I have a certain health problem and it's related to a holiday coming up which is a problem, Can someone help me with this?

By July 27, 2011 - 10:21am

Hi, I have a question to ask regarding a health matter and a holiday called Yom Kippur. I'm 27 years old and I'm dealing with a very personal health matter right now which is I experience under arm and breast pain and this is somthing that has become a random problem for me and my doctor doesn't always know what causes it. It's been about ten times that I have been experiencing such problem and it's not a easy matter to deal with. I'm not sure if you know about the holiday called Yom Kippur but I know on Yom Kippur is a holiday were we have to fast you obviously can't eat anything not even prescriptions or anything that's how the holiday is. My concern is since I have this random under arm and breast pain which I experience it very randomly I'm afraid during Yom Kippur I have such pain and problem and since I can't have prescription or anything I don't know what I should do? I'm going to see my doctor next week and I'm thinking of telling him that I have to solve this health matter before this holiday because I can't have prescription or anything. Do you think this is the right thing I'm saying to my doctor about this holiday? My doctor says he doesn't see it being a problem because he doesn't always see it being infected but such problem I've been experiencing is random the problem I'm experiencing comes and goes alot. You know what I mean? I know during Yom Kippur you should be feeling well and holiday goes well but such health problem I have which is a random problem I don't know what more I should tell my doctor to help me with this matter. I have to solve this issue before the holiday. I really appreciate your response.

Thank you,

Thanks for your reply. I understand that it won't be cured before the holiday what I meant to say is when I experience such pain and problem is very random and I'm worried if in case something happens during the time of the holiday and since I can't have nothing is what concerns me. Anyways, I do know what you mean and I will mention this holiday matter to my doctor to know if there is anything I should do about it and I will do with what he says. Most importantly this problem I'm experiencing is not easy at all and I just hope I get better from it. I will just have to mention everything I know to my doctor.

Hi Melissa,

What you choose to say to your doctor is up to you. But please understand that when you have symptoms of an illness, the illness itself does not know that there is a holiday and that you cannot be sick. Your doctor is no more than human-- he can try to help but no one can guarantee that you will not need medication or be free of these symptoms on Yom Kippur. As Susan suggested, continue to work with your doctor but you cannot make requests to be cured by certain dates, it is not humanly possible to say "You will be cured by Yom Kippur." Certainly you can mention your upcoming religious holiday to your doctor, but please don't expect him to give you a guarantee that you will be cured by that date.

I see okay. So you mean it's just best I mention my doctor for such random pain and problem I have and that since there is a upcoming holiday which I can't have anything during the holiday to be able to help me solve this issue before then? You think it's okay for me to just mention this to my doctor?

Thanks for your reply. I didon't explain further my oncologist he is a kind of doctor who understand womens breast pain. He's been helpful all the way but in this matter I've been experiencing pain he told me the lymph nodes under the arms would be swollen if I experience such pain and symptoms but he doesn't always see it being like that. It's been like three times so far that he told me my under arm is infected and from this point I want to tell him something in a way to convince him to help me with this matter.
I have been to a breast surgeon and told me once I experience such pain and problem I should see him right away. So far it's like that for me between the breast surgeon. For the hoiday Yom Kippur I want to know what do you think is best I should tell my doctor to make him understand to help me solve this issue before the holiday? My doctor told me to see an infectious disease specialist which I did and told me it's not I.D. and that the problem is from something else because the doctor felt something hard under my left arm.
Do you think if I mention such thing to a rabbi and maybe if he writes a small letter that since I have medical problem to be solved before the holiday? Do you think it's a good idea coming from a rabbi?
Please let me know soon.

HERWriter Guide (reply to Melissa6666)

Hi Melissa

I cannot give you any kind of advice about religious matters - I am non-religious and know nothing about Judaism. All I can tell you again is that you can certainly talk to your Rabbi about this.

But it's like wanting cancer cured by next week or wanting there to be no rain on a certain date - it can't be done just because you want it. You are taking about a medical condition that knows no specific dates, holidays or religion. Your body doesn't know it's Yom Kippur! So to want to make sure you have resolved a medical issue by and for one specific 24 hour holiday is just not possible.

My advice is to do what you feel is right in terms of talking to your Rabbi but wanting him to write a letter to a doctor to make sure you are well for Yom Kippur just doesn't make sense.

I looked up Yom Kippur for this year - it's in October, right? If that's the case, just continue to work with your doctors (ask your current doctor for a referral) and try to understand that you may have an issue with your breast pain on this holiday, but hope for the best that you won't .

Thanks for your reply. I understand the holidays restrictions but there is something that I didn't explain very well. I'm only 27 years old and I have been experiencing under arm and breast pain and it has been almost 10 times that I keep getting in such pain with symptoms of fever, nausea, loss of appetite and how I get in such pain with all these symptoms is very random it comes and goes a lot. I have been to my doctor for this and he has given me antibiotics until I felt better but the pain and problem keeps coming back. It doesn't even go away. I have been to a breast surgeon and he told me he doesn't see anything under my arms but since I've been in such pain and is a random problem he told me once I experience such problem I should go see him right away to figure out the problem. So far it's like this for me. My doctor who knows my whole problem and history he doesn't know what more to tell me because he doesn't see any problem and next week I'm going to see him for follow up. He's a oncologist.
What I'm wondering from this point is what should I tell my oncologist due to how I keep feeling like this which is very random? I'm going to explain to him everything I can and especially since this is a random problem my concern would be what I should do if in case I feel like this during the holiday Yom Kippur? I want to tell my doctor that if he can help me with this matter before the holiday.
I keep getting random sharp pain under my arms and my doctor keep saying I don't see anything, but I'm actually feeling a lot of pain and I want to know what is best I can tell me doctor to understand to help me solve this matter as soon as possible?
At some point when it really bothers me I end up crying and I don't know what is this that my doctor doesn't understand. I'm not in that kind of pain right now with the symptoms I mentioned it's all very, very random. It comes and goes a lot. I'm really tired from all this and when I see my doctor next week what more you think is best I tell him? Whatever you think is best I mention do you think is best I contact a Rabbi so he write a letter or something explaining that since I have such problem to solve this issue before the holiday arrives so I can show it to my doctor? I know during Yom Kippur you should be feeling well so the holiday goes well. I'd really appreciate your suggestion. I'm going to see my doctor next week on Wednesday I'd like to know before I see him what is best for me to let me doctor know.

HERWriter Guide (reply to Melissa6666)

Hi again Melissa

Thanks for your update.

With regard to Yom Kippur, you cannot guarantee that you will feel well during that time; that's just something you'll have to take day by day. I am not religious so I can't really guide you in terms of connecting with your Rabbi about this; unless he is a doctor his input will only be spiritual rather than medical. And this is a decision left up to you.

With regard to your pain, if you don't have cancer, why are you seeing an oncologist? Nobody sees an oncologist unless they have cancer so can you let us know about that?

You need to be referred to a pain specialist or a breast specialist to investigate what's really going on. Can you ask your oncologist for a referral to a doctor who specializes in this?

Dear Melissa

Yom Kippur is one of the strictest holidays in terms of behavior.

However, it may be perfectly safe to skip a day of medication if you wish. I'm sure your doctor is very well versed in talking with patients of many religions and cultures so there should be no problem there. Ask him about it.

Also, according to the Jewish Virtual Library, there are exceptions made for taking water/medication (along with some others) so again, they advise speaking with a doctor and rabbi. Many people of your faith take very serious medications and must do, on a daily basis so as the virtual library said, exceptions are made for this. You can read more here: http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/Judaism/holiday4.html

Please don't stress about it since provisions are made for people who need to take a prescription on this day. Or you may be able to safely skip the meds for 24 hours.
I hope this helps and thanks for writing!

Breast Conditions

Breast Conditions Guide