How long after ovulation should a period come

My husband and I are married 3 years this year and we decided to start trying for a baby in April, I am 29 and have irregular periods, however I ovulated on 20th April and we made love several times a week before the 20th and including the 20th and 21st April. I have had no period to date but we did take a hmpt yesterday (4th May)and it was negative. How long does it take for your period to come after ovulation and could I still be pregnant?

Hi, Anon, and welcome to EmpowHer!

Congratulations on your decision to start a family! I know it's frustrating sometimes when you want something so badly. But please know that most couples don't get pregnant the first month they are trying. It may take a few months, and that's absolutely normal.

And yes, it's still possible that you're pregnant. In a normal 28-day cycle, your period comes about 14-16 days after ovulation. However, unless you are positive that you know exactly when you ovulated, your result could be off one or two days.

If you did ovulate on the 20th of April, that is 15 days ago. If you're not pregnant, I would expect you to start your period in the next day or two.

If you are pregnant, it just may be that there is not yet enough of the pregnancy hormone (HCG) in your blood for the pregnancy test to pick it up yet. I would take another test in a few days if your period doesn't start.

When you are trying for a baby, it helps to have sex about every other day before you ovulate -- that way, the man has more time to build up sperm between ejaculations.

Here's a great calculator for pregnancy, conception and due dates:

Hang in there -- I have my fingers crossed for you!