ask: I have been having 3week-1 month long periods w/ large clots. What could be causing the length and clots? Should I worry?

By sueannrush August 29, 2008 - 4:39pm

I'm 29 yrs. old and I've been having periods that last anywhere between 3 weeks and 1 month with about a 2 week break between each period. Along with my period I have huge clots. This has been happening since I had my daughter in 2006. I saw a doctor about it and he just put me on birth control pills to try and regulate it, but that just caused me to have blood clots in my lungs. I went on Coumadin and my period was normal while I was on the meds. Now I'm off Coumadin and my period went back to being long again and with the huge clots. Is there something my doctors should be testing for? Can this cause complications with conceiving again? What is wrong with my cycle?

Im concerned with my period of it is . Im 18 and my period normally lasts 5 days . 2 weeks ago i had my peruod it wasnt nor al because it was brown but then i got my normal period and it last for another 5 days after that ended my boyfriend and i have intercorse and then my period cameback and it's basically 3 weeks that i have my period . And at times it goes brown when its about to end but me and my boyfriend have intercorse and then it goes back to red ? Whats going on . Im worried

I have the same problem.. :/

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

You need to see a doctor, you may have some kind of hormonal imbalance or an infection.

what do i do

If you are bleeding all the time, this may indicate that you have a hormonal imbalance - please see a doctor for testing in order to solve this problem. Blood tests will likely be needed.

I'm irregular and I can have period that can last up to 5 months a while ago the doctor said I was pre cancerous after doing all the test it came out negative. He put me on birth control to try to regulate it but that didn't do anything but make me grow hair .As I stressed it stays on I went for regular Pap smears and everything came back normal. I found out when I have my period I do not lose my eggs so that might be the cause of my body is still trying to release it

I have been experiencing the same! I was on birth control for years and I finally got off 2 years ago last August and my cycle hasn't been normal since! I never know when I am coming on and never know when I'm going off. I always figured that my body was trying to catch up and get back on the normal 5-7 day schedule with my cycle because I never had them when I was on depo, but now I'm convinced it's something else. I started my cycle around July 15th and I am still on! Bleeding very heavy at that with blood clots! I may go to bed one night and use the bathroom and think that I am off of my cycle (but still where a pad to bed), but wake up the next morning to find that I am actually still on. This is very frustrating!

Same. I'm very scared to Tell my mom bc idk what caused this to happen & I'm only 14.. someone please tell me why I have a period whenever it decides to come & be done when it chooses to..

Go tell your mom to bring u to a clinic if this has been going on for acouple of months to years. I was your age and it got progresaively worse when I was 16. It was to the extent of wearing adult nappies so as not to miss school. At 16, I was sitting for my O levels, so bleeding and weak I still have to attend school. I was diagnosed with bilateral cyst on my endometrium near my fallopian tubes. Had the cysts removed a week after my o levels. Was put on birth control for about six years and monitored every four months, blood tests and scans. Then I stopped taking BC as the hospital discharged my case. Period was some what regular and not crazy heavy till recently.

I am 24 now, and was diagnosed with PCOS couple of days ago. I have been bleeding for three weeks now. First two weeks was crazy heavy. (I.E. nappies). I went to GP at end of first week, was put on NorE for five days. Period still heavy but not nappy worthy. Meds finished and I had to go ER last Monday( hourly overnight maxi pad change, fatigue, nausea etc), they put me on NorE for three weeks. So shall see how it goes. Last Friday I have been to gynae. Did ultrasound, I saw polycystic ovaries. So gynae told me to finish course of NorE. Wait for seven days before starting BC.

I am getting annoyed with this prolonged period that requires overnight maxi pad change every three hours as my skin is starting to chaff down there.

Anyway, don't be super worried and paranoid. Just go see doctor. If he or she does not take you seriously. Tell them it is affecting your daily activities.

I'm sure there isn't anything you did to cause this and your mom will probably be very understanding and concerned. The most likely cause is just a minor hormonal imbalance, however it can be a sign of more serious issues and you should talk to your mom or another adult you trust an see a physician.

Hypermenorrhea Guide

Have you joined the IUD trend? What kind of birth control do you use? :