I have been having 3week-1 month long periods w/ large clots. What could be causing the length and clots? Should I worry?

By sueannrush August 29, 2008 - 4:39pm

I'm 29 yrs. old and I've been having periods that last anywhere between 3 weeks and 1 month with about a 2 week break between each period. Along with my period I have huge clots. This has been happening since I had my daughter in 2006. I saw a doctor about it and he just put me on birth control pills to try and regulate it, but that just caused me to have blood clots in my lungs. I went on Coumadin and my period was normal while I was on the meds. Now I'm off Coumadin and my period went back to being long again and with the huge clots. Is there something my doctors should be testing for? Can this cause complications with conceiving again? What is wrong with my cycle?

Anonymous

I've had my period for about 3 weeks now Monday was the 3 week mark and I still haven't stopped bleeding. My boyfriend and I had sex on the 8th and I started having a brown discharge on the 11th and it went all the way til my actual period date which was the 17th and it went on like a normal period but at the end of it it started to stop and then come back again and then now it's just been a regular period and I haven't stopped. It gets heavy and then it'll get light like it's gonna stop and then it'll be heavy again. Anyone else have this problem?

Same thing is happening..... Almost 4 weeks.... Some days light and then heavy red and clotty with abdominal pain....

Went to the doctors and they did ultrasound and he said everything came back fine, and sent me home.

Said it was normal but I don't feel normal.....

How am I suppose to go through my day feeling like this?

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Return to your doctor and ask for blood tests to know your hormone levels. Scans won't tell you this. Insist on it. If your doctor was bleeding from his penis for four weeks, he wouldn't find it "normal" so make sure you get the testing you need!

I am experiencing exactly the same thing! Have seen the doctor and asked to do pelvic ultrasound, blood test and pap smear (can't be done as I am still bleeding). Will see what the doctor said when I see her during my appointment today.

Anonymous

Im concerned with my period of it is . Im 18 and my period normally lasts 5 days . 2 weeks ago i had my peruod it wasnt nor al because it was brown but then i got my normal period and it last for another 5 days after that ended my boyfriend and i have intercorse and then my period cameback and it's basically 3 weeks that i have my period . And at times it goes brown when its about to end but me and my boyfriend have intercorse and then it goes back to red ? Whats going on . Im worried

I have the same problem.. :/

You need to see a doctor, you may have some kind of hormonal imbalance or an infection.

Anonymous

what do i do

If you are bleeding all the time, this may indicate that you have a hormonal imbalance - please see a doctor for testing in order to solve this problem. Blood tests will likely be needed.

Anonymous

I'm irregular and I can have period that can last up to 5 months a while ago the doctor said I was pre cancerous after doing all the test it came out negative. He put me on birth control to try to regulate it but that didn't do anything but make me grow hair .As I stressed it stays on I went for regular Pap smears and everything came back normal. I found out when I have my period I do not lose my eggs so that might be the cause of my body is still trying to release it

Hypermenorrhea

Hypermenorrhea Guide

Have you joined the IUD trend? What kind of birth control do you use? :