How can I stop leg cramps?

By HERWriter Blogger June 27, 2014 - 10:32am

Sometimes I will stretch in the middle of the night and one of my calves will cramp up. What is the cause of that? What can I do to relieve it when it happens. How can I prevent these cramps from happening in the first place?

Hi Erin! 

Thanks for this question! 

Leg cramps at night aren't all that uncommon, they occur when the muscles in the thigh or calf spasm and they can hurt pretty badly! 

We cannot tell you why this is happening to your body in particular since that cannot be evaluated but several reasons for night time cramps include:

Do any of these apply to you? 

When you get cramps, try to extend your legs and massage the cramping areas to work out the muscle. 

Practice good sleep hygiene by no having your room too hot or cold and don't have anything on your bed books/devices etc that could restrict your movement. 

To avoid cramping, drink plenty of liquids (dehydrating causes cramping) and massage and exercise your legs before bedtime. 

Supplements like calcium and magnesium are though to guard against cramping. 

Read more about this topic on our great Nocturnal Leg Cramps pare here: 

Erin, I hope you rest better at night! 

Muscle Injuries

Muscle Injuries Guide