my sons high cholesterol

By April 14, 2010 - 7:58am

My son is 4, on the test we had it said his cholesterol should be between 110-170 and his is 204. Is this dangerously high and what should I do? My doctor is on hoilday and so there was a stand in doctor who just said it may run in the family which it doesnt and also just to do a diet. The worst thing is my son eats everything, he has fruit and veg everyday and doesnt eat much fried food, I also racion his choclate and crisp.

Hi Suzanne

I'm sorry to see your son has such high cholesterol at this young age. You are right, this may well be genetic (high cholesterol can be genetic).

With regard to diet, eliminate all fried food straight away. You can grill everything instead and also bake items like fries (that should be eaten on a limited basis). I would ok the rationed chocolate but eliminate the crisps completely. It'll be hard on him but a 4 year old shouldn't be eating crisps unless he is a a birthday party or special occasion. Just remove the crisps and anything fried from his diet.

Here is a great article on Empowher than help with knowing what's good and not good to eat, in terms of cholesterol: http://www.empowher.com/news/herarticle/2009/09/13/10-ways-lower-cholesterol-naturally

It's great he is eating fruits and veg every day this adds in plenty of fiber to help with high cholesterol. Make sure his breakfast is high fiber and not a sugary/chocolaty concoction.

As soon as your doctor is back, take your son in for further discussion.

Do you have high cholesterol? Or other family members?

High Cholesterol

High Cholesterol Guide