Hypoglycemia and IBS Diets

By February 24, 2015 - 4:48pm

I was just diagnosed with hypoglycemia, in addition I have serious chonic IBS and have a very difficult time eating. My doctor wants me to see a dietician and learn to eat several small meals every day. I have a hard time eating once a day, let alone 6 or 7 small meals. Does anyone out there have any suggestions on how to control both? I am on medication for my IBS yet struggle to eat and not rush to the restroom. I would appreciate any suggestions to help me control both.

Hi SandyQ

Firstly, I do think it's a good idea to work with a dietitian to work on this. 

With hypoglycemia, Treatments include:

Symptoms of low blood sugar can be relieved quickly by:

• Eating sugar in a rapidly absorbable form, such as:
    • Fruit
    • Fruit juice
    • Sugared soft drink
    • Table sugar in water
    • Candy
  • Taking glucose tablets
  • IV glucose (in severe cases)

Some people who have prolonged or severe hypoglycemia take glucagon. Glucagon is an injectable hormone. It raises blood sugar levels.

It can be used in emergencies when people have a severe reaction. It can be used if the person cannot take sugar by mouth.

Hypoglycemia may be caused by a tumor. In this case a surgery to remove the tumor may be needed.

Measures that can help prevent hypoglycemia include:

People With Diabetes

• Monitor your medicine. Take it as prescribed.
  • Follow the diet and exercise plans given by your doctor.
  • Avoid drinking alcohol in excess.

Non-Diabetic People Prone to Hypoglycemia

• Avoid drinking too much alcohol.
  • Eat frequent, small meals (5 to 6 per day).
  • Take care to eat sufficiently before exercising.

For IBS, the FODMAP diet is very successful for many although it can be a hard diet to follow (lots of do's and don't's!) - you can read about why it works here:

and then you can google FODMAP itself and save or print on the recommendations. 

As I am sure you know, stress has a impact on IBS, as does travel.  Make sure you lessen stress as much as possible. Meditation and yoga are great for stress relief and physical exercise will also help.  All all-round approach to your digestive health is key. 

I hope this helps,