the way African hair can fall out due to the harshness of some hair straightening products?

Japanese hair straightening is safe if done by a professional specialist of this field with real Japanese products. There are some cheap alternatives that can damage your hair, those you should avoid. You can check more info here http://japanesehairstraightening.i8.com/faq.htm

well.. ive heard that japanese hair straightening causes cancer... does anyone think this is true?

I have lupus as well as fibro and i know with lupus even hair coloring is not recommended since it can cause flares in people.
I do color my hair since i been gray since my early 30's. I found a product that is great and seems to be bother me the least. I have tried natural hair colouring and i say stay away.
Okay i brought this up because it is chemical that is being absorbed into your body..not just hair. So i think anyone considering it might what to do patch test ...and see how they react.
Even be prepared for major flare arising from it...just keep notes how you feel up to month after wards.
i do know a Japanese friend who had it done to her hair and it was disaster! Her hair was wrecked. so really check stylist ..do not go by price but experience like was mention. Just be careful.
I love cutting my hair in different styles etc....it always grows back so i say try it but in smart way and have some fun!

HERWriter Guide (reply to siskiyou)

Hi siskiyou

Thanks for your input!

My hair is very curly but in a good way (my bio pic is my hair after a blowout, I need to update it!) and I ultimately got it cut short recently (to just above my shoulders) and the curls look every better, I love it. I have decided to go with what works for me rather than to mess around and potentially damage my hair. I agree with you that experimenting with our hair is tons of fun but I leave the color and processing out of it, just enjoy all the styling options!

I hope you are feeling well and are not experiencing any recent flares. Thanks for this great advice.

I'm african american (texturized/semi-relaxed hair) and I get my hair straightened in a salon about every 12 weeks. Once I wash my hair I go back to the natural looks because straightening my hair on my own has never turned out right...not nearly as nice as when I leave the salon.

Well, with Shielo's Antioxidant Leave in Protectant I was TRULY amazed!! Normally my hair would straighten but the ends would be dry and stiff and I'd end up with a frizzy mess after straightening. With the Shielo Antioxidant protectant it is silky smooth, light-weight and bouncy and NO greasy film! I can wear my shades on my head with out a greasy mess, lol. I blow dry my hair and part in 4 sections. I then apply a dime-sized amount to each section...so as other have said, a little goes a long ways! I've gotten SO many compliments!

Hello I'm 14 years old and i got a relaxer 3 months ago and i want to get thermal straightening done but i don't know because i don't know if the relaxer will effect the thermal straightening and make my hair fall out what do you think...?

(reply to Anonymous)

Hi there,

Thermal straightening is not advised for African-American hair, so I am presuming that you already know this and that you don't have African American hair. If you are really considering undergoing thermal straightening, I would advise that you first speak to your mother about this-- you're only 14 years old and as much as I know how much a 14 year old girl's hair matters to her, I am suggesting that you do not put your hair through all this "Trauma" at your young age.

If you were my daughter, I would not let you do this to your hair and, personally, I think the people who do this to teenage girls really don't care much for their hair at all. I'm 26 years old and my hair stylist, who is certified and an excellent stylist would not let me do it to my hair-- much less to a 14 year old girl. If you are truly set on getting this done, please do your research and find someone who is an EXPERT at this, even if it means paying a little more. Don't let the first person who tells you they can do it touch your hair. Consider that while the Thermal Straightening is a breakthrough process and in the majority of cases gives dramatically good results, in those instances where the process goes wrong (mostly because of operator error) the results can be equally devastating. I cannot stress enough the importance of seeking a certified, competent operator for this procedure.

Many women have had relaxers with thermal straightening but you will have to ask your stylist if three months is too little to wait.

Best Wishes,

Anonymous (reply to Rosa Cabrera RN)

hello again well thermal straighting is for african american hair too, and i hate my hair its so fried and i have nothing to lose and well its just horrible! and i already talked to my mother becuase relaxers still dont work so thats why im turning to this. and im turning 15 so i think im fine and my hair stylist knows what shes doing its just i dont want my hair to fall out or break becuase of the relaxer i got 3 months ago, you know what i mean...? What do you think?

It's really up to you and your mother whether to get this done but at Rosa said, we're not hair stylists or experts in hair straightening.

You need to go to someone who has worked on all hair types and has done this procedure many, many times (don't go to someone who is just out of school or hasn't done this kind of procedure for long). Hair only grows about a half an inch per month so much of your hair is still affected by the relaxer you got a few months ago.

Make sure the person you go to knows you had this relaxer done recently and then make your decision but please listen to what an experienced stylist tells you.

Hello again i just got the thermal relaxer and my hair didnt fall out at all, and it looks great soo... you guys were worrying for nothing!