ask: I have been having 3week-1 month long periods w/ large clots. What could be causing the length and clots? Should I worry?

I'm 29 yrs. old and I've been having periods that last anywhere between 3 weeks and 1 month with about a 2 week break between each period. Along with my period I have huge clots. This has been happening since I had my daughter in 2006. I saw a doctor about it and he just put me on birth control pills to try and regulate it, but that just caused me to have blood clots in my lungs. I went on Coumadin and my period was normal while I was on the meds. Now I'm off Coumadin and my period went back to being long again and with the huge clots. Is there something my doctors should be testing for? Can this cause complications with conceiving again? What is wrong with my cycle?

Anonymous

I'm irregular and I can have period that can last up to 5 months a while ago the doctor said I was pre cancerous after doing all the test it came out negative. He put me on birth control to try to regulate it but that didn't do anything but make me grow hair .As I stressed it stays on I went for regular Pap smears and everything came back normal. I found out when I have my period I do not lose my eggs so that might be the cause of my body is still trying to release it

Anonymous

I have been experiencing the same! I was on birth control for years and I finally got off 2 years ago last August and my cycle hasn't been normal since! I never know when I am coming on and never know when I'm going off. I always figured that my body was trying to catch up and get back on the normal 5-7 day schedule with my cycle because I never had them when I was on depo, but now I'm convinced it's something else. I started my cycle around July 15th and I am still on! Bleeding very heavy at that with blood clots! I may go to bed one night and use the bathroom and think that I am off of my cycle (but still where a pad to bed), but wake up the next morning to find that I am actually still on. This is very frustrating!

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Depo can wreck havoc with periods when a woman comes off it and it can last over a year. I wish more doctor's told women this.

I think you should talk to your doctor about your options - this is no way to live.

Good luck and keep us posted.

To Susan Cody I'm sure your being helpful with a great heart, but telling everyone to go to doctor is not the best advice, I've been to so many doctors and specialist I lost count and have gotten no where but in debt with medical bills, doctors now days r pill pushers , do not listen and don't test for anything but the basic test they always run, instead of thinking out the box or remembering what they learned in school, I've been on period for one month and a white count of 20,000 been to ER 3 times they ran only blood work did no scan no ultra sound, but sure enough happy to push pain meds and send me on my way.

I'm going though the same. I was on the depo for about a month and had a horrible reaction so I didn't take it anymore and now i am going on the 3rd week of my period. The shot has been out of my system since the end of May and I have had normal periods since then but now it's just hit me like a train. My back pain (why I did the depo in the first place) is not worse then ever. And all my doctor wants to do is put me on a new birth control. I'm am 20 years old I want kids but I don't know how much more of this pain I can bare

Anonymous

I use to have this problem but then I went to the doctor and it turns out I was my thyroid. Get your thyroid levels checked and end the suffering.

Anonymous

Hi! I have always had a regular period every month, but this month is different, I started on the 13th of May and haven't stopped, I've gone to see my Dr. And he did some test they came back normal, didn't know what to do now.
Thank you

Anonymous

HI! I've been having an irregular period and its nearly a month now. It started from small blood then it became average and never heavy and when I thought it was going to end it bleed again and still the average. I'm in a lot of stress and I've been sleeping late and I've been taking 3 tablets of vitamins.

Can you advice me some remedies to stop this period or any irregular period that I might have?

Ps. What I mean about average is the blood only stays in the part of the pad that is directly attach to your pubic area

Thankss xoxo

Your cycle is very irregular for some reason - bleeding for a month is not normal. You need to see a doctor.

Anonymous

Hi I haven't had a period since December of 2014 and I just came on my period about two weeks ago and I'm still on my period. The bleeding is heavy some days and light other days. What should I do?

Hypermenorrhea

Hypermenorrhea Guide

Have you joined the IUD trend? What kind of birth control do you use? :