Pancreatic Cancer

Pancreatic Cancer Guide

Christine Jeffries

ask: end of life signals for pancreatic cancer patient

Anonymous

My mom is stage 4 PC. I am sure she his it for at least 4 months because her little sister was in hospice for an aggressive brain cancer. Her sister died few weeks ago. Mom is getting chemo. Its horrible. She is in pain from gas. Has diarrhea. Has no energy. I think they made her false promises for a year of quality life. I can't make her comfortable.the cancer is on her lungs liver and pancreas.

I'm so sorry about your dear mom.

I know the feeling. Watching a loved one suffer can feel frustrating. Though there are things we cannot do there are things we can do.

Your presence. Hearing your voice. Feeling your hand. Just being there next to her.
Read to her. The newspaper. A book. Poetry. The Bible.
Watch TV with her. A good movie. Have some music on low.
Sit next to her when she needs to rest. She'll find comfort in opening her eyes and you being there with a smile.

That's what we did for my dad. See my post below.

All the best to you all. May God's peace settle within and over you. Php 4:6,7.

With much sincere love, ms E ♥

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Thanks for your post and I'm very sorry about your mom. 

Chemo can be devastating to some and if death is inevitable some elect to stop treatment and go into hospice. Serious pain meds can endure she is pain free. 

Do she has a plan, other than keeping up with the chemo?

EMM

Dearest fellow humans,
I too have lost a loved one because of this horrible disease. Pancreatic cancer.

My beloved dad was diagnosed in dec 2011. They found shadows in his liver. Metastasis. He chose no treatments and 3 1/2 weeks later he fell asleep in death.

Looking back...
A tickling feeling (as dad described it) in his lower stomach, heartburn. Adult diabetes. Possible symptoms of the allready growing cancer in his pancrea ?? I don't know. Maybe.

In May 2011 dad went in to the hospital. Heavy breathing. Lack of oxygen. Because dad suffered from a heart condition the focus became that. But maybe the cancer too was beginning to affect him.

He was up out of bed 3 days before he died. Next day and the last 2 days he didn't get up any longer, slept a lot. Didn't respond much. Surrounded by friends and family talking with him and each other. Holding his hand, touching his face. We are certain he could hear us and was comforted. Laying on a special airmattress that helped him breath comfortably. Morphine last 2 days.
With family at his side he took a few deep breaths and peacefully fell asleep.

I'm planning to ask the hospital for his medical records. I want to share it with researchers so that others might get help with early detection.

In the meantime, life moves forward. For me, right now, dad and I can't talk because it's like he's on a trip and has no cellphone connection.

I take great comfort in that he's not suffering and that I have the hope of seeing him soon. Not in a distant place. Right here, on earth. Smiling, whistling, walking up and embracing me. A hope that he too expressed before he died.

This hope is, for me, absolute, because it's promised by our awesome Creator. The God who cannot lie.
Eccl 9:10. Acts 24:15. Psalm 37:29. Isa 33:24. Rev 21:4.

I pray God's peace settle over you and within you. (Php 4:6,7)

With sincere love, E ♥

Fifitwo (reply to EMM)

Dear Sister E,
Thank you for expressing yourself, I was very comforted by your words. In October 2014 lost a brother and close family friend in my congregation to PC. My dad had different symptoms than our friend had. (Friend:flu-like, vomiting, weight loss -Dad: back pain dr said was arthritis, itchy inside ears, develop into dry skin on face/ear then thru body as jaundice developed) After CT scan at the end of January we were told my dad has pancreatic mass, and just this week we found it spread to the liver. I will take your idea and also make sure our symptoms are shared with the doctors that originally treated him and those that diagnosed. When he had different symptoms than our friend, I discounted the fear of PC.

My dad knows the truth but has never made it his own. I am comforted that this isn't the end, just the end in this terrible world. Seeing how hard people fight to stay alive shows our true longing for life as we know it - to be on this earth. Playing golf, hiking, planting, being with family and friends. He starts chemo next week. We have not been told what his prognosis is. I'm suspecting that comes with the biopsy results next week. But after weeks of google searching all aspects of this, I was happy to come across your post :) Certainly the system is coming to an end, and the our strength and comforting words from friends will keep us built up (1 thess 4:18). Thank you for that and I look forward to meeting you and your dad one day!

Anonymous (reply to Fifitwo)

My dearest family ♥
So sorry you have to go through this.
My beloved dad was not baptized either but knew the truth about the condition of the dead and had expressed belief in the resurrection to the brother who studied with him.

My suggestion...no need to hold back. Water the prescious seed that has been planted. With joy and sincerity and balance talk about our bright future. "Walk" with him through fields and roads. Swim in oceans. Whatever he enjoys.
Surround him with love, smiles, hugs and laughter. Music he likes.

Jah's wisdom and peace be with you all.

It's gonna be - okay.

♥ E

Anonymous (reply to EMM)

Dearest 'E'
Thank-you for explaining the experiences that your dad went through and how you yourself handled the situation. I was so pleased when you used the phrase 'fell asleep in death'. I said to my sister nearby: this is one of our 'friends'. As I read on and saw the words about living on the earth and the wonderful scriptures I said 'it IS, it IS our dear sister! I pray you remain comforted with the trustworthy scriptures that we have complete faith in. May Jehovah bless your kind heart! I lost my mom last year around this time. She was not diagnosed with anything specific, but did have lower abdominal pain and had suddenly lost her mind 4 months before. She had to go into a care home. She could not swallow anything the last couple of days. She simply went into a coma about a day and a half before she slipped a away. I was so thankful that she went peacefully. I view it as a blessing. I was with her by myself when she went. It was very special as I felt such peace and safety. I prayed at that time and felt so secure, it is indescribable. I love our Creator for his mercy and help at the right time. May we all look forward to the time when we will see our dear ones again...and work together to restore this earth to paradise!

:'-) That day I finally understood Php 4:6,7. It came down over and within me in layers. Jah's continued peace be with you my family. Love ♥ E

Thank-you dearest 'E' for your encouraging words. You explain things in a very loving and wonderful way. It is true what you explained about Phillipians 4:6,7. It truly was a peace that descended in layers and like an all-encompassing warm blanket. It was with me for days as I had to make arrangements by myself. Sometimes we are alone to handle things, but never is our Father far away. Never has he failed to strengthen me when I needed his comfort and direction. It is so nice to know others like yourself are all over this world and understanding what the hope is for the future and how our dear ones will enjoy life again. Our spiritual family is a beautiful gift. May your days be filled with joy and happiness! Hugs,
Laurie

EMM (reply to Anonymous)

♥♥♥ E

Have you joined the IUD trend? What kind of birth control do you use? :