I had a hysterectomy about 12 years ago (kept my ovaries). Have been having spotting the last few days?

By Anonymous April 8, 2010 - 9:20am

Dear Anonymous

Thank you for your question and for finding Empowher!

I assume by your question that the last 12 years have been bleeding- free and this spotting is sudden.

Has anything happened in the last few days that you think might have caused this? Have you had sex, had sex without lubricant, suffered any kind of injury (no matter how minor) that you're aware of?

Are you in any kind of pain? Do you have any medical issues?

If this bleeding is coming out of the blue (and I think it is) then you should go for a checkup. If you still have your ovaries/cervix then they may need an examination.

Bleeding out of nowhere like this is not normal. This doesn't mean to say something is seriously wrong but it does warrant a call to your doctor. You may have a prolapse, possible endometriosis or an infection of some sort; the bleeding may have nothing to do with having had a hysterectomy.

Can you schedule an appointment?