I have been having 3week-1 month long periods w/ large clots. What could be causing the length and clots? Should I worry?

I'm Having Menstrual Bleeding for 3 Weeks. What's the cause?

Image via Unsplash

I'm 29 yrs. old and I've been having my menstrual cycle for 3 weeks to 1 month with about a 2 week break between each period. Along with my period I have huge clots. This has been happening since I had my daughter in 2006. I saw a doctor about it and he just put me on birth control pills to try and regulate it, but that just caused me to have blood clots in my lungs. I went on Coumadin and my period was normal while I was on the meds. Now I'm off Coumadin and my period went back to being long again and with the huge clots. Is there something my doctors should be testing for? Why am I having a 3 week menstrual cycle? Can this cause complications with conceiving again? What is wrong with my cycle?

Anonymous

I had my blood transfusion 2015 because of heavy prolonged period and I had it again 2016 for the same diangnose . This month I am on 1 month period with a little dizziness .
What causes this . I was prescribe with a pill to stop my bleeding but it is the same continuously . Please help

Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Dizziness could be indicative of a significant blood loss due to a period that has lasted one month. Please contact your physician today.

Regards,

Anonymous

I have menstrual bleeding for almost 2 weeks, it's not a heavy flow..I'm getting nervous..please response..thank you..

Guide (reply to Anonymous)

You must contact your gynecologist, who knows you and your medical history.

Regards,

Anonymous

I too unfortunately have been experiencing this with no real answers. I used to go 2-3 months with no period then maybe an 8 day heavy one, to 5-6 months no period then one lasting a full month bleed. Heavy. During the bleed I would be so exhausted, a trip up the stairs would leave me literally out of breath and I'd nearly collapse on the floor when I got home. I get dizzy spells, dehydrated easily and its just awful. Recently I've been put on synthyriod for underactive thyroid. It's been about 3 months now and I'm hoping it will help balance my whacky hormones. For the past 2 months I've been getting my period an average of 33 days.. but they last 3 weeks (heavy) and I have 1 week off.. I am on CD 14 and still bleeding so I'm guessing in 1 more week it will be gone. I've been trying to get pregnant for years. I have no idea when I ovulate. I am 33yrs old soon 34. I hate that we have to go through this, but I feel not so alone having such a backwards cycle. Most women bleed 1 week with 3 off and I am totally the opposite. I am grateful to get my period, not too long ago I was praying for red,.. but I just wish it was a normal cycle.,

Gynecologists typically agree most irregular periods are benign. They’re usually caused by some sort of hormonal imbalance. Monthly periods are susceptible to highs and lows in our emotions and health. Simple things like illness or travel can bring on irregular cycles.

Anorexic or bulimic women or endurance athletes can find their menstrual cycles lessened or stopped due to a decrease in body fat. These women have low estrogen and aren’t ovulating.

Stress – this includes drug use and reliance on caffeine and alcohol – can lead to irregular periods. Medications, such as birth control, may cause lighter, less frequent, more frequent, skipped periods or no periods at all. Other causes can be recent childbirth, miscarriage, a D&C and even breast-feeding.

Women with polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) usually don’t ovulate regularly. With PCOS, high levels of estrogen are generated but no eggs are released. The excessive estrogen stimulates the uterine lining to thicken to a point where it must be released. However women with this condition aren’t having what are considered “real” menstrual periods since they’re not regularly ovulating.

Another cause may be your thyroid. When thyroid hormones are off balance, a wide range of symptoms can result, including irregular periods.

Anon, I suggest you go to a doctor specializing in hormonal problems with women, You may need a scan to see if there are any internal growths causing your lack of periods too.

Read more here: http://www.empowher.com/menstrual-cycle/content/missed-periods-and-relat...

I have PCOS. It's not just high levels of estrogen, it's the lack of it. My testosterone levels triple my estrogen.

Anonymous

I v been getting my period for 3 weeks at a time . With just a week in-between for about four months now. I v been trying to get into see my OBGYN . But even tho I v been calling 2 times a day . No one has gotten back to me . what's going on?

Guide (reply to Anonymous)

I cannot speak for your gynecologist's office. Have you let a message? Have you actually spoken to someone?

You do need to be seen. Prolonged bleeding can lead to blood loss that puts you at risk for iron deficiency anemia.

Regards,

Anonymous

I am going through the same thing. Bled for 2 to 3 weeks, off for 2 to 3 weeks, then it starts again. Ive been going through this for a year now and no matter what type of birth control i take it continues. I am so frustrated bc my obgyn days oh this will help, ok try this birth control. I have never gotten a straight answer to this problem yet and im really starting to get frustrated and depressed. Im 33 years old. I feel I'm old enough to be able to look at a dr and say HEY! THIS ISN'T NORMAL! Bc its not! Does anybody have any idea what, why, and what exact type of Dr i should seek? Any clue as to if this is a disorder, something i should worry about?

Hypermenorrhea

Hypermenorrhea Guide