Pancreatic Cancer

Pancreatic Cancer Guide

ask: end of life signals for pancreatic cancer patient

Anonymous

My friend has PC can't hold anything down. Has lost weight. THEY gave him four to six months in January. Throws up the morphine.please tell me what I can do and expect. ...pennymetheny. Hendersonville Tennessee

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

I am very sorry about your friend. 

Every case is different. If you are his caregiver (whether unofficial or not), ask his doctors what you can do to help in his particular case. Unfortunately we cannot give out specific advice. Help him with washing, cleaning up and be there for comfort. 

Thank you for being such a good friend. 

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Susan Cody)

I had to remove the personal details you left. For your own safety/privacy, EmpowHER does not allow personal information to be posted publicly. EmpowHER Moderators only contact readers via the website. 

Again, please talk to his medical team about how you can help. 

Anonymous

My mom is stage 4 PC. I am sure she his it for at least 4 months because her little sister was in hospice for an aggressive brain cancer. Her sister died few weeks ago. Mom is getting chemo. Its horrible. She is in pain from gas. Has diarrhea. Has no energy. I think they made her false promises for a year of quality life. I can't make her comfortable.the cancer is on her lungs liver and pancreas.

Update on my mom. I got her weight up. The first 2 rounds of chemo didn't do much but she made it thru them because I kept feeding her anything that tasted good to her. That was steak lobst3r scallops and tons of butter. I got her edibles to manage the naseau and appetite. She ihas a much better quality of life now. The outcome is delayed but she has quality time for now.

Great to hear this Anon! 

You are a daughter any mother would be proud of. 

I'm so sorry about your dear mom.

I know the feeling. Watching a loved one suffer can feel frustrating. Though there are things we cannot do there are things we can do.

Your presence. Hearing your voice. Feeling your hand. Just being there next to her.
Read to her. The newspaper. A book. Poetry. The Bible.
Watch TV with her. A good movie. Have some music on low.
Sit next to her when she needs to rest. She'll find comfort in opening her eyes and you being there with a smile.

That's what we did for my dad. See my post below.

All the best to you all. May God's peace settle within and over you. Php 4:6,7.

With much sincere love, ms E ♥

Thanks for your post and I'm very sorry about your mom. 

Chemo can be devastating to some and if death is inevitable some elect to stop treatment and go into hospice. Serious pain meds can endure she is pain free. 

Do she has a plan, other than keeping up with the chemo?

EMM

Dearest fellow humans,
I too have lost a loved one because of this horrible disease. Pancreatic cancer.

My beloved dad was diagnosed in dec 2011. They found shadows in his liver. Metastasis. He chose no treatments and 3 1/2 weeks later he fell asleep in death.

Looking back...
A tickling feeling (as dad described it) in his lower stomach, heartburn. Adult diabetes. Possible symptoms of the allready growing cancer in his pancrea ?? I don't know. Maybe.

In May 2011 dad went in to the hospital. Heavy breathing. Lack of oxygen. Because dad suffered from a heart condition the focus became that. But maybe the cancer too was beginning to affect him.

He was up out of bed 3 days before he died. Next day and the last 2 days he didn't get up any longer, slept a lot. Didn't respond much. Surrounded by friends and family talking with him and each other. Holding his hand, touching his face. We are certain he could hear us and was comforted. Laying on a special airmattress that helped him breath comfortably. Morphine last 2 days.
With family at his side he took a few deep breaths and peacefully fell asleep.

I'm planning to ask the hospital for his medical records. I want to share it with researchers so that others might get help with early detection.

In the meantime, life moves forward. For me, right now, dad and I can't talk because it's like he's on a trip and has no cellphone connection.

I take great comfort in that he's not suffering and that I have the hope of seeing him soon. Not in a distant place. Right here, on earth. Smiling, whistling, walking up and embracing me. A hope that he too expressed before he died.

This hope is, for me, absolute, because it's promised by our awesome Creator. The God who cannot lie.
Eccl 9:10. Acts 24:15. Psalm 37:29. Isa 33:24. Rev 21:4.

I pray God's peace settle over you and within you. (Php 4:6,7)

With sincere love, E ♥

Have you joined the IUD trend? What kind of birth control do you use? :