ask: end of life signals for pancreatic cancer patient

Anonymous

Hello, my mom hasas pancreatic cancer she is resting at home bu t can barely walk. She is so thin & fragile. My mom complains of a pain in her esophagus when she eats she is also vomiting. What can I do to help her? She is only 63

Maryann Gromisch RN Guide (reply to Anonymous)

I can appreciate what you are going through. My mother was 63 years old when she died of leukemia.

If your mother is at home, considering calling Hospice. Hospice care offer services based on palliative care for the terminally ill. Nurses will visit and offer support to both you and your mother.

Talk with your mother's oncologist for advice on how to ease her pain.

Wishing you the best,

Anonymous

I am sorry to learn of your recent trauatic experience and the predicament you find yourself in. My late wife was within a few months of having an operation to remove a growth on the pancreas and when we discussed the situation with the surgeon ( UK based where they have specialist pancreatic centres around the country) we were informed that it would involve a 6 month recovery and be possible to function with a reduced size pancreas and without the spleen with the aid of medication . With a short course of follow up precautionary chemotherapy they were predicting a life expectancy of 5-10 years but they had a few persons who had made another 15-25 years.

Unfortunately a sudden change in the development of the cancer meant it became inoperable so the fact that your relation has had the surgery is a good sign and bodes well for the future. I hope you will find the inner strength to be positive and strong for your relation.

Anonymous

My mom was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in August 2013 at the age of 90. Because of her age she opted out of all treatment. She was very healthy, never smoked, drank and was very obedient to a healthy diet. She came from a family of 7 and was the only one not to have diabetes. She did have a stent put in to help drain the bile. The only medication she was taking was a thyroid replacement. It wasn't until December of 2014, she started not feeling well and the doctors discovered the stent was clogged, they did their best to clear it out as much as possible. The last 6 weeks of her life she started getting tired, little to no appetite but was always as spunky as she could be. The day she passed she was vomiting black stuff, which was a sign her liver shut down. She could not get comfortable so the hopice nurse advised a small dose of morphine and a lorazepan. My mom being so healthy at first refused the morphine becuase she was not in pain, but once she knew it would make her comfortable she agreed to take. Within the hour after taking these meds she said "I'm dieing, she rolled over and was gone" 2 1/2 months short of her 92nd birthday. I live in a different state and traveled back to see her at least 3 times a year. She lived with just the stent for almost 18 months and enjoyed that time in her life, there were times when I thougth the doctors misdiagnosed her, she was so active. I believe we will be together again some day, but its so hard with her gone. She seemed so invinsible. I had to share this story becuase of the quality of live she was able to enjoy for the almost 18 months after being diagnosed. She was the only person in her family to have cancer. So it was so surreal to us all, she was so healthy. I am just thankful she didn't suffer long.

Anonymous

Hello all,
My father in law was just told he has pancreatic cancer, at this moment he is in surgery, they are removing part of his spleen and his whole pancreas, not sure what all this means. How do u live without these? If this is the surgery what is the life expectancy afterwards? My hubby is a wreck, after in law is in NY and we in FL. Hubby had just came off vacation when we got the news so his job will not allow him to go again so soon. Can anyone, someone help us understand. How long will he have after the surgery? Confused and scared. Thank u

I am truly sorry to hear about your father-in-law's diagnosis and can appreciate that your anxiety is compounded by distance.

All of your questions can be best answered by the surgeon who is performing this surgery.

Ask your mother-in-law or other family member who is with your father-in-law to arrange for the surgeon to contact you and your husband. Either get the surgeon's contact number or give your phone number.

Best regards,

Anonymous

My friend has PC can't hold anything down. Has lost weight. THEY gave him four to six months in January. Throws up the morphine.please tell me what I can do and expect. ...pennymetheny. Hendersonville Tennessee

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

I am very sorry about your friend. 

Every case is different. If you are his caregiver (whether unofficial or not), ask his doctors what you can do to help in his particular case. Unfortunately we cannot give out specific advice. Help him with washing, cleaning up and be there for comfort. 

Thank you for being such a good friend. 

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Susan Cody)

I had to remove the personal details you left. For your own safety/privacy, EmpowHER does not allow personal information to be posted publicly. EmpowHER Moderators only contact readers via the website. 

Again, please talk to his medical team about how you can help. 

Anonymous

My mom is stage 4 PC. I am sure she his it for at least 4 months because her little sister was in hospice for an aggressive brain cancer. Her sister died few weeks ago. Mom is getting chemo. Its horrible. She is in pain from gas. Has diarrhea. Has no energy. I think they made her false promises for a year of quality life. I can't make her comfortable.the cancer is on her lungs liver and pancreas.

Pancreatic Cancer

Pancreatic Cancer Guide

Christine Jeffries

Have you joined the IUD trend? What kind of birth control do you use? :