Is This Kidney Related?

By March 29, 2012 - 6:03pm

Hi, I experience back pain daily because I have scoliosis and recently I feel alot of pain on the lower left side of my back. I take prescriptions cyclobenzaprine and naproxen for back pain as I need to but I don't see any relief on the lower left side of my back. Could this mean that it's kidney related pain? I don't know what to take for such pain. I'm seeing my doctor next week but I'm in so much pain that I end up crying. I noticed something strange which is whenever I drink either orange juice or apple juice I feel much better from pain. I do know that it's vitamin C and that vitamin C fights infection. Could this mean that my kidney is infected? My lower back felt very warm by touch. Orange juice and apple juice is the only relief I have right now. Please let me know.

Thank You,

Okay thank you. Rather than writing them down do you think it's a good idea I print out the list of symptoms so the doctor understands it better?

(reply to Melissa6666)

I don't think it matters, but it may make it more organized and neat for the doctor, which would be nice. 

Good luck Melissa!

I see okay. One thing I realized which is which such pain I have on the lower left side of my back I also experience symptoms of burning sensation in the area and all the way down to my left leg does this mean anything bad? My breathe from time to time tastes like infection and I get really horrible nausea is this all related in having kidney infection? Please let me know.

Thank You,

(reply to Melissa6666)

You have described a wide variety of symptoms. I previously posted the symptoms of kidney infection, which you may use as a reference. What you should do is write down all of your symptoms and concerns and describe them to your doctor. Since I am not a medical professional, at this point it is best to write down and direct related symptoms to your doctor.

Refer to our kidney page for more information: http://www.empowher.com/media/reference/kidney-infection

Thanks for your reply. I do have some of the symptoms you mentioned such as lower back pain on the left side, on the side of my abdomen I also have pain, I do get nausea from time to time and I was experiencing loss of appetite.

I also do know that I have high DHEA levels and that the cause of it is a benign tumor near my kidney. Do you think having a benign tumor can cause any pain or problem related to what I mentioned in how I'm feeling right now?

I had one capsule of antibiotics from my doctor in the past and I took it out of how I'm feeling I felt so much better by next day. What do you think this could mean? Since I'm going to see my doctor soon I don't know if I should mention that I had a antiobiotic due to how I'm feeling. Please let me know about these.

Thank You,

(reply to Melissa6666)

Hi Melissa,

It's always best to tell your doctor everything! Since there are so many things that you're concerned about, it's best to share all of these with your doctor, since he/she is providing you with care.

As for the antibiotic, I'm not 100% clear on what you're saying. But you should never take just one antibiotic. Antibiotics are meant to be taken for a whole "round" (however many are prescribed to you). Taking just one antibiotic will not completely eliminate the bacteria, and can instead make them stronger. This can create the possibility for antibiotic resistance. 

Please learn more here: http://familydoctor.org/familydoctor/en/drugs-procedures-devices/prescri...

Symptoms of kidney infection include:

• Pain in the abdomen, lower back, side, or groin
  • Frequent urination
  • Urgent urination that produces only a small amount of urine
  • Sensation of a full bladder even after urination
  • Burning pain with urination
  • Fever and chills
  • Nausea and vomiting
  • Pus and blood in the urine
  • Loss of appetite

If you are experiencing a few of these symptoms, it may be possible. The good news is that you're going to the doctor soon! If the pain becomes unbearable, try to get in sooner-- I can't imagine spending the weekend in unbearable pain.

As for the juice, very funny that you mention that. Livestrong.com sites that "Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy published results in 1989 supporting the use of orange, cranberry and pineapple juices in inhibiting bacteria, particularly E. coli. The Shizjiazhuang Kidney Disease Hospital recommends drinking orange juice as a part of a regular routine for maintaining the health of your urinary tract."

Read more at: http://www.livestrong.com/article/534466-kidney-infections-orange-juice/

And visit our informational kidney pages: 

Kidney Infection

Kidney Infection Guide