Skin, Hair & Nails

Skin, Hair & Nails Guide

ask: Does Japanese hair straightening work and is it safe for my hair?

I have heard a lot about Japanese hair straightening and since I have a head full of curls, I've been thinking about getting it done. We always want the opposite of what we have!

Does anyone know if this is damaging to hair? Could it fall out, the way African hair can fall out due to the harshness of some hair straightening products?

Alison Beaver (reply to Anonymous)

Hi,
Thank you for sharing. Can you tell us which method of hair straightening you had done (there are a few different types mentioned on this post).

Since you did not like your results, did you follow any of Diane's previous recommendations on researching the stylist's experience beforehand, or did you go to this particular salon/stylist through word-of-mouth or other recommendation? I think it would be helpful to hear if prior-researching did or did not help.

I'm sorry you had poor results. Are you looking into alternatives?

Anonymous (reply to Alison Beaver)

Hi Alison,

I'm going back to the salon to discuss what method she used. All I know is she said it was the gentlest. I know a few people who have had great results and saw that this person was the first to bring it to the area.

I checked out yelp to see if there were any comments. There was one comment that was positive and since I live in a mid-sized city, I thought that was okay. But the comment wasn't about hair straightening, so that was bad. I believed her sign and since others with frizzy and wavy hair had a good experience, she seemed to think that it would work fine.

I did go online to do research but couldn't find any negative comments until last night. This is seems depends on the key words you use. If you type in botched hair straightening, you'll find some comments.

One comment I thought important is not to have this treatment done on highlighted hair, (which mine is). Another is to go to a Japanese person who knows what they are doing. But I'm not too sure of that, since Japanese hair has a very different consistency than Caucasian hair.

However, if I had to do it again, I would ask for more information and get more recommendations. I would also try more products to tame my hair rather than going through this permanent and damaging process. The salon where I had this done said they are all about healthy hair. If that is the case, she probably should not have proceeded with this process. Many hairdressers, according to online comments, will not do this process.

I will give the hairdresser an opportunity to rectify this situation. I will try and find out what process she used. And then I will contact the manufacturer to see if they recommend retrying the process. My hair is very kinky and damaged so I don't like that idea. The alternative is to visit a larger city and see if I can find someone who is experienced to fix my hair. There may be some people here who are good but I haven't found them. I find in a small town, there are lots of bad hairdressers and you are at the mercy of the good ones. And the good ones are the ones that continually learn.

I looked into this extensively and the Japanese way is definitely not for me, not to mention the load of chemicals in it, including formaldehyde. The expense is also too much for me and I want the option of being able to color my hair.

However! I'm liking the Brazilian Blowout option that lasts around 3 months, costs a lot less and has far fewer chemicals (no formaldehyde!) and color is fine.

I also like the idea of 3 months since I love my big curls but am kind of in love at the moment with really straight hair! But- love can be fleeting!

If any knows anything more about the Brazilian Blowout treatment or has had it done, I'd love to hear more!

Anonymous

Hello ladies, I just got the japanese relaxer and I was like you guys real worried about doing it. I did alot of research on it and got alot of feedbacks from lots of people. But I actually was real happy with the results. I used to have curly, frizzy, and puffy hair before that I hated. Everyone used to love my hair but it was just so difficult to fix it. One thing I had a problem was the puffiness of my hair. I had alot of hair too so that made it worse. Since I got the japanese relaxer my hair is silky straight. The only thing is the front of my hair from the tips they get a little frizzy and according to my stylist, the reason for that was bcuz of my color-treated hair already. Overall my hair feels and looks healthier then before. I payed only $200 though and it was almost a 4-5 hour process. And my stylist were actually asian ladies so idk if that made it better. But I would definitely recommend it to everyone who is just tired of dealing with their curly hair.

Pat Elliott (reply to Anonymous)

Anon - Thanks for your feedback, especially the tip about colored hair. Pat

I had never heard of this Japanese treatment-- I've heard of a Brazilian treatment, are they the same thing?

I LOVE straight, straight hair but at the same time, I don't think I am willing to give up my curls. I have my days when I want to go curly and I have days when I want to have my hair straight but I have yet to decide which one I like better than the other.

My advice to those who are not sure what to do: wait it out. Even if your hair does ultimately end up looking gorgeous, silky, and straight you will never have your curls back. If you absolutely hate your curly hair, then I say go for it.

Anonymous

Well don't go through any treatment unless you know your hair is in the right set of hands, but that goes for anything related to hair care and treatmnts, I went through a Japanese hair straightening at salon in Israel (http://www.vingrovsky.com) but before I did, I googled them a bit on the Internet and got some reviews from customers and girls that went through the treatment, then I went to the Salon and spoke to the guy myself and asked him to tell me all about the RISKS and what is the worst case scenario, many girls just go a do the treatment and then they ask why did this or that happen - don't! just ask before hand and see the stylist's response stuttering is never a good thing in an answer coming from a proffesional ;)

Anonymous

hi..i hav relly soft curls dat are not relly manageble .so i was thinkin of gettin it straigthened ..wudu suggest to try out smoothening or straigthenins

Diane Porter (reply to Anonymous)

Anon,

How old are you? And how long is your hair?

Have you tried using some straightening or curl-managing hair products with a flat iron?

If you are not sure, I would tell you to go for a temporary treatment instead of a permanent one. It's always better to be sure that you're going to like something before it's there for good.

Anonymous

I am 15 years old.
My hair is sometimes curly or straight and puffy...Always frizzy..
I walk to school my hair ends up being all wavy and puffy..and i hate it..
I thinking about a Japanesse Straightening, but what are the things I have to be aware of????
I dont want my hair to be ruin...Would it be bad if i got it done every few months??

I highley not reccomend a 11 year old have her hair straighet permanent...to young

When going out in the sun, what SPF do you put on?: