Hypermenorrhea

Hypermenorrhea Guide

ask: I have been having 3week-1 month long periods w/ large clots. What could be causing the length and clots? Should I worry?

By sueannrush

I'm 29 yrs. old and I've been having periods that last anywhere between 3 weeks and 1 month with about a 2 week break between each period. Along with my period I have huge clots. This has been happening since I had my daughter in 2006. I saw a doctor about it and he just put me on birth control pills to try and regulate it, but that just caused me to have blood clots in my lungs. I went on Coumadin and my period was normal while I was on the meds. Now I'm off Coumadin and my period went back to being long again and with the huge clots. Is there something my doctors should be testing for? Can this cause complications with conceiving again? What is wrong with my cycle?

Anonymous

Hi, me and my husband just stared to have sex again and wanted to hav a baby. My period cycle was always regular but once we started to have sex this week my period or I should say my bleeding didn't stop at all.. And it had been 3 weeks already, can anyone tell me if this is normal? I am very worry....

Anonymous

I was on the merina for 2yrs and then the depo for 3yrs just had to come off of birthcontrol due to getting a blood clot in rhe left side of my brain. I just got my period again and have been on ot for 3 weeks I am on cumidine so figured that might have a little affect on things , but I'm have clots the size of a .50cent piece is this normal.
Very worried. Please help

Anonymous

I have been on for almost three months and I have had large blood clots.... I am 23 and over weight ... Do you think I am having these problems because I am over weight?

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

We cannot say why this is happening to you but we do know it's not normal. 

Like being underweight, overweight women also can experience menstrual problems. 

I think it's a good idea to see a doctor and have some blood work done to see what can be done. You may have the option of going on the birth control pill and this can really help with your cycle. But this kind of bleeding is by no means normal and requires an evaluation. 

Will you keep us posted, Anon?

Anonymous

Hi! I am having my period for 3 months now. This has been the longest duration i'm having it. I am now worried coz i'm bleeding heavily with large clots. I'm so desperate to stop it. Hope i can have some suggestions on what to do to stop it. Thanx!

Please read through the comments sections for advice on what to do, we have written extensively on the topic.

Anonymous

I'm a 29 year old and I have a cycle every 6 month , I never been on any type of med. But when it comes on it normally stay on weeks sometimes months the longest it ever stayed on was 3 months and I bleed really heavy huge blood clog. .. But the last time it was on right now it stayed on a month but it didn't bleed heavy at all.. I been to the Dr he said everything was fine. .. I be so miserable

Your doctor hasn't a clue what he's talking about. If he was bleeding from his penis for a month and having huge clots, he would certainly not say everything was fine. 

You clearly have a problem with your reproductive system and you need help. What tests have been done so far, Anon?

I hope to hear back from you!

Anonymous

First off I'm kinda glad I'm not the only one going through this. I started with the nonstop bleeding back in December until mid-January, a little over a month and started producing blood clots in different sizes. I went to the doctor about the first week of January when I had been bleeding for over two weeks. Doctor tested me to make sure I wasn't anemic, gave me hormones, which stopped the bleeding in about two days. I then had a cervical ultrasound which revealed I had small spots around my ovaries and he stated I had polycystic ovaries. He explained this would make it hard for me to conceive and urged I started eating healthier and exercising. He also prescribed birth control which I just started taking about two weeks ago because I'm a procrastinator but I regret it now. I have been bleeding for almost a month and about 3 days ago I started producing a lot of blood clots. I'm just not wanting to go back to the doctor, I've never liked it.

Anonymous

Hi Everyone. I am in the same boat as most of you. I am 25 years old, i have always had normal menstrual cycles (every 28 days for 6 days) up until 2012. Ever since then i have been skipping months in between my periods and when i do get them they last a minimum of 3 weeks (I have bleed nonstop for 65 days before) I do not have a family doctor but have seen several specialists who all come to the same conclusion "Its not normal that you bleed that much but we can't find any abnormalities in your tests" They prescribed me "Medroxy 10mg" and it has helped in the past.. It stops it within 5 days... But this time im puzzled on what to do.. Ive had my period for two weeks.. after a week it slowed down so i was like ohhhh yeaaa its done lol.. But then i started to bleed extremely heavily and for four days now i am passing HUGE clots. I can't even wear a tampon because within 10 minutes the clot has pushed it out. I fill up a night pad within 2 hours and often when i sit down (this is gross - just an fyi) a clot often comes out before i can get seated and falls on the floor.. the last one was the entire length of my foot and quite wide. I am on my vacation so i have been sleeping alot because it just drains me... I don't want to go to the emergency (i live in Quebec, everything is free) because i will sit there for 12hrs just for them to tell me the same thing.. Nothings wrong. Today i am so lightheaded and tired (been taking iron supplements) I haven't read through all comments.. so does anyone have a similar story to me? I really want kids and i am afraid this isn't going to happen because i am soooo abnormal (we have been trying and.. well kind of hard to plan when im always skipping months then bleeding like a crazy fool for months ugh)