I have low cortisol levels according to a saliva test.

By October 31, 2011 - 5:57am

I have weight gain around the stomach and a huge stress level over the last 6 months. I'm always tired and depressed and have no energy. I think all my symptoms are more like high levels but mine are low. I am trying to deal with it with supplements but don't want to risk my health if I need other treatment. Please help.

Hi Marley-Sadie

While increased cortisol levels can result in an increase in weight, there are many other reasons for weight gain. I assume you were tested to see if you have Cushing's Disease?

You need to get to the bottom of your stress. What's causing it? Whatever it is, it needs to be eliminated or at least reduced. We all have stress factors in our lives but our goal is to keep them moderate, if we can't get rid of them altogether.

Are you an emotional eater? Do you turn to food when you're stressed? A good idea is for you to keep a food journal. Studies show we over-estimate how many calories we lose from activities and working out etc. and vastely underestimate how much we eat. A journal is generally a wake-up call for many.

Have you had other hormones checked, like your thyroid or reproductive hormones. A thyroid malfunction or menopause can cause weight gain and both (especially a thyroid condition) can cause fatigue and depression. Depression can be linked to thyroid conditions. For more, click here: http://www.empowher.com/condition/thyroid-conditions

For Menopause, click here: http://www.empowher.com/condition/menopause

Let me know if this information has helped you and if we can help you more!

Cortisol Guide