ask: Garlic intolerance = digestive nightmare!

I have a self-diagnosed intolerance to garlic that is getting worse with age. My symptoms include terrible gas, bloating and up to 2 days of constipation or diarrhea. I also emit a strong garlic odor on my breath, skin and when I experience gas and bowel movements following a dose. I am frustrated because I have finally admitted to myself that garlic is an issue for me and have been telling restaurants that I am ALLERGIC to garlic. I still get served garlic consistently. I am generally a very healthful person and know garlic has many health benefits. I am wondering if there is a natural supplement of some sort that might counteract garlic's negative effects on me so that I can consume it regularly and without the abdominal pain and digestive issues I experience now.

Anonymous

I also have experienced horrible reactions to garlic. Starts with burping within about 15 minutes of ingesting, then in an hour I'm vomiting my guts out and diarrhea in between. I will be sick like this for nearly 24 he's, no exaggeration. I have found that taking taking prilosec before hand and tums after helps. Only fresh garlic tends to make me this sick.

Mikez

I have the same garlic/onion issue. Garlic seems to be worse than onions but there both up there. I'm not sure if I'm allergic, have an intolerance, or if the food is just giving me awful indigestion. My systoms are indigestion, soured taste in mouth, soured stomach, bloating, extreme belching, constipation, and the odor emits strongly through my breath and pores. It's really awful. I do try and avoid these foods but I find it almost impossible especially when out to eat as garlic is commonly used in many dishes plus they have great health benefits. On top of all this I have a dairy allergy so now I can almost eat nothing! I was wondering if anyone has suggestions on what I can take to counter these effects. I was also wondering what kind of specialist I should seek for more options? Do I see an allergist? Gastrointestinal dr? Nutrician? Thanks for all your help as I really really need some options.

Anonymous

I also have this problem. I finally found a way to eat garlic at home without any side effects. Cut the clove lengthwise and remove to inner "tail" as I call it. No more odor, no more pain, no more gas, no more bloating! Now if I can only find a way to convince restaurants to do this. Good luck!

Anonymous

There is a very helpful Facebook Group, Garlic Allergy/Intolerance. More than 1000 members with lots of information, suggestions, recipes, and a listing of "safe" store-bought foods like spaghetti sauce.

Anonymous

I have figured out that I too have a garlic allergy...I get a lot of pain and gas...but more shockingly I just discovered that just the smell of it can cause it, I don't even have to eat it...My son a chef and is making pasta, he just said smell that and put a garlic clove under my nose and within minutes i'm burping and in agony!! I didn't know this was possible.

Anonymous

I also have "garlic fever" - suffered all my life. Tried everything to no avail & would give anything for a cure as I love the flavor. Reactions - can't sleep & feel major anxiety, with increased heart rate. Sometimes I think I may have a heart attack. My stomach feels like a hydrogen bomb & must wear loose clothing. My dad was hospitalized after garlic spaghetti dinner. Me, my brother & nephew also share this. Regretfully, I must cut down on onion and shallot intake.

Anonymous

I have recently self diagnosed some sort of allergy to garlic as well....just out of the blue. I can't even smell it anymore with my stomach churning and if I get any amount of it its horrible!! Terrible indigestion , diarrhea with severe cramping and gassy/belchy! I'm miserable for a couple days. I do have a hiatal hernia so I'm wondering if that is part of the problem however I've had the hernia for a while and have never had this problem with garlic.

Anonymous

i have recently developed some reaction to garlic since taking a Metal Detox supplement with high garlic/allycin content. This is supposed to help with heavy metal toxicity but I feel much the worse for taking this supplement! i have noticed over the past few years that I have more negative reactions to garlic esp. but not limited to raw garlic. What are recommendations to eliminate/moderate effects of garlic - I know it is supposed to be good for you, but the effects are not worth the suffering.
Thanks, Lucinda

Anonymous

Thanks, Lucinda

Anonymous

I don't know why I didn't think of looking this up before! My garlic "allergy" is a nightmare, additionally so because I can neither smell or taste it! So I consume it unknowingly (unless my sister's there to tell me) and end up barely making it home: Writhing pain, explosive d...., etc. Thanks, peeps, y'all hang in there!

Contact Dermatitis

Contact Dermatitis Guide

Have you joined the IUD trend? What kind of birth control do you use? :