how can i get rid of the itchiness of dermititis?

By February 11, 2011 - 9:00am

i started getting little red spots on my hand on sunday and by monday i had them allover my hands, i work in a hairdresser so obviously i kind of knew it was dermititis, it also started to appear on my feet, i was so itchy it woke me up for an hour in the middle of the night on sunday and monday, so i went to the docs on tuesday and he gave me hydrocortisione, i tried that for tuesday and wednesday but by wednesday night i was so itchy and my foot was all swollen and blistered, so on thursday i went back to the doctors, he gave me a stronger steriod cream and some antihystomines, ive tried them both and its still not taking the itchiness out! im wondering if you could give me any advice?

Hi staceywilsonx

Thanks for your post and welcome! I'm sorry you are in so much pain. I was quite uncomfortable after I read your story so I can imagine how frustrating and painful this must be for you.

The medications that your doctor put you on should really have kicked in. Were you examined and properly diagnosed as having dermatitis? If not, you may have something else going on. Although I will say that someone in your profession is fairly susceptible to dermatitis.

Are you on prednisone now? This is a steroid with cortisone.

From our Dermatitis page:

Treatment also focuses on caring for skin and relieving symptoms. Methods include:

Skin Care
■Wash the area with water and mild soap or cleanser and gently pat dry.
■Apply a barrier ointment such as petrolatum or vaseline.
■Do not poke at or cut open blisters. They can become infected.
■Cover blisters with dry bandages.
Do not use any of these medications until after you have discussed them with your doctor.

■Over-the-counter or prescription creams and ointments containing cortisone
■Prescription medications containing corticosteroids, such as prednisone (for severe cases)
■Prescription or over-the-counter antihistamines (may relieve itching in some cases, but not always useful for contact dermatitis)
■Phototherapy or immunosuppressants, such as menthotrexate or cyclosporine, in the most severe, resistant, and chronic cases

You can read a lot more here: http://www.empowher.com/condition/contact-dermatitis

Have you considered phototherapy, if this is something you are suffering for this chronically?

Also, can you tell me how long you've been on the steroid?

I hope to hear back from you and I do hope you resolve this as soon as possible-