Hypermenorrhea

Hypermenorrhea Guide

ask: I have been having 3week-1 month long periods w/ large clots. What could be causing the length and clots? Should I worry?

By sueannrush

I'm 29 yrs. old and I've been having periods that last anywhere between 3 weeks and 1 month with about a 2 week break between each period. Along with my period I have huge clots. This has been happening since I had my daughter in 2006. I saw a doctor about it and he just put me on birth control pills to try and regulate it, but that just caused me to have blood clots in my lungs. I went on Coumadin and my period was normal while I was on the meds. Now I'm off Coumadin and my period went back to being long again and with the huge clots. Is there something my doctors should be testing for? Can this cause complications with conceiving again? What is wrong with my cycle?

Anonymous

I been having my period for 3 weeks already. My periods are not regularly but this the first time it has been this long. Is this normal??

Anonymous

hi im 26, i gave birth to my 2nd child last november after a month i had my 1st period but i was not that plenty,the next mobth i don't have any last feb 2 i have my period again,until now feb 20,it is like regular flow and having clot..do i have to to worry about this and check in my dr.??

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Congratulations on your new baby! 

Since it has only been three months, I think your cycle is still getting back to normal. Mine took at least 4 months.  So I don't think you should be overly concerned about this although it is rather annoying. Your cycle should be back to normal again in a couple more months.  Clots are normal in cycles and some women have much heavier periods after having children. 

However, if you feel like talking to the doctor, by all means make a call.

Anonymous

Hi,

I am 23 years old and I have periods since the age of 12. They have almost never been regular.

The last time I had periods, it lasted 2 weeks but it was nothing much to worry about for me.

A month after, I had started to see spotting and then a bit of blood. I now have very light periods. It has now been 3 weeks since I have my periods, very light ( they usually are bit abundant, but not so much ).

Could this be pre-menoposis ? Or what could be the problem ?

I really need help and would go to a doctor, even if this really embarrasse s me...

Thank you for your help ! :)

Anonymous

I too am experiencing a very prolonged period this month. It began on the 2nd of Feb and hasn't shown any sign of stopping. Also I have had some plum sized "jelly" like clots as well as bright red bleeding. I will be 50 in August and have had "regular" cycles since I was 13. I had 3 pregnancies resulting in 3 children - all healthy! I have no idea if this is menopause but this seems extreme. Also I am extremely tired and achy all over. Should I worry?

Thank you!

I know from listening to some older women that longer periods and clots were common as they entered menopause, and fatigue is also common with menopause. The clotting is not actually extreme. 

Read more on this condition here: 

http://www.empowher.com/media/reference/menorrhagia

Anonymous

Please help, I had my period last February 1, a heavy one with a huge jelly like clot,it stop on the same day, i am just using a panty linner... then last Feb.7, it became heavy again with clots.... i still have my period now and minimal stomac cramps... its already 13days.. first time in d history of my menstration... please help

I think it's a good idea to see a doctor as to why this is happening. You have have cysts or another condition that is causing such excessive bleeding. 

Anonymous

Hi!
I'm 17 and have been having irregular periods for about 3 years now. they are normally a minimum of 3 weeks and can last up to a whole 90 days. The bleeding is always very heavy, and as it should be coming to a stop, it becomes even heavier. I have been to the doctors so many times, but none of the medication they give me works. As i lose so much blood, I have now become anaemic, which means more meds yay.
No i haven't had any sexual contact at all whatsoever- so it's nothing to do with that. My doctor actually thought I was experiencing a miscarriage because of the amount of blood i was losing. It's scary.
It's honestly physically draining, i mean, i hate being on my period anyway, but for it to last so long is an absolute nightmare. I am on at the moment, and its been 24 days so far, it just doesnt seem to stop.

N

I assume the "medication" given to you was birth control (that didn't work?). 

While I can't recommend anything, I do know several women who have had a D&C due to constant bleeding, in order to shorted and regulate periods. Maybe you can talk to your doctor about this. A D&C (dilation and curettage) scrapes the lining of the uterus and can often look for cysts or other growths that could be causing all this bleeding.  An ultrasound (scan) is also a good idea, to see if there is a reason for this. 

We hope you can get to the bottom of this - please keep us posted.

Have you joined the IUD trend? What kind of birth control do you use? :