Hair Stopped Growing

By January 29, 2011 - 11:22am

Hi, the hair on the right side of my head has stopped growing it has been over a year, I have seen a dermatologist and he said my scalp and hair were clean, no skin problems. I got pregnant when I was 40, had a great pregnancy back into my clothes in 5 weeks! After I stopped breastfeeding it seems all my problems started, gained 80 lbs, my blood pressure and cholesteral all started rising after tests the doctors said I had PCOS put me on Metformin, the weight gain stopped but I have been unable to lose any. I keep myself on a very strict diet so my cholesteral and BP have dropped to a high normal but I don't know what to do about my hair, it is visibly shorter and thinner on the right side. I waited about 9 months to cut it and it was 2 inches longer on my left side, from the front right to the back. Any help would be great!

You should calm down and not worry cause I had exactly the same problem and I found a solution for it. Doctors said everything was fine but definitely it wasn't (since my hair was growing less and less as time went by). I decided to take my hair issues into my own hands and that's when I ran into an article in a magazine talking about hair health and improving hair quality, and eureka, I found out what it seemed to be the be-all end-all of hair health, and that is biotin. Since this was also an important thing for me, I didn't just want to get any Biotin out there, I have always sworn by Certified products when it comes to supplements, and I immediately purchased my biotin from here www.certifiedbiotin.com . Great quality and not only my hair would benefit from it but also my skin and my nails! I took it - and still take it - twice a day. To tell you the truth my hair didn't just recover its growth rate right from the next day but after 8-12 weeks of regular use I could see a noticeable improvement. In fact, people started giving me compliments about my hair and some friends were even asking my how was it that I achieved it.

Well I'm no professional but I have been looking for answers for this too since I cut my hair pretty short last year and I'm having a hard time growing it out on my left side. The hair is a different texture than my right.. Its more damaged and dry. I use a lot of moisturizing products and oils for this but its still not growing. The answers I found were that I either fried my hair with all the coloring I do to it (which I make sure to treat extra nice and give it time between doing this) or what I think it really is, is that I sleep on my left side. This would explain why my hair is damaged since I was using a cotton pillow that sucks the moisture out. Also my hair follicles are being deprived of oxygen at night when my heads jammed up against a pillow. I just recently purchased a silk pillow case to help with my moisture problem but I don't think my hair is growing much faster.. Pretty sure I need to sleep on my back for that.. Too bad I can't really help how I'm laying after I fall asleep. Hope this might help anyone else!

I don't have a cure, but know this: Everyone's hair is dead. Hair is not a living thing. It's therefore the health of the follicle, scalp and other things we need to focus on. Taking isolated vitamins like biotin does not cause hair growth (manufacturers love that we think it does). Hair loss/growth cessation could be from autoimmune issues or other causes. If you want to use nutrients, make sure they come from food, not a pill or shampoo. Vitamins and minerals found in whole foods can help with hair growth. That's why salmon, walnuts and carrots are recommended. Look up nutrients associated with hair. Don't go broke buying biotin.

Please help. My hair has always been my pride and fucking joy. I figured since it is pretty damn healthy, it could deal with some bleach damage. And I figured the master stylist who did all the color-corrections would know how much would be too much. I was wrong, and now I want to burst into tears every time I look at my hair or touch it. I just don't know what to do. my hair has also NEVER been shorter than this and it breaks and falls out. What should i do to regrow hair?

HERWriter Guide (reply to Samantha80)

Hi Samantha

I know the last thing you want to hear is that your hair will grow back but it will.

I'm really sorry someone ruined your hair. In fact, I would call the salon and ask for a complimentary treatment called the "Malibu treatment" that can help with the damage. Malibu also has a range of vegan shampoos and conditioners (about $30 for a set at a salon) that you could use too.

Hair is dead - you will have to wait for new hair to grow before seeing healthy hair again. But the above treatments can help ease the breaking and damage that you already have.

Again, I'm sorry this happened and you have to wait for new growth and watch your hair like this. Take a biotin supplement to help with hair growth, it'll help. I hope your hair grows quickly.

I have had the same problem for over 2 years - I have tried Nioxin shampoos, Tea Tree Oil Shampoos, Romaine, etc. It is not a matter of hair loss - which so many people seem to give advice for - but no hair growth. I have not gone to any hairdresser that is knowledgeable about this - they all think I am cutting my hair between appointments. My right side of my hair is growing like crazy so I have to constantly cut it. Also, I don't know if you have the same issue but my hair also appears to dead and needs extra conditioner to make it look healthy. I know how frustrating this is for all of us trying to find an answer because so far there does not seem to be any help for this condition. I was thinking of sending in a question to Dr. Oz or the show The Doctors since they sometimes look for answers......

Sorry - it should be Romaine not romaine!

Ok - lets see if I can get past the spell check ....it is Rogaine that I have used.

Does anyone have any updates? I am experiencing the same thing and it's so depressing!

I'd love to know if anyone has found any answers about this. I have a friend who's 4-year-old daughter has the same issue. The hair stops growing at a certain length, only on one side. She has noticed it since her hair has ever grown long. So this issue probably started at birth. Very mysterious.

Hair Loss

Hair Loss Guide