Fosamax: Adverse effects from one study; any other recommended medication?

By October 16, 2008 - 1:22pm

Last April, there were some observational studies showing that Fosamax and Boniva had some adverse effects, everything from possibly causing heart arrhythmia as well as being linked to "spontaneous" bone fractures (these drugs prevent bone loss, but also prevent bone healing and prevent new bone growth; old bone is more brittle than new bone).

My mom takes Fosamax, and has osteopenia. She's wondering what else she can take for medication, as she is currently exercising (treadmill and weights), eats well, takes multivitamin AND calcium/Vitamin D supplements (1700 IU and 1700 mg, respectively).

Any additional studies (that are not just observational) that have been done since April, or are in the works?

Here is where I saw the fosamax article on adverse effects:

Hi Free2Bme

I did a fairly long search to see if there are any new studies in the works regarding Fosamax and couldn't get any decent information. There may be studies being done as I type but studies are often kept fairly quiet until the results come out.

I would tell your mom to talk to her doctor regarding any potential dangers of taking the drug, and they can decide between themselves if the risks outweigh the benefits or vice versa. I've heard a lot about the side effects to these drugs and they are quite scary!

Meanwhile, kudos to her for being proactive with supplements, exercise and nutrition!

Osteopenia Guide