Hypermenorrhea

Hypermenorrhea Guide

ask: I have been having 3week-1 month long periods w/ large clots. What could be causing the length and clots? Should I worry?

By sueannrush

I'm 29 yrs. old and I've been having periods that last anywhere between 3 weeks and 1 month with about a 2 week break between each period. Along with my period I have huge clots. This has been happening since I had my daughter in 2006. I saw a doctor about it and he just put me on birth control pills to try and regulate it, but that just caused me to have blood clots in my lungs. I went on Coumadin and my period was normal while I was on the meds. Now I'm off Coumadin and my period went back to being long again and with the huge clots. Is there something my doctors should be testing for? Can this cause complications with conceiving again? What is wrong with my cycle?

Anonymous

I've been having my period for three weeks now. My period has been normal until this month. I bleed about the same amount everyday, and it is maybe enough to fill half a pad. It isn't a lot, but it is a real mood killer, and I'm ready for it to stop

Anonymous

I am not sexually active and I am considered obesity. I had missed my period for 2 months straight .my period started 2 weeks ago going on 3 weeks and I don't know what is going on with my body. I also have huge blood clots

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

You need to see a doctor to know what is going on - please make an appointment. 

Anonymous

Hello everyone,

I too have been experiencing a prolonged period. My period started mid-February. I went to the doctor after two weeks of bleeding and prescribed birth control pills. I am 35 without children. My periods prior to this lasted about 4-5 days maximum. I am very concerned. I requested an ultrasound but the doctor won’t order it until I try the birth control for 3 mos. Needless to say, it’s almost a month later and I am still bleeding using about 3 tampons per day. Along with bleeding, I have been experiencing bloating, pelvic pressure, along with some discomfort on my left side. The doctor seems to think it may be a cyst. This is very draining. I pray my body heals. God help us all. I feel like the woman with the issue of blood in the Bible. I never knew her pain until now. I have been reading up on this and its horrible reading about the women who have dealt with this for years. My heart aches for them. I pray that everyone here be healed. <3

Tell your doctor you want the scan now - he should not get to dictate when you have this done, if you are in this kind of pain with constant bleeding. I can tell you he wouldn't live that that - why should you? 

I hope you stay in contact with us and let us know what's going on!

Thanks Susan. I called and left a message requesting a scan this morning. Thank you for the support. Have you had and similar experiences?

Not so much, Anon! 

I'm very assertive about the tests I want done or not done and I research a lot when I have symptoms so I go in pretty well-prepared. But we talk to women all the time who get the runaround and feel helpless in terms of advocating for themselves. 

Most doctors will appreciate that but there are some who don't like to be questioned and who pat women on the head and tell them that abnormal things are normal. Most doctors are great but there are bad and lazy ones out there too, just like in any profession.  I have no hesitation in firing a doctor that isn't good and I cling to the good ones like my life depends on it!  Stay strong! 

Anonymous

I been having my period for 3 weeks already. My periods are not regularly but this the first time it has been this long. Is this normal??

Exact same here wondering if it ever stoped or did anyone tell u whats going on

Anonymous

hi im 26, i gave birth to my 2nd child last november after a month i had my 1st period but i was not that plenty,the next mobth i don't have any last feb 2 i have my period again,until now feb 20,it is like regular flow and having clot..do i have to to worry about this and check in my dr.??

Have you joined the IUD trend? What kind of birth control do you use? :