Long term results from Her Option Uterine Cryoablation Therapy System

By November 18, 2009 - 7:31am

I had my Her Option Uterine Cryoablation Therapy System done two years ago April. I was 49 at the time. I have been looking for ladies that had the same procedure (with 1+ years since surgery) to see what their thoughts are i.e. long term side effects, regrets, plus anything positive. I am now pre-mena. and I am not sure if the procedure brought in on earlier then expected. I haven't "yet" regretted having the procedure done as living without ibuprofen, tampons and my heating pad has been great - I hope those sentiments last.

Hi I had the procedure done about seven years ago. The only side affect I had was it sent me on to menopause about three months after the procedure. My husband said it gave me a new attitude he was thankful.

Dear Everyone,

Hi I'm 46 years old and a mother of 3, ages soon to be 20, 16 and now 11. So (sadly) my child birth days are now over, and I've finally come to accept that fact. Honestly that has been the hardest part (for me) to mentally get over in regards to wanting a permanent procedure for my inordinately heavy periods. I don't have pain, that's the 2nd reason for my trepidation. I'm afraid that I might get pain in lieu of heavy periods, which to me would be probably worse, as I'm not real stoic. Its one thing to suffer monthly with copious bleeding, after all I've been doing it for years with tsunami like periods, but I don't have pain. I'm not into pain...I don't think I could handle that.
My ferritin and my hemoglobin are in the gutter both well below the lowest number possible. I live on a supped up iron supplement that you have to buy over the counter. I've tried birth control pills, IUD, an Antifibrionolytic agent, all with not great results.
When I'm having my period I'm like "God I can't do this anymore, who bleeds like this and survives???? and I'm so tired...then the bleeding stops and I'm like "Quit being a baby, suck it up princess, get over this."
My Gynecologist, he tells me that I probably have 5 or 6 more years of this. I'm exhausted a lot. I weigh this option DAILY if not hourly in my mind. Do I want to suffer it out? It doesn't help when you read all the info out there either, because let's be honest not everyone is going to have a day at the beach, things happen, and you won't know until you've actually had the procedure done yourself. I've read enough about every procedure to make myself informed and borderline paranoid, ha ha.
To add complications I'm a nurse. I've also worked in the past in the OR, so I'm a bit seasoned, in that I've scrubbed for many a surgery, including hysterectomies. I would quite frankly prefer to keep my uterus intact. That's what attracts me about the Cyroablation. I get to keep my parts, minus my lining.
I've been a good girl and also done my homework, as I don't like surprizes, and this is MY BODY. If I don't make an informed choice then quite frankly (to me/for me) I've dropped the ball. I work permanent nights and I'm super busy with the fam. For my family and myself I need my pep back. I'm tired of being tired A LOT. My GP (who is awesome) recommends losing some weight and continuing with the mega iron as adipose (fat) I'm overweight can add to heavy periods.
I've read up on Endometrial Ablations too, vs cyroablations. I'm not interested in thermal ablations. Cyro is the only thing that has caught my eye, that I would seriously consider. I think that it would be better to freeze than burn.
I would appreciate any and all feedback you might have.

Thanks so much.

So guess what I'm Canadian. I talked to my gyne they don't offer this procedure in Canada, only USA! Ugggghhhhh. So unless I want a thermal ablation I'm SOL. Lovely....

I had mine done a year ago. Had a heavy period the next month like I hadn't had anything done. Then there was a 6 month gap and another period of 14 days, but not so heavy. Three months later I had a horrid heavy period. Large clots and bleeding for days. Not sure if this worked or not. If it was once every 6 months I wouldn't mind. I'm 51 so not sure what to do at this point.

i have had this procedure done twice the second a little over a year ago. at that time i was taken down to zero lining. 4 months later i ended up in the er with severe abdominal pain the doctor on call gave me a shot of morphine and told me to suck it up it was mentrual cramping. needless to say less than a week later i was in the OR because my cervix got froze shut and i was backing up and had a infection wich i had to take antibiotics for. recently the past 4 months i have had massive migraines constant spotting and of course my gyno retired so i had to see a new one. he did not take time to look at my records just told me i was fine, it was normal. now after seeking a second opinion from a specialist my only option left is for a partial hysterectomy. i regret having the procedure done the second time it was suppose to prevent me ever having to have a hysterectomy. i feel like it was let down. i am 31 years old and feel the whole procedure was a big mistake. where i live we now have a support group there are actually 16 of us that have had this done 3 including myself are having hysterectomy's and 7 have already had one. the last 6 are also having problems and considering the same option we are or have had to make. has anyone else been through this as well

Hi ladies! I had my procedure done almost 6 years ago, it has been great. My periods are only 4-5 days and so much lighter. I'm only 34 now too. How ever I do get severe cramping now and terrible migraines. Not sure if its a side effect or part of my process. I dont regret it one bit! Just wanted to share.

I am 49 years old and had this done a few years ago. It's been AWESOME. I haven't had any periods nor side effects. I still have hormonal changes from menopause, but THANK GOD I don't have to deal with periods on top of it. Best thing I've ever done!

I'm so glad this treatment has worked so well for you, Anon.

Thanks for posting! 

I had it done last day Dec 2009 I want to know if any women have gotten pelvic prolapse from her option mine was not successful .

I can't say for sure I have prolapse, but I think that may be my issue. I go for an ultrasound in 3 days to try to find out what is go in on. I had the her option procedure in January of 2013. My periods are lighter, but still last 14 to 16 days. Now I have severe pain in lower back and tailbone, and also terrible cramps between periods. Dr says the only other option is a hysterectomy.

Menopause Guide