Hypermenorrhea

Hypermenorrhea Guide

ask: I have been having 3week-1 month long periods w/ large clots. What could be causing the length and clots? Should I worry?

By sueannrush

I'm 29 yrs. old and I've been having periods that last anywhere between 3 weeks and 1 month with about a 2 week break between each period. Along with my period I have huge clots. This has been happening since I had my daughter in 2006. I saw a doctor about it and he just put me on birth control pills to try and regulate it, but that just caused me to have blood clots in my lungs. I went on Coumadin and my period was normal while I was on the meds. Now I'm off Coumadin and my period went back to being long again and with the huge clots. Is there something my doctors should be testing for? Can this cause complications with conceiving again? What is wrong with my cycle?

Anonymous

Hi Everyone. I am in the same boat as most of you. I am 25 years old, i have always had normal menstrual cycles (every 28 days for 6 days) up until 2012. Ever since then i have been skipping months in between my periods and when i do get them they last a minimum of 3 weeks (I have bleed nonstop for 65 days before) I do not have a family doctor but have seen several specialists who all come to the same conclusion "Its not normal that you bleed that much but we can't find any abnormalities in your tests" They prescribed me "Medroxy 10mg" and it has helped in the past.. It stops it within 5 days... But this time im puzzled on what to do.. Ive had my period for two weeks.. after a week it slowed down so i was like ohhhh yeaaa its done lol.. But then i started to bleed extremely heavily and for four days now i am passing HUGE clots. I can't even wear a tampon because within 10 minutes the clot has pushed it out. I fill up a night pad within 2 hours and often when i sit down (this is gross - just an fyi) a clot often comes out before i can get seated and falls on the floor.. the last one was the entire length of my foot and quite wide. I am on my vacation so i have been sleeping alot because it just drains me... I don't want to go to the emergency (i live in Quebec, everything is free) because i will sit there for 12hrs just for them to tell me the same thing.. Nothings wrong. Today i am so lightheaded and tired (been taking iron supplements) I haven't read through all comments.. so does anyone have a similar story to me? I really want kids and i am afraid this isn't going to happen because i am soooo abnormal (we have been trying and.. well kind of hard to plan when im always skipping months then bleeding like a crazy fool for months ugh)

Anonymous

i hate to comment so late but 13 and about 30 days ago i started birth control just for my extreme perids and cramps, i would get cramp so bad i wouldnt be able to walk! so after about 5 doctors visits, an ultrasound, an xray, and a visit to the gynocolist and she put me on birth control and lucky for me i got period that night and it still hasnt stopped. after about 10 days it lightened up alittle but now its off and on heavy and light. my mom called my doctor and she said "its normal" and "it will stop on its own" and im getting worried

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Your bleeding should have stopped soon after you wrote and should be much lighter from now on. If not, tell your mom and insist on your doctor seeing you again.

Anonymous

Hello, I'm 25 I never been pregnant I been bleeding for 2 weeks with large amount of clots like bigger then a baseball but I also been having my period every other week this never happened to me before I been to the ER twice already and they say everything is normal and I'm a little anemic to me this is nothing normal and I been wanting to get pregnant and I can't can someone help please :(

Anonymous

Hello,
I am 30 years old and was on BC from 1999 to 2010. I have been off of BC since then and had regular periods. My last period started just over six weeks ago and it has not stopped. I am having very heavy bleeding with large blood clots. I went to a Dr. who informed me, after a very quick pelvic exam, nothing felt abnormal. Any suggestions are helpful. I've been told by a few people about a natural her called Vitex, any information on this would be appreciated as well. Thank you.

I would suggest that you see another doctor and do so soon. Six weeks of unexplained non-stop bleeding is not normal and cannot be brushed aside as "nothing abnormal". You need to see a different doctor, you probably need blood work done, as well as scans and a proper physical. I would do this straight away before trying supplements. I think you received very shoddy care from your doctor.  See someone better. 

Will you keep us posted?

Anonymous

I'm 14 and I've been having my period for 29 days now. It started off normal, then it got lighter so I thought I was done, but then it got heavy. Then light again. Now it's really heavy and has been for a few days. I've been having a lot of clots - not exactly large ones, normal sized ones that happen very frequently. This has happened once before and the last time, my doctor said it was normal for me. I'm anemic and my doctor said to take iron pills which I have been. This time, my doctor said to go to a gynecologist but I'm really scared.. It's getting to the point where I'm always uncomfortable during school. Help!

I know this is overwhelming for you, especially since you are only 14 but your doctor is right, you need to see a gynecologist. She will run some tests to see why you are bleeding so much because this kind of bleeding is not normal. It is a scary time but hopefully you just have a hormonal imbalance that can easily be sorted out. Please make an appointment - you'll be glad you you did.

Best

Anonymous

i am 45..and i can go without a cycle for months an now im bleeding bad for 3 weeks i have had my tubes tied for 23 years.i go threw pads like crazy.and my clots are a size of the bottom of a pop can:( so stressed out..

Anonymous

I'm 25 I have a 1yr old I have had only 4 periods since I have had her because they are so long they last months I ve had my period for 2 months now with a lot of clotting about 2 hrs ago the clotting has gotten to where they are big enough to feel each one and I have to run to the bathroom this is happening every 5 to 10 mins. No pain just some headaches that feel like I have an icepick going into my brain and I'm very tired these days! I have no clue what to do