My Urethra is enlarged/swollen with NO other symptons, no pain, itching, nothing!

By Desiree144 September 20, 2009 - 10:19am

I only noticed this as I was washing myself in the shower. We all know what we feel like, and I suddenly noticed a bump inside my vaginal lips, right beside my vagina. I have looked at it with a mirror a number of times, it is surely my urethra, and it is enlarged...it actually looks like a teeny little penis head ! (a really teeny one). There is no pain, even when touching it, no burning or itching, no problems when I pee. I went to a male doctor, he didn't see any obvious problem, but he said he did feel a bump inside me, he thought may be a cyst ? I think he didn't have a clue actually, he is going to send me to a gynecologist, but it will take months to get an appointment. I am 48 years old, my period is starting to become irregular, and just as of a few days ago...I think I am starting to get hot flashes! I am very healthy, I have never had any real 'womens' problems, other than occasional itching or burning, but that has been usually after a hot weekend! lol. I have searched all over the internet for some answers, but I only find enlarged/swollen urethra issues that are associated with other symptoms. Has anyone any idea of what may be going on with me ? Thank you !

Anonymous

I am having a similar problem where my urethra and the area around it is swollen and protruding which causes discomfort during and after sexual intercourse. I have noticed that some people have mentioned that they are approaching menopause, so I thought I might add that I'm experiencing this at age 30. I've been treated for a yeast infections several times, have been tested for STI's several times (despite negative results, having only one long-term sexual partner, and not having much sex anymore at all because of the pain and discomfort.) I've been to two OBGYN's and I've been given the same advice: use un-scented soaps and detergent, only wear cotton underwear (which I have always done), Don't wear thongs (I don't), use plenty of lube (I've been trying that and it doesn't seem to help) and don't wear underwear to sleep to allow things to air out. It is frustrating to go to the doctor and have them ignore or downplay something that is having such a negative impact on my personal life. I am sad and worried and afraid for my health and I sympathize with many others who are experiencing the same thing. I know that ultimately, my problem will not be solved by self-diagnosing via online threads, but it seems after two visits that I need to go to my next doctor's visit equipped with ideas and suggestions (which I'm sure they will love) for what could be wrong. I have relied on their expertise and they have not been able to give me answers so far. How can this happen to so many woman and be such a mystery to so many health care providers? In searching for answers, I have found the following advice, and while I intend to visit my gynecologist again with a more detailed description of my problem and more targeted questions, I may end up seeking seeking the advice a specialist.

nonickname

Desiree, did you figure out what it was , will it go away?

Anonymous

Hi..
I had similar experience and when I tried to find answers on net...I cudnt and it only confused and scared me. So finally o went to see a doctor. She diagnosed it as a cervical polyp. Mine has grown so big that I can actually feel it and can c it. Anyways since it has comeout it started getting infected and hence the burning sensation and the spotting.
Solution is ...get it removed asap. Its a simple procedure. Nothing to worry. In fact it just requires a half day hospitalization and u r back to normal.

Please get it removed. I did..jat a couple of weeks back and cant tell u how relieved I am.

take care!
LP

nonickname (reply to Anonymous)

was it painful when you got it removed?

Anonymous

Hi, Ok so I need some advice. For the past 3 months I have had some swollen tissue inside and at the opening of my vagina. I have had no pain, no itching, no burning, or any other discomfort. I went to the gynecologist and she said I had a bacteria infection which could have caused it. I took my antibiotics but the swelling is still there. She also acted like I didn't have a big problem and that it isn't very swollen. But to me, compared to how my vagina use to look/feel it's very swollen. Anyone have any ideas of what this could be? Thanks

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

I think you should go back again.

You know how sometimes you can get a little dot on your tongue or a hang nail? They are tiny but they are so uncomfortable. Same with something on/in the vaginal cavity.

It's too hard to say what this might be but if it's bothering you, go back again and tell her it's interfering in your life and you need to know what it is. As a gynecologist, she shouldn't be brushing you off like this.

I am having the same problem... been going on for months... been to the Dr. twice.. gave me a cream also for swelling, been tested for STD's no answer.. sex hurts while going in, I am having night sweats horribly thinking it could have something to do with menopause. did you ever find anything out? I am puzzled, I am 49 and getting irritated no one knows the answers.

It sounds like this is a vaginal problem not a urethral one so I think you need to head back to your doctor and ask for more information on what this swelling could be. Even a small amout of swelling down there can be very uncomfortable. 

Sometimes doctor's dismiss patients' concerns when they don't have answers, leaving the patient feeling helpless. If your doctor cannot help you, ask her to refer you to someone who can.

Anonymous

I also feel like my urethral opening is a little swollen or larger than it should be, but it doesn't hurt at all. I'm an 18-year-old girl who has never had vaginal inter course. What do you think??

Anonymous

I am 16. I have a swollen urethra, a bad smell and I missed my period. I have no other symptoms. I am going to the gynecologist soon. But I'm worried and curious as to what this could be.