Q: 

I have been having 3week-1 month long periods w/ large clots. What could be causing the length and clots? Should I worry?

I'm Having Menstrual Bleeding for 3 Weeks. What's the cause?

Image via Unsplash

I'm 29 yrs. old and I've been having my menstrual cycle for 3 weeks to 1 month with about a 2 week break between each period. Along with my period I have huge clots. This has been happening since I had my daughter in 2006. I saw a doctor about it and he just put me on birth control pills to try and regulate it, but that just caused me to have blood clots in my lungs. I went on Coumadin and my period was normal while I was on the meds. Now I'm off Coumadin and my period went back to being long again and with the huge clots. Is there something my doctors should be testing for? Why am I having a 3 week menstrual cycle? Can this cause complications with conceiving again? What is wrong with my cycle?

Anonymous

Hi,
I have my period for the past 3 weeks. I stopped bleeding for one day and then the next day I was bleeding again.

It's not a light bleeding or spotting it's really heavy and I now noticed that there are blood clots aswell.

Should I be concerned???

I recently gave birth 10 months ago.

Could that be the cause or should I just be safe and go see a gynaecologist.

Hello Anon

This kind of bleeding is not normal - you need to see your gynecologist.

Anonymous

Hello I have been on my cycle for about 3 weeks me and my husband have had sex then I came on my cycle right after stayed on for 13 days then went off for 3 days then came back on for about 5 or 6 days and I'm still on should I worry about it?????

Guide (reply to Anonymous)

By cycle, do you mean your period?

If so, this is a concern to be bleeding for such a long time.

Please call your gynecologist or primary care physician about this now.

Prolonged bleeding leads to iron deficiency anemia.

Regards,

Anonymous

Hello. I been having bleeding 1mouth an 3 week... Heavy bleeding with large clouts..... sometime normal bleeding but it as not stop....???? Doctors said it's the birth control injection... Strange!!

I'm going to see the doc tomorrow, I suspect they'll also tell me its because of the progesterone injection. That I'm having a heavy prolonged three week period too :/

Hello Anon

You may want to consider changing your method of birth control if this bleeding does not stop.

Anonymous

I've been having the same problem for about seven months now. Every time my period comes on it gets longer and longer. 30 plus days with one week of. Huge clots. As soon as I stand up from even a three hour nap, my sanitary napkins are full and sometimes spill over. (Sorry for tmi) I'm on a low calorie diet and am going through a period of weight loss, however, not extreme but gradual. I'm also a truck driver and it's difficult to come off of the road to make an appointment to be seen being that it's close to the holidays and my known physician is out. I'm getting worried and very agitated. On a different note, I'm glad I'm not alone!

Anonymous

I had my blood transfusion 2015 because of heavy prolonged period and I had it again 2016 for the same diangnose . This month I am on 1 month period with a little dizziness .
What causes this . I was prescribe with a pill to stop my bleeding but it is the same continuously . Please help

Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Dizziness could be indicative of a significant blood loss due to a period that has lasted one month. Please contact your physician today.

Regards,

Hypermenorrhea

Hypermenorrhea Guide