ask: Garlic intolerance = digestive nightmare!

I have a self-diagnosed intolerance to garlic that is getting worse with age. My symptoms include terrible gas, bloating and up to 2 days of constipation or diarrhea. I also emit a strong garlic odor on my breath, skin and when I experience gas and bowel movements following a dose. I am frustrated because I have finally admitted to myself that garlic is an issue for me and have been telling restaurants that I am ALLERGIC to garlic. I still get served garlic consistently. I am generally a very healthful person and know garlic has many health benefits. I am wondering if there is a natural supplement of some sort that might counteract garlic's negative effects on me so that I can consume it regularly and without the abdominal pain and digestive issues I experience now.

Anonymous

There is a very helpful Facebook Group, Garlic Allergy/Intolerance. More than 1000 members with lots of information, suggestions, recipes, and a listing of "safe" store-bought foods like spaghetti sauce.

Anonymous

I have figured out that I too have a garlic allergy...I get a lot of pain and gas...but more shockingly I just discovered that just the smell of it can cause it, I don't even have to eat it...My son a chef and is making pasta, he just said smell that and put a garlic clove under my nose and within minutes i'm burping and in agony!! I didn't know this was possible.

Anonymous

I also have "garlic fever" - suffered all my life. Tried everything to no avail & would give anything for a cure as I love the flavor. Reactions - can't sleep & feel major anxiety, with increased heart rate. Sometimes I think I may have a heart attack. My stomach feels like a hydrogen bomb & must wear loose clothing. My dad was hospitalized after garlic spaghetti dinner. Me, my brother & nephew also share this. Regretfully, I must cut down on onion and shallot intake.

Anonymous

I have recently self diagnosed some sort of allergy to garlic as well....just out of the blue. I can't even smell it anymore with my stomach churning and if I get any amount of it its horrible!! Terrible indigestion , diarrhea with severe cramping and gassy/belchy! I'm miserable for a couple days. I do have a hiatal hernia so I'm wondering if that is part of the problem however I've had the hernia for a while and have never had this problem with garlic.

Anonymous

i have recently developed some reaction to garlic since taking a Metal Detox supplement with high garlic/allycin content. This is supposed to help with heavy metal toxicity but I feel much the worse for taking this supplement! i have noticed over the past few years that I have more negative reactions to garlic esp. but not limited to raw garlic. What are recommendations to eliminate/moderate effects of garlic - I know it is supposed to be good for you, but the effects are not worth the suffering.
Thanks, Lucinda

Anonymous

Thanks, Lucinda

Anonymous

I don't know why I didn't think of looking this up before! My garlic "allergy" is a nightmare, additionally so because I can neither smell or taste it! So I consume it unknowingly (unless my sister's there to tell me) and end up barely making it home: Writhing pain, explosive d...., etc. Thanks, peeps, y'all hang in there!

Anonymous

Well I love garlic but I have this symptoms after eating garlic which is vomiting and feel too much pain in my stomach and like a fire in my stomach and feeling uncomfortable too all three to two days :(

Anonymous

I have a severe reaction to garlic and onions. Similar to other posts I get extreme heartburn which is alarming as I have heart issues. Pains in my upper back ! Bloating and gas and the symptoms can go on for days.
I consulted a gut doctor and he suggested I look onto low FODMAP diet by Sue Shepherd PHD and Peter Gibson MD. A very helpful book that explains why in detail,with list of what I can et..one being green onions but just the green part. The reference has been very helpful, however sometimes I "accidentally" am exposed ...grrrr!
Good luck, I know how awful it can be as I have lost many a nights sleep and days of extreme upset because of this condition.

Heartburn doesn't affect your Heart, thankfully

Contact Dermatitis

Contact Dermatitis Guide

Have you joined the IUD trend? What kind of birth control do you use? :