i am losing weight

By Anonymous April 7, 2010 - 11:45pm

I am 19 yrs old girl, from goa. My height is 5.2 & weight is 39 my weight before was 45 & it is decreasing day by day. can you please help me? i am a depressive person too, i take lot of tensions. i have good food everyday, like cheese sanvage, chocolates, rice, nonveg food too, but there is no change. my menustral cycle is normal. please help.

Hi Moris

There are many reasons for losing weight unintentionally. Stress is definitely a factor but you seem to be eating a fairly well balanced diet (fish, veggies, curry) and I think every 19 year old likes chips and coke!

But other reasons for losing weight could be that you have an illness or condition that you are unaware of.

WebMD has some good information about unintentional weight loss. There are some serious reasons and some not quite as serious. Please don't diagnose yourself with anything or get nervous about possibilities - all we are doing is giving you a multitude of underlying causes that could be to blame:

■Changes in diet or activity level. Skipping meals, a mild illness, eating on the run, a hectic schedule or eating less fat may contribute to unexpected weight loss. Intense exercise or training, if it's not balanced by an increase in appetite and calorie intake, also can cause weight loss.
■Cancer. Many types of cancer cause unintentional weight loss, and cancer treatment may have the same effect.
■Gastrointestinal diseases. Several conditions affecting your digestive system can cause weight loss due to loss of appetite and malabsorption, when your body doesn't break down and absorb the nutrients it needs for energy. These conditions can include inflammatory bowel disease (ulcerative colitis or Crohn's disease), peptic ulcer disease, celiac disease and others. Some of these conditions cause weight loss even when you're eating as much as, or more than, you usually do.
■Endocrine disorders. Abnormalities of your body's endocrine system, which regulates hormones and affects several body functions, can cause weight loss. These can include diabetes, hyperthyroidism, hypothyroidism, adrenal insufficiency and hypercalcemia.
■Infection. Several infections can cause unexpected weight loss, including tuberculosis, fungal diseases, parasites and human immunodeficiency virus (HIV).
■Aging-related appetite changes. Unexpected weight loss is more common in older adults, when altered smell or taste, nausea, depression and medications are more likely to decrease appetite.
■Medications. Some over-the-counter and prescription drugs may cause weight loss.
■Cardiovascular and lung disease. Weight loss is a complication of advanced cardiovascular or lung diseases, such as congestive heart failure or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).
■Neurological illness. Weight loss can be a secondary symptom of neurological system diseases such as stroke, multiple sclerosis, dementia and Parkinson disease.
■Kidney disease. If you have kidney disease, you may lose weight due to nausea, vomiting, and losing protein through your urine.
■Mood or mental health changes. Anxiety, stress and depression can affect your weight.

As you can see by the last possibly reason, anxiety and stress can still cause weight loss, even if you are eating well or ingesting enough calories for good overall health.

When you say it's 'only intentions of my future, not depression' that you're feeling; this may not actually be true. Depression over one's future is very common.

I know you mention you don't exercise but exercise is a really good stress reliever. Try walking or swimming regularly to see if this improves your mindset and it's also very good for your body.

I know you live in India and perhaps marriage is something that happens earlier than later. To feel pressure about marriage at the age of 19 is hard on a young woman. I know marriage is extremely important in India so we're not about to question your culture - but are you nervous about marriage in that you don't want to marry, or you do?

Are you under any kind of pressure of any kind from your family?

I think it's a good idea to see help from a health care provider. Explain your circumstances, the stress and fears you have and your weight loss and he or she can help you from there.

Will you update me on some of my questions? I hope to hear back from you soon!

Hi, Anon,

Welcome to EmpowHer! We're glad you found us.

Do you exercise a lot, Anon? What sort of exercise do you do, and how much?

You mentioned some of the foods you eat, but how much do you eat? Do you have at least three good meals with protein?

How long ago did you start losing weight?

What kind of stress are you under? You mentioned that you have a lot of tension in your life, can you tell us more about that?

Do you take medicine for your depression? Are you under the care of a doctor?

(reply to Diane Porter)

i am not suffering from depreesion but sometimes i get wild when i cant face a problem, little problems, i think of my future too, will i marry my bf, about job & all those stuff. i am emotional too, i dnt exercise. i eat 3 good meals but handful amount with fish in my meal everyday & vegetables too with rice & curry. i started losing weight from 1 year back & i am not under medication, its only tensions of my future, not depression. i also have acidity problem. but i eat all kinds of food like chips, coke etc..

Weight Loss