Reproductive System

Reproductive System Guide

ask: I am having trouble completely emptying the stool out of my rectum

I have a partial prolapsed rectum. When the stool is mostly out the only way I can get the last little bit out is to put my fingers by the anus and push up while bearing down and this helps but I can see part of the rectal lining showing in the opening of the anus. I also rarely feel complet relief but like there is always more there. I also have a large fibroid pushing into the rectum. My doctor says I should hve a hysterectomy but how do I know that will help the problem? What about the rectal prolapse. I think that what I feel all the time is that prolapse and it feels like something I should push out, but can't. I think it is getting worse and my doctor seems to just be concerned about the fibroid. What do I do?

Cary Cook BSN RN

Hi Anonymous

This is a dangerous situation. You are risking perforation of your colon, rectal infection, and myriad other complications by continuing in this manner. Fibroids can grow extremely large and cause excessive bleeding along with other issues.

If you do not feel confident with your surgeon's recommendations, I suggest you seek a second opinion. There are other treatments for fibroids, but it depends on your specific situation as well as the size of the fibroids. We have an article on fibroids: http://www.empowher.com/reproductive-system/content/do-uterine-fibroids-...

Please do not continue this way. Continued manual disimpaction like this can lead to serious consequences. Get a second opinion, find a physician you are comfortable with, and take care of this problem before it becomes a medical emergency.

How do you control your PMS?: