How do you stop depression?

By November 15, 2008 - 3:45pm

I have found myself in an acute state of depression. Naturally, I am a very outgoing person and don't get depressed too often. I am uncertain of the reasoning behind the mild depression but I am indeed agoraphobic at the time being. I do not even want to go to the store to get food.

What causes these bouts of depression and what can I do to get out of the house and stop this obsession with sleeping? Does anyone have any advise?

What works for me: I have bipolar depression and bouts of hypomania several times a year.
Seek professional help from someone who will actually listen to you.
Take meds if that is what is suggested.
exersicise any way you can. Its really hard sometimes but do it.
I joined a very small gym, and the owner calls me up when she know I'm down, yes I tell her, and says I don't care what your wearing and neither does any one else. get your butt down here and get your seratonin levels up. I force my self, but she is very firm.
practice yoga learn the breathing techniques at least.
Make a list of things you would like to accomplish. (not too big)
Do something on the list. Anything.
Answer the phone. Tell someone that you are blue.
If you don't want your friends to know , find a website where no one
knows you personally.
I have a warm loving husband who goes through this over and over again
with me, but he still thinks if I am sleeping alot, I must be tired.
It takes him a while to "get it" so I really have to take care of myself. Hope this was alittle helpful. I've been in your shoes quite a few times, but it doesn't last forever. I promise.

Cindy, in addition to Susanc's suggestions, it may not be a bad idea to get a medical evaluation. The causes of depression are numerous. Some are triggered by life events and some could be linked to chemical imbalances mainly in the brain. Some cases of depression are acute (short term) and some are chronic (long term). Most people experience depression during a life time. However, it is important to seek help if symptoms persist for too long. The same goes for anxiety and panic attacks. You state that you are argoraphobic, is that something you have self-diagnosed based on symptoms or has a doctor suggested it? From your posting it would appear that your depression may be new in your life. Do you have a longer history of anxiety or panic attacks? If your nature is to be outgoing and you now face sudden changes in your emotional health, there could be many triggers such as hormonal changes, changes in nutrition and/or sleep patterns changes in work/life relationships, etc. Depression, anxiety and other related symptoms could be simple to resolve by making small changes in your life. For example try exercising your breathing muscles, add foods high in zinc. calcium and magnesium to your diet, set time aside each day to meditate/relax. Find someone to talk about your feelings, frustration (self talk counts!)etc. I use Rhodiola, Gaba and Ashwaghanda supplements daily to support the functioning of my brain's neurotransmiters. But there is not better subtitute than consulting with your doctor if your symptoms continue for too long.

Hi Cindy

I'm sorry that you are feeling depressed. There could be many reasons for this, including Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) that affects many people at this time of year. With daylight savings time just a couple of weeks ago, the days are shorter and darker, and what daylight we have is often gloomy and the air is cold. Neighbors are not on their decks or porches, and folks don't linger in parking lots at church, the grocery store or outside work. We all seem to go from car to work to car to home....

Cindy, do you think this may be what is happening with you?

You may also have a chemical imbalance that people often get with depression, and talking to your doctor will help. Medication, talk therapy or a combination of both may be prescribed. Depressed people often feel agoraphobic. You could also have environmental, social or familial triggers.

Has anything happened in your life recently to trigger this? Something at work or a financial problem? Have you ended a relationship or has someone close to you died or moved away? How is the rest of your health? If you can sit back and evaluate you life in the past couple of months you may be able to pinpoint where or when things started to get difficult.

Do you have a doctor you can confide in, or a close friend or family member? Please keep us updated.

In the meantime, the National Institute of Mental Health has some invaluable information. You can find it here : http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/depression/complete-publication.shtml

And for more information about Seasonal Affective Disorder, click here:

Depression Guide