Getting Pregnant right before your period...

By June 13, 2011 - 11:10am

I have been taking birth control pills for about 6-7 months and took the last package in May. So, the expected date I figured I would get my period is sometime last week so the approximate date would be June 8-10th. As of today I still have not gotten my period and me and my husband did it (unprotected) on saturday. Is there a chance that I could still get pregnant?

If someone could give me a bit of info on this that would be great. I can provide more information if needed....

Oh okay. I did do a little bit of research and heard it would take 1-3 months to get back into the rhythm of a normal cycle. I guess I can wait till the end of the month and see what's going on....

Thanks for your help!

Oh no well, when I stopped taking the pill I did not skip the sugar pills. I took those and did not start taking the next pack like normal. So when I got my period while being on the sugar pill in May, my period stopped on it's own.

So, when would be the best time to take a pregnancy test in this case???

HERWriter Guide (reply to pasntai)

Hi again

The sugar pills have nothing in them, they are just reminder pills. If you got your period then (or breakthrough bleeding), your new cycle began and you will need to wait about a month to test - about four weeks from your last bleeding and when you are expecting your next period. Don't waste money testing before your period is due, so it sounds like you might want to try around the end of June or early July. And since you have come off the pill, your cycle may be a little irregular for the next 1-3 months. So don't focus too much on dates for now - just test about four weeks after your last period.

Hi pasntai

Thanks for your post.

If you are not taking the Pill anymore (since your last package in May) and having unprotected sex, then you can get pregnant. Generally this happens mid-cycle (pregnancy) although since everyone's cycle is different, you will need to now track your natural (non-hormone regulated) cycle for a few months to see where you stand. You should have had your period a few days after your stopped taking your Pills in May. If you haven't had it yet, take a pregnancy test to rule that out.

Thanks for writing!