Hypermenorrhea

Hypermenorrhea Guide

ask: I have been having 3week-1 month long periods w/ large clots. What could be causing the length and clots? Should I worry?

By sueannrush

I'm 29 yrs. old and I've been having periods that last anywhere between 3 weeks and 1 month with about a 2 week break between each period. Along with my period I have huge clots. This has been happening since I had my daughter in 2006. I saw a doctor about it and he just put me on birth control pills to try and regulate it, but that just caused me to have blood clots in my lungs. I went on Coumadin and my period was normal while I was on the meds. Now I'm off Coumadin and my period went back to being long again and with the huge clots. Is there something my doctors should be testing for? Can this cause complications with conceiving again? What is wrong with my cycle?

Anonymous

Been on my period for like a month some weeks are very light and other heavy, want know if it had anything to do with stopping my depo shot ! Ive been getting worried plz have if you have any answers or if I have to make another appointment to have it check out

Anonymous

Im 22 years old. I got my period when i was 9 years old.. Ive bee. To so many doctors and they really have no answer. All they have always told me was that i needed more iron in my blood. I usually get my period for like 1 month.. Then it goes away but then 3 days later i get it again for another month.. A few years ago i didnt get it for almost a year.. Then BOOM! I got my period for almost 6 months straight!! And that time the doctor said i was too active and thats why it didnt come down.. One time i woke up one morning and i was in so much paid that i seriously couldnt stand.. (I take pain pretty well!! I do martial arts for crying out loud.. Sooo anyways)... So im stuck here.. I dont know what the hell to do next.. The doctors always tell me different things. Now im on birth control and its coming down harder and faster!! I feel like im dying sometimes. Doctors dont have any answers!!! Help please!

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

You need to see a gynecological specialist. 

Are you seeing your regular doctor for this?

You need a specialist. This bleeding is not natural and is not healthy. 

Will you keep us posted?

I went to my gyn yesterday he did an ultrasound but no abnormalities were found. He said to me to monitor my cycle and if i continue to experiance erratic periods i have to go again to his office for more tests. He says my horomones are out of whack because i have a lot of stress at my work as i told him so yes i am not happy with some people at my work which is putting a lot of stress to me. Many Dogs there!!!!! So i will wait till it stops for now. Yet i still have my periods as it was my first day of my cycle and tmorrow is my sixth day. Usually my period lasts 3 days with the second day heavy flow with lots of cramping and pain. This period was not an actual period according to my gyn and he said i am in my ovulation. I dont have pcos either. No stis bc i am not sexually active for more than 5yrs now. I have no cramping or pain this time. I also didnt realize i was getting my periods which is unusual because when its time usually the pain signals an oncoming period. This time i found out only when i go for my usual need to urinate or loo and it was a shock bc i got the one before this last week of november and finished on the first day of december and now on the 12 th of this month. I am still on. I cant avoid stress because its related to my rotten friendships at work and if that is disrupting my cycle i am afraid i will stay with my periods ongoing till menopause. Please help. Can stress really desrupt my cyle. I feel energetic and want to eat as before so the doctor might be right that i just have horomone inbalance. Well Write back

Yes, stress can definitely affect your hormones but if you are ovulating, you should not be bleeding. I don't know why your doctor wants to you wait and see if this is a common issue for you. I think you need  to insist on more testing now, not later. 

I'd also suggest you keep your job but start looking into other positions. A toxic work enviornment isn't good for the body or mind. 

Hi thanks for your quick reply. I had a pap smear this summer and all was fine my gyn said I will have this test and more if periods continue like this. But all docs here like to wait as I had. Friends telling me docs will make more tests if they are sure there is a problem. I had worked with this gyn for years and always did the tests necessary and even those that I requested. He is sure nothing is wrong from my pelvic exam. My hormones are at whack and I forgot to mention I am on my transition to end. My childbearing age I am 40 next year. I am told that some people have prolonged period prior to menopause. I also am not loosing weight even if I am eating less. Before when I dieted I used to loose weight right away. also when i eat a piece of bread or een some rice or passta i gain weight without problem, a thing that didn't exist with me in the past....So. Is it normal that perimenaupause can play the role in this? I feel hot during the day despite most say the days have cooled down, write back I will go back to my. Gyn if my periods. Won't cease by next week or get another period after just days of quitting with this one.

Anonymous

hi i have the same problem, last fortnight i finished my periods usually they come between 35 to 30 days, but now it came back after 15 days, i hae no pain associated with the periods. they are light. it's been almost a week no sign of period stopping, i scheduled an appointment t with my obgyn next week , I'm not going to use the pill if requested i prefer surgery to remove my fibroids. Strange they are smal in size can they cause many problems? i also got a decrease in appetite but my weight remained the same, not a usual thing when i reduce calorie intake usually i loose weight right away, i heard fibroid tumours make you gain weight. help

Anonymous

I am 14 1/2 but have had my period since I was 10. My cycle has always been regular until 3 months ago when my periods were starting to come every 1.5-2 weeks. My most recent period was heavy with massive clots and lasted 3 weeks (also with back and abdomenal pain), and now I am having large amounts of discharge. What could be wrong?

You need to see a doctor about this. You may have something going on with your reproductive system or some kind of hormonal imbalance. 

Hi, my friend is 14 years old and she has been on her period for 3 weeks now. She saw a doctor and he told her she should go on birth control, but she can't take pills because the film covering pills could trigger her epilepsy. She doesn't know what to do next. Please help her.