How to lose weight

By May 12, 2015 - 5:31pm

I had my gallbladder removed last year in July and since then I have put on over 40 pounds don't know what to do because I don't eat that much but I still have cut back on calories still no weight loss it's very depressing to just put on so much weight and at a loss to how to get it off

I just had my gall bladder removed 5 weeks ago and have been very conscious of the weight gain issues that I have read so much about on EmpowHER. I think it was my #1 fear through the while process. 

I am limiting my diet a lot of more carefully - really watching what I eat and have just started power-walking outdoors 90 minutes a day. I am not gaining any weight. 

I did as the doctors about weight gain and they told me there is no reason to gain weight after gall bladder removal and that with woman that do, it's likely they are gaining weight anyway, due to getting older.  Not sure what to think about that! 

How old are you? I'm 45 and it's not as easy to keep weight off at this age anymore, for some women. Doctors believe the time of gall-bladder surgery for many women could be key. 

40 pounds is a huge amount of weight to gain since July - that's only 10 months. I think you need to talk to your doctor about how this amount of weight occured and make sure you limit your food. I think we can often over-estimate how much we move and underestimate how much we eat (I know I do sometimes!).  

Using a food journal is considered one of the best ways to gauge exactly how much you are eating. I know you have cut back on calories but a journal will help anyway.  And start walking if you can - get out and walk as many miles as you can every day. 

I know how frustrating this is - I am trying to lose some weight myself. 

Let me know what you think and don't give up!

Hi, Susan I just turned 39 in April and I have spoken to my doctor on several occasions about my weight gain and still he doesn't think it coming from having my gallbladder removed but I know that is where it coming from because my weight was under control before this I sometimes regret having the surgery but my gallbladder was also affecting my liver so I had no choice.... I had also seen a nutritionist to try to help but that didn't help because she didn't see where I was eating that much,but I know that I do want to start back walking because it has helped me in the past with weight loss.... Also I think I will start back with the food journal as well... If you don't mind me asking I know you said that you also were trying to lose weight and I was wondering have you seen any results yet,and if so do you mind sharing what you have been doing because at this point I can use all the help I can get...

Thank you

HERWriter Guide (reply to Fitby40)

Hi Fitby40!

I have not gained any weight post-surgery, I am just losing weight that I gained over the course of the last two years.

I have a good diet, I eat a lot of fresh fruit and veg and lots of salads. My rule is that I eat nothing with more than 7 grams of sugar (yogurts, breakfast cereals etc). 

I look for foods with single digit sugars and double digits protein.

It's important to remember that our diet accounts for about 80% of our weight and exercise account for about 20% but exercise if also good for the bones, the lungs and heart etc. 

I am walking 5 miles a day, 5 days a week. That's a lot of time invested in it but boy, will you feel it and a good power walk uses all your muscles, even in your ass, LOL! I can feel it. 

Walking is an excellent fat burner and will tone up the body.  I also swim laps three days a week. 

I've lost ten pounds since Christmas and I have another 12 to go. I am 5'7" and weight 157 and would like to be somewhere between 140 and 145 in the next 6 weeks. Sound easy but it's extremely hard to shed these last dozen pounds. I've always been tall and lean and about 135 lbs. So this is all very different for me. 

I take probiotics every day to keep my system relative and my gut healthy. 

But with watching my food (so important!) and walking like a mad woman (I listen to great pop music to keep me going) and swimming, I am determined.

I've had three c-sections, an appendectomy and now my gall bladder out (so 5 abdominal surgeries)  - it's not easy. 

I had read all about the weight gain and I just decided that was not going to be me and it hasn't been. Keep moving and limit yourself to 1500 calories a day. Don't use fad diets, just eat many small meals every day. And don't forget to treat yourself or take a "cheat day" one day a week where you can eat what you want. 

Food is delicious and should be enjoyed so a day of your favourite meals is fine as long as you are back on track next day.  Don't beat yourself up if you slip; you're human. 

But take it seriously and spend as much time a you can to get those 40 pounds off.  

Make it your mission! 

Stay in touch, ok? We can both help each other along. I know 12 pounds doesn't seem like much but I am having a hell of a time shifting it. 

Hi, Susan thanks for the advice feels good to have someone to somewhat know what I'm talking about because I never had this much problem getting weight of I don't even weigh myself anymore because it is just that depressing for me from going to 147 to 185 and im 5ft. 6 my goal weight is somewhere between 140-145 also... I was also thinking about doing some type of cleanse to jump start my weight loss if I knew that would help... I also will hopefully start my walking next week if the weather prevails and start food journal as well. Even though I want turn 40 until next April hopefully I will be at my goal weight by then for sure... I don't care if its 5,10,12,& even the 40 something im trying to lose all of it is hell to get off especially..
Keep in touch

Thank you

Weight Loss