Pancreatic Cancer

Pancreatic Cancer Guide

Christine Jeffries

ask: end of life signals for pancreatic cancer patient

Anonymous

My mom is stage 4 PC. I am sure she his it for at least 4 months because her little sister was in hospice for an aggressive brain cancer. Her sister died few weeks ago. Mom is getting chemo. Its horrible. She is in pain from gas. Has diarrhea. Has no energy. I think they made her false promises for a year of quality life. I can't make her comfortable.the cancer is on her lungs liver and pancreas.

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Thanks for your post and I'm very sorry about your mom. 

Chemo can be devastating to some and if death is inevitable some elect to stop treatment and go into hospice. Serious pain meds can endure she is pain free. 

Do she has a plan, other than keeping up with the chemo?

EMM

Dearest fellow humans,
I too have lost a loved one because of this horrible disease. Pancreatic cancer.

My beloved dad was diagnosed in dec 2011. They found shadows in his liver. Metastasis. He chose no treatments and 3 1/2 weeks later he fell asleep in death.

Looking back...
A tickling feeling (as dad described it) in his lower stomach, heartburn. Adult diabetes. Possible symptoms of the allready growing cancer in his pancrea ?? I don't know. Maybe.

In May 2011 dad went in to the hospital. Heavy breathing. Lack of oxygen. Because dad suffered from a heart condition the focus became that. But maybe the cancer too was beginning to affect him.

He was up out of bed 3 days before he died. Next day and the last 2 days he didn't get up any longer, slept a lot. Didn't respond much. Surrounded by friends and family talking with him and each other. Holding his hand, touching his face. We are certain he could hear us and was comforted. Laying on a special airmattress that helped him breath comfortably. Morphine last 2 days.
With family at his side he took a few deep breaths and peacefully fell asleep.

I'm planning to ask the hospital for his medical records. I want to share it with researchers so that others might get help with early detection.

In the meantime, life moves forward. For me, right now, dad and I can't talk because it's like he's on a trip and has no cellphone connection.

I take great comfort in that he's not suffering and that I have the hope of seeing him soon. Not in a distant place. Right here, on earth. Smiling, whistling, walking up and embracing me. A hope that he too expressed before he died.

This hope is, for me, absolute, because it's promised by our awesome Creator. The God who cannot lie.
Eccl 9:10. Acts 24:15. Psalm 37:29. Isa 33:24. Rev 21:4.

I pray God's peace settle over you and within you. (Php 4:6,7)

With sincere love, E ♥

Anonymous (reply to EMM)

Thank-you from my heart for your post. Your Father was a strong and courageous man, Blessings upon him and all of his Loved Ones. I know I would absolutely-definetly make the same choice of treatment from the conventional medical modem. Your post has been quite a revaluation for me, one of the first, that speaks to making a realistic & courageous decision about end of this human life. I am watching closely the progression of 3 folks right now that are in the midst of the typical chemo-radiation-cutting response to pancreatic cancer... it isn't pretty, (not to mention ridiculously off the chart expensive) they are suffering from the "prolonging' treatments", their life joy is gone, covered in the chemo mask and pain killers with continued nausea. Their families are hanging from the same string with empathy for their beloved. They are only waiting to be told there is nothing more that can be done., and finally allowed to pass. So Very Sad to spend your last days with the AMA cancer treatment model. I watched my mother and fathers' passing thru the hands of the AMA. When the time shall come I will face my death as pragmatically and with the courage your father choose. May you be awash in a continual river of LOVE, walking, talking & hugging your beloved Father. in Love n Peace, Seastar

EMM (reply to Anonymous)

Anonymous

Re:Anonymous message 12 Dec 14 at 10:08

So sorry to hear about your mother and how sudden the changes have appeared and developed. Try to find the strength for your parent and yourself and I wish you as good a birthday as it can be for you under the circumstances.

The first anniversary of my wife's passing will be on the 25th December 2014 and I had planned on a fasting day at either Barcelona in Spain my favourite European city or at a semi isolated beach called Poppit Sands near Cardigan , West Waales UK located some 30 miles from my home where I could have a 9 mile walk with her Jill Russell Terrier dog who now follows me everywhere.

I originally opted for the local walk with our son on the basis that if I had gone out in Barcelona I would probably want to be back home on her anniversary so as to be close to her final resting place.

At a late stage our son then turned around last week and said that he would like to go out somewhere on Christmas Day for a meal instead of the long walk.

On the opposite side of the beach where I had planned to walk there is a cliff top hotel that is separated by an estuary . By coincidence I found out last night that one of my sisters and her family are planning to stay at the hotel for 3 days during the Christmas break so I can now arrange for the two of us to have a pre meal shorter walk on the beach followed after by a dinner with our relations so that everybody gets what they want.

In the UK the hotels usually have 5-6 course meals on Christmas Day and the cost is far greater than a normal day so it will be astruggle for me to go through it all given that I was originally thinking of a fasting day. However I am reconcilced to merely eating tiny amounts of food as it will not be a normal day and I relasie that the son is now our future and know that my wife would have wanted us to be together as a family so the revised plan will be a good compromise . I will try to have and enjoy as normal a day as possible even though it will require a real effort on my part because deep down I will want to do something else.

I have started writing the story of my last two years and will try and paste an extract from the introduction and first part on to this site along with some links to special songs on the website U Tube that can be heard when on line.

I wish the compliments of the Season to you and all other contributors to the blog under what are difficult circumstanes for everyone.

Anonymous

My mother had sumptoms in May 2014 and started seeing her primary doctor regularly to figure out what was going on. June 9, her doctor ordered her to go to hospital immediately. That week she had a blocked bile duct and a procedure to temporarily drain into an external bag. July 2014 had Whipple Surgery on what we thought was only going to remove the head of pancreas. After surgery, surgeon said he had to remove all pancreas, gall bladder and spleen. In August 2014, is when we were officially told my mom had Pancreas Cancer in Stage 4. She began radiation treatments and chemo in pill form in late September. She could get around in her walker for short distances and needed wheelchair for long distance. On Nov 11, 2014 we received update on cancer marker.. it had doubled since June. This was also her first day for Chemo through IV. She had another chemo session on Nov 18. By Nov 24, 2014 she was extremely weak and hydrated. Was emitted to hospital and everything just went down hill. Spent Thanksgiving in hospital. Then she was transferred to a rehab center. Her Whipple incision had opened during chemo and was infected. She legs and abdomen have lots of liquid and she rarely gets into a wheelchair, and that is with help. This cancer is horrible. My mom is mostly knocked out due to needing powerful pain meds. It's my birthday today, 12-12-14 and I am so thankful to God to still have my mom. My heart goes out to anyone all who has cancer. I will keep you updated.

Jan 21, update on my post from Dec 12. I just realized I didn't mention that my mom started in home hospice care on 12-11-14. She is still in hospice care. She stopped her anxiety meds and pain meds are received once a day in a small dose. Her swelling has gone down, but still there. Her incision is closing and her bed sores are almost completely gone. We don't know what is happening since we haven't taken her to get scans for cancer marker updates.... but my mom has no pain. She is still determined to walk again, does exercises from her bed. Because of no pancreas, she does take insulin, pancrease pills and pills to prevent bloating. Her sugar levels are really good so she probably gets her daytime shots once a day, instead of 3. She always has to have her nighttime insulin shot. Because she isn't receiving treatment, we have turned to natural remedies and pray to God that she will be with us for years to come. So according to my calculation, she is in month 8 since experiencing pancreas cancer symptoms. Again, thank you to all for sharing your stories and you are all in my thoughts and prayers.

Anonymous

I have just been reading thru all the blog comments on Pancreatic Cancer and my heart felt sympathies and Gods blessings for all of you.
My story is that my wife's mother was diagnosed with PC in Aug 2014 which has been aggressive. It did not allow for a Whipple Operation and did not respond to first round Radiotherapy and Chemotherapy 5-FU. Operations have been performed to insert stents in the bile duct and duodenum to relieve some of the PC problems.
It is now Dec 2014 and PC has rapidly progressed with treatment by doctors for quality of life. the PC symptoms are the same as many have mentioned:
* Extreme weight loss
* No appetite for food
* Extreme fatigue - sleeping more
* Abdominal and stomach pains needing strong drugs

There are some good days and bad days. We pray the she is with is for Christmas 2014. For all of you supporting those suffering this terrible disease - you are the strength they need. We wish you the best possible Christmas 2014.

Thank you so much for your good wishes, Anon and we wish the same to you. 

I hope your mother in law is pain free and enjoys the Christmas season.

Peace to you all,