Facebook Pixel

My Urethra is enlarged/swollen with NO other symptons, no pain, itching, nothing!

By September 20, 2009 - 10:19am
Rate This

I only noticed this as I was washing myself in the shower. We all know what we feel like, and I suddenly noticed a bump inside my vaginal lips, right beside my vagina. I have looked at it with a mirror a number of times, it is surely my urethra, and it is enlarged...it actually looks like a teeny little penis head ! (a really teeny one). There is no pain, even when touching it, no burning or itching, no problems when I pee. I went to a male doctor, he didn't see any obvious problem, but he said he did feel a bump inside me, he thought may be a cyst ? I think he didn't have a clue actually, he is going to send me to a gynecologist, but it will take months to get an appointment. I am 48 years old, my period is starting to become irregular, and just as of a few days ago...I think I am starting to get hot flashes! I am very healthy, I have never had any real 'womens' problems, other than occasional itching or burning, but that has been usually after a hot weekend! lol. I have searched all over the internet for some answers, but I only find enlarged/swollen urethra issues that are associated with other symptoms. Has anyone any idea of what may be going on with me ? Thank you !

Add a Comment71 Comments

EmpowHER Guest

I am currently having similar issue at age 54 . It literally looks like my urethra inverted itself outside the urethra opening, its about 2 cm long.
My gyno did not see anything wrong and said my organs are not prolapsed. He told me to try sitz baths.
I immediately made an appt with my urologist since it involves the urethra and not the vagina.
Though i have to wait two weeks to see him.
As far as sex, it is a no go, extremely painful, even the transvaginal exam hurt like heck, no results yet.

August 21, 2016 - 12:02pm
EmpowHER Guest

I am having a similar problem where my urethra and the area around it is swollen and protruding which causes discomfort during and after sexual intercourse. I have noticed that some people have mentioned that they are approaching menopause, so I thought I might add that I'm experiencing this at age 30. I've been treated for a yeast infections several times, have been tested for STI's several times (despite negative results, having only one long-term sexual partner, and not having much sex anymore at all because of the pain and discomfort.) I've been to two OBGYN's and I've been given the same advice: use un-scented soaps and detergent, only wear cotton underwear (which I have always done), Don't wear thongs (I don't), use plenty of lube (I've been trying that and it doesn't seem to help) and don't wear underwear to sleep to allow things to air out. It is frustrating to go to the doctor and have them ignore or downplay something that is having such a negative impact on my personal life. I am sad and worried and afraid for my health and I sympathize with many others who are experiencing the same thing. I know that ultimately, my problem will not be solved by self-diagnosing via online threads, but it seems after two visits that I need to go to my next doctor's visit equipped with ideas and suggestions (which I'm sure they will love) for what could be wrong. I have relied on their expertise and they have not been able to give me answers so far. How can this happen to so many woman and be such a mystery to so many health care providers? In searching for answers, I have found the following advice, and while I intend to visit my gynecologist again with a more detailed description of my problem and more targeted questions, I may end up seeking seeking the advice a specialist.

February 16, 2016 - 12:40am
EmpowHER Guest
Anonymous (reply to Anonymous)

my problem is it feels like I'm sitting on a cactus ! Doctors keep giving me anti-biotics, which do NO good. Actually one of them made me so sick from and OB that my family Dr. took it from my hands and put it in with trash. He said it could have killed me. Mean while I still suffer and no answers

August 22, 2016 - 10:51am
EmpowHER Guest
Anonymous (reply to Anonymous)

Oh my goodness, I am dealing with the exact same thing. I am only 20 so I'm fairly sure it's not menopause, but I've had this bump for a long time and every time I mention it to a doctor they ignore it. It's really uncomfortable and it makes me not even want to have sex at all I actually think it stops pleasure for me. Would you happen to have an email or something? I'd love to talk to you about it. You're the first person with a similar story to mine

May 28, 2016 - 4:49am
EmpowHER Guest
Anonymous (reply to Anonymous)

I am 21 & the exact same thing is happening!!!!!

July 24, 2016 - 8:24pm
EmpowHER Guest
Anonymous (reply to Anonymous)

Hi I'm 31 and I've been having the same problems for the last 6 months or so. I currently have my third lump. The first time I got it I freaked out and went to the ER and nobody knew what it was. It was close enough to the urethra but still kinda protruding out of me from the inside of my vagina opening. I went to a gyno a couple days later but the night before it popped on its own a little brownish reddish discharge came out. I had the gyno check anyways to make sure it wasn't an open wound or infected. She said it was fine but she didn't know what it was. Like two months later I get another and go to a different gyno. They actually cut it open and drained it and tested the discharge for infection and found none. Now I have it again and still don't know what to do since dr.'s don't know what it is and I'm tired of going to the dr all the time but I also don't want to have mystery lumps on my vag. I'm on the Mirena IUD which I know can cause cysts but I've been on it forever and never had an issue until lately. I hope one of us gets an answer soon!

May 5, 2016 - 5:42pm

Desiree, did you figure out what it was , will it go away?

December 8, 2015 - 9:01pm
EmpowHER Guest

I had similar experience and when I tried to find answers on net...I cudnt and it only confused and scared me. So finally o went to see a doctor. She diagnosed it as a cervical polyp. Mine has grown so big that I can actually feel it and can c it. Anyways since it has comeout it started getting infected and hence the burning sensation and the spotting.
Solution is ...get it removed asap. Its a simple procedure. Nothing to worry. In fact it just requires a half day hospitalization and u r back to normal.

Please get it removed. I did..jat a couple of weeks back and cant tell u how relieved I am.

take care!

September 27, 2015 - 8:19am
(reply to Anonymous)

was it painful when you got it removed?

December 10, 2015 - 4:13pm
EmpowHER Guest

Hi, Ok so I need some advice. For the past 3 months I have had some swollen tissue inside and at the opening of my vagina. I have had no pain, no itching, no burning, or any other discomfort. I went to the gynecologist and she said I had a bacteria infection which could have caused it. I took my antibiotics but the swelling is still there. She also acted like I didn't have a big problem and that it isn't very swollen. But to me, compared to how my vagina use to look/feel it's very swollen. Anyone have any ideas of what this could be? Thanks

May 18, 2015 - 9:04pm
Enter the characters shown in the image.
By submitting this form, you agree to EmpowHER's terms of service and privacy policy
Add a Comment

All user-generated information on this site is the opinion of its author only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical conditions. Members and guests are responsible for their own posts and the potential consequences of those posts detailed in our Terms of Service.