Is the ingredient Lanolin bad for your skin? I see lanolin and paraffinum liquidum (mineral oil) in many products.

By March 7, 2013 - 3:54pm

I see lanolin and paraffinum liquidum (mineral oil) in many products. I know mineral oil can clog your pores but will lanolin do the same thing?

Hello Ibahn,

Lanolin is a substance that is secreted by the sebaceous glands of sheep. It is used in cosmetics and personal care products because it acts as a lubricant, making skin soft and smooth, while preventing water loss.

In the 1960s, farmers started using more pesticides on their crops and on their flock of sheep to protect them from infestations. Due to the traces of pesticides in lanolin, use of it posed a real concern. Currently, lanolin is purified and its chances of causing allergies are small and not higher than that of other ingredients used in cosmetic and personal care products.