I had a fish test done, that came back with 4 cells out of 250 having cancer. They did a bladder boispy and wash. Those two test came came showing no cancer. The wash show pinkish tint in the left kidney. I have had large amounts of blood in my urine for

By May 15, 2010 - 3:43am

This has been going on since the end of October the urilogist keeps wanting to check my bladder my primary care doctor says like me it is my kidney. I have had kidney problem since I was a little girl. No one seams to want to hear me and how I feel. The urlogist says that it is not uncommon to have blood in your urine but large amounts. Just do not know what to do

Hi mags40

It's NOT common or normal to have blood in your urine this way, on a regular basis - what an odd (and incorrect) thing for a 'specialist' to tell you!

You have a history of kidney problems since childhood and you and your primary care physician both agree that the issue is with your kidney. Your urologist insists it's your bladder.

It's time your doctor gave you a referral to a Nephrologist - this is a doctor who specializes in the kidney - it's function, conditions and diseases.

Please have your PCP refer you to a nephrologist straight away so that at the very least, your kidney can be thoroughly checked and tested and ruled out as the cause of your problems. If the problem is indeed with your kidney as you and your doctor think, then it's a nephrologist that can help you. This doesn't mean you won't continue to work with your urologist but you need your kidneys looked into as soon as possible.

Will you ask for a referral and let us know an update as soon as you can?

Hi Susan,
Went back to the doctor on Tuesday the CT scan and bladder voiding both came back fine. The Urlogist said he does not know where the blood is coming from and why I keep having UTI's. He once again told my husband when he asked the question about the blood in my urin that sometimes they never find out why and it is not uncommon. I told the urlogist that I wanted a second opion. I went to my PCP the same day. He does not want to wait three months from last Tuesday to re run the fish test. Since there is only a 30% change that it could be wrong. He is going to run it June 8th three months from the first test. Then off to a new Urlogist. My kidney fuction test came back with my kidneys working at 85%. The urlogist did not even go over this test with me. My PCP said that that was not bad. So back to the waiting came. The Urlogist told my husband and I that he has done all he came do so I guess he is giving up on me. I am at my wits end and just want to give up. Just so very tired. Will let you know the next step.

Anonymous (reply to mags40)

I am going through the exact same thing right know i my life that you have Mags PLEASE let me know what you have found out and any Help is so appreciated Blood in urine did FISh test cat scan with dye cytoscope and many others tests.
Thanking you in advance

Susan I wrote a comment it says anonymous not sure if you can read it or not let me know and I will copy and paste. Sorry I am new at this

HERWriter Guide (reply to mags40)

No worries, Mags, I got your post.

You really need that referral - if your primary doctor believes your kidneys need to be looked into, there should be no problem getting that referral.

I so agree with you that you can't sit around, waiting for everyone to get their act together. You need to take action now and start the process with the nephrologist.

Please let us know as you as you can how it goes and if I can help you in any way, let me know. Good for you for being proactive and moving things along when everyone else is stalling. I hope to hear an update from you soon!

I just do not know what to do sometimes. I also ask if there is any other cancers that can show up in your urine. I was told no, I think they could be looking in the wrong place. What if it is a blood cancer that is showing up in my urine. I am not a doctor so I do not know if there is other cancers that can show up and it is just effecting my kidneys. I guess I will just have to wait until next week when they re run the fish test. JUST SO CONFUSED AND DO NOT KNOW WHAT TO DO

HERWriter Guide (reply to mags40)

Hi again Mags, it's great to see you on here again (although I wish you had better news).

I believe bladder cancer can be detected via a urine test but unfortunately it seems like you'll have to wait things out another week. I'm sorry about this and I know how frustrating it can be. A week for medical staff is like a month for patients waiting to hear results.

Let us know what happens next week and we'll work from there, ok? I look forward to hearing from you.

Hi Susan,
Thank you so much for all your concern you have been so helpful and make me feel better about being such a pain in the butt. Are you in the health care profession? I sometimes just do not know where to turn you hear one thing then you hear another. I will just go with my heart and keep it up until they figure out what is wrong. I did this years ago when they did not know what was wrong and then they found out that I had RA. As they say no one knows your body like you do and that is so true. Looking forward to hearing from you and I will let you know the out come of next week. Going to sit down this weekend and make a list of the test that I feel I should have just so nothing gets missed. As I reserch things more and more I find out that RA and some of the treatments that I had 3 years ago can cause cancer. Even tho I was laughed at by the Urlogist when I asked him about it. Just want to get on with things and get it all over with. All the worry and not knowing is driving me crazy

HERWriter Guide (reply to mags40)

Mags, you are not at all a pain in the butt. You are ill and also we'll researched so don't let any doctor laugh at you. I doubt your urologist is up on his research because RA is, in fact, linked to cancer, particularly Lymphoma. I don't stay that to scare you but your research is correct. A person with RA is four times more likely to get Lymphoma that someone without RA.

And since a person with RA has a lower immune system due in part to the treatments used, cancer in cells can grow without the body's immune system recognizing this. I'm very surprised he chose to laugh at you about this.

Of course, this certainly doesn't mean you have a condition like this, but just know that you are really empowering yourself by reading up on studies and current information - I'm very proud of you!

Please keep positive (I know how hard that is) and I so understand your fears. Sometimes we almost wish we were diagnosed with something just so we finally KNOW what's wrong. The unknown is often the worst factor.

Stay in touch and keep the testing going. I hope to hear from you soon!

Hay Susan just wanted to let you know that I am off this morning to my first apt with an Hematologist/oncologist. Wish me luck on them finding out what is wrong. Will let you know

Kidney Cancer

Kidney Cancer Guide