Help for diagnosis

By Anonymous April 3, 2012 - 12:25pm

I am an uninsured 33year old woman that has been having many issues for the past several years with, what I believe, is my heart. I have been fortunate to have other testing that has ruled out my lungs and brain, but something always happens before we can get to testing my heart, which I really believe is the culprit. I am a mother that is worried about getting to watch my daughter grow up because this has been untreated and undiagnosed for so many years. Everything I have read on your website is exactly what I have experienced, but I can not afford to see a doctor to go anywhere with this information. There is one clinic I know of down here, but there is never an opening to be seen. Are you aware of any organization that would help me?
Thank you for your time.
Becky Badilla

Dear Becky,
So sorry for the delay in responding to your note. I am also sorry to hear that you are felling so lousy. You are a young woman and have every right to expect to feel well. That said, it is a little difficult to sort out your symptoms with out more details/studies.

The most common form of heart disease, coronary artery disease, which involves blockages to heart is fairly rare in otherwise health woman in your age group, especially in the absence of other risk factors (diabetes, high blood pressure, abnormal cholesterol, etc.). Two are possibilities are worth considering, a heart valve problems and heart rhythm problems. Unfortunately, assessing these problems require specific tests. Have you ever had an echocardiogram (heart ultrasound)? a long term heart monitor?

The big challenge in sorting this out is your lack of insurance if you need further testing and care. I sympathize with your dilemma since you clearly are motivated to get better. Is Metropolitan Nashville General Hospital an option? I did some research and they seem to provide the largest proportion of charitable care in Nashville.
Good luck,

Dr. Aklog

Looks like there may have been an error in contacting the doctor. We're working to correct it asap!

Hi Becky

We're happy you found us and we'll try to help you as much as we can!

Firstly, we need more information from you.

You said " Everything I have read on your website is exactly what I have experienced, but I can not afford to see a doctor to go anywhere with this information."

This is great that our articles and information might be pointing you in the right direction but which articles or heart health conditions are you reading about? What condition (s) do you think you may have? Please let us know!

Also, please let us know where you live. If you prefer, you can send me a private message with this information.  Then I can respond privately about that but can also use this public ASK to continue to help (especially since other readers may have valuable information for you, too).

We look forward to hearing back from you!

I apologize, I realized after I sent it that I hadn't put the area. We are outside of Knoxville, in Maryville, TN. It has been 6-7years since I first noticed it. It started with after I would exercise, especially on the treadmill, that my heart would beat abnormally fast for a typical workout. I would get in the shower, and the bottom of my legs would start tingling and left side of my chest would feel "thirsty." (That is the only way I know how to describe it.) The dr then thought I had a neuropathy, but never could find the cause after continual blood work and an MRI. It would be extreme in the summer and seem to do better in the winter. (That time I lived in AZ) When we moved here I lost insurance and things got worse. I was continually having these pains in my chest from the slightest exersion. I would spontaneously dance with my daughter, or sing in the car and I would run out of breath and have the pains. I had to completely stop using the treadmill or running because they were so severe. I ended up in the hospital one day after a hike(on an incline) at friends house because I thought I was having a heart attack. My left jaw, arm and chest were hurting for hours before I finally went, I also had a terrible migraine. I didn't think I was going to live that night, but my EKG came back fine. I had no money for further testing. Any incline, or sudden activity sets it off, or being in the heat. I get real weak and lightheaded,and the pain is always in my left side of my chest. And that thirstiness is usually present in most times. I don't know if this matters, but I also retain water weight during the warm months, and it sheds right off in the winter.

Hi again Anon

Thanks for more details.

I have submitted your question to a heart specialist. Please check back in the next few days for a reply.

Thank you so much, I really appreciate it. And I also didn't mention, but I am in shape, do not smoke, drink any alcohol at all, or do drugs. I do drink caffeinated chai tea lattes, but that is the worst of it.

Best wishes,

Was I forgotten?

Hi Becky!

I'm checking into this right now and will have more info for you in a few minutes.

HERWriter Guide (reply to Susan Cody)

Hi again Becky.

I'd like to apologize for this delay, I'm contacting our specialist again and checking what may have happened or if there was a communication error.

One way or the other, I'll be in touch again on this page tomorrow. This is very unusual for us so your understanding is much appreciated even though I know you're naturally very anxious for help.