Q: 

how long can a body survive without thyroid hormones?

I am being screened for recurrance of thyroid cancer. Thyroid removed last year and radioiodine treatment completed. Have been off synthroid for 3 weeks; 3 weeks left before screening. Feeling cold and tired. Was wondering how long the body can sustain life without hormone therapy. How does it take in nutrition meanwhile without the homones?

Anonymous

I've been without a thyroid gland for 26 years, and the creepy side effects of jitters, fatigue, and lack of concentrating are real. And even though this is one of the ailments that qualify for disability, you will be denied. I have other medical issues, but this one is the worst. Denied 4 times. I haven't worked in 6 years, and it looks like I may have to get my levothyroxine from abroad, without a prescription, since my husband is about to retire, and I will not have any insurance. My son, went to a doctor in Poland, way cheaper than America.

Walmart has a list of medications that you can get for only $4 for one month if you get the 3 month supply it is $10 levothyroxine that's the generic for Synthroid is $4 not sure if you can get the name brand on the $4 list but the generic brand works fine it's much better than having nothing so I am on disability and I even get my meds at Walmart a lot of them for $4 each so get to Walmart and get that medication

Anonymous

I was to my Dr. in January, I was to go back in February for more blood tests, I was only given enough pills for a month, I wasn't sure at that time if I could afford another office visit, so I haven't gone back for another tests, but in the mean while I'd asked my Dr to call in another prescription just to get me by for another month or so, and he refused... It's now going on 4 months without pills and I'm wondering how much longer I can go on... my Dr. should know better, but he says it's procedure, Always some kind of office politics with him, I need my thyroid pills, I've been noticing a weight gain, puffiness in my face in the mornings and just not feeling well. I will be going in for tests this coming week, as we can afford them again, but for him to refuse me my medication, should be unethical, if not illegal. Disappointed

You really need to get to a health food store and get some iodine or seek help by not taking your levothyroxine or Synthroid thyroid medicine. It the thyroid pretty much regulates the other organs in your body. I didn't have mine for like 2 weeks and I had a stroke. The doctor told me that the very reason could have been because of not taking the thyroid medicine. I am 62 years old so get to the health food store and at least get some sea kelp and or iodine they can tell you what to get but don't keep doing without you're putting your life in danger

I have been without my thyroid sense April 2011. I stoped taking medication in 2013 after I finished Chemo for breast cancer . It's now the end of 2017 and I am in the best health ever . I spent years trying to get Wright off and couldn't . The meds gave me mood swings depression . I think them unregulated gave me breast cancer at 27 . I did a gut rebalance and it seems to have made the difference. I actually have energy. I runs 150 miles a month or more now .

Both the World Health Organization and the FDA classify thyroid medication as ESSENTIAL, so you should now get a lawyer and sue for malpractice while also contacting your hospital ombudsmen, your insurance company, and maybe consider suing your insurance company as well.

My doctor has done the same to me, I lost my coverage recently and because I have not gone in to a check up recently they won't refill me. The irony there is, ever since I've been diagnosed hypothyroid ( and believe it or not my THS results were 200.0! Not twenty, but 200.0 by the time I got treated I couldn't walk a block, I was so constipated I looked nine months pregnant and my whole body was swollen, I even fell asleep while out for dinner with friends in mid sentence, it was bad! But after three months I finally started feeling better, she says my tag was too high now, so she lowered it and I have not felt well since. But even though random tests are still as high as 80.0, she refuses to adjust my meds because most of the time my tests say I'm " cured" . I asked her how that's possible if I'm having all these symptoms and she just pointed out how bad I was BEFORE treatment!!! Then I decide to read up on my own, I asked if she could give me a full thyroid panel four or five times over several appointments and she just ignored me, I asked her superior finally and she claimed it was a @ waste of money" I couldn't believe it. Until I have my health coverage fixed I'm just concerned with getting my meds period, but once I do, I'm not sure if I should just try taking more on my own to see if I feel better, even if risky, or I've even debated going off them since I still have so many symtoms and try natural therapy, but if I could only get someone to do a full thyroid panel, is there a certain way I should request it? Is it truly going to help?

I too have been told my tryglicerides are high and I know it's thyroid related, same with my cholesterol but my doctor doesn't seem to believe me. And knowing how hypothyroid I was and am, how can she not even tell me if I'm Hashemoto hypothyroid or if it's something else? Is there a way to know?

But for now, I just want to know how long I can go without my meds, because it's been a couple weeks and I already feel week and sleep most the day, I wonder if I should go get stuck with a ER bill just for a refill or wait the 6 weeks until the local clinic can see me?

I was without mine for 4 months, finally went to a new Dr. and she could not believe that my other Dr. would hold out on calling in a prescription. Your best bet would be to look for a different clinic, or go to the ER. I've had other problems ... asked my old Dr to send me for MRI ... he never even acknowledged that e-mail.. if ya don't coverage, it seems like you get the run around and ignored. It shouldn't be allowed to happen, but it does all the time. Good luck Hun, hope everything works out for you. Try something natural, if it works, let me know! Thank you!

Anonymous

My thyroid ceased to function (my doctor believes it was killed off by my own white cells, due to auto-immune issues) some time in 1991. Not sure how long I was without the hormones the thyroid produces, but can tell you I ended up in the hospital in November that year, unable to walk, for five days before the problem was diagnosed. I have been taking synthroid or levothyroxin ever since. I recently went ten days without levothyroxin, due to problems getting a prescription filled. I began noticing numbness in my hands and feet after about seven days. Due to the aforementioned hospitalization, I wouldn't want to have to find out exactly how long I could go without medication, before finding myself semi-paralyzed again.

Anonymous

I have no thyroid , from thyroid cancer , had it removed in October and am not on any medication , bc they want to wait till after radiation, and they pushed my radiation back till January bc my specialist is teaching a conference in Australia and won't be back till January, so I'm wondering the same thing

Thyroid Conditions