ask: My Urethra is enlarged/swollen with NO other symptons, no pain, itching, nothing!

I only noticed this as I was washing myself in the shower. We all know what we feel like, and I suddenly noticed a bump inside my vaginal lips, right beside my vagina. I have looked at it with a mirror a number of times, it is surely my urethra, and it is enlarged...it actually looks like a teeny little penis head ! (a really teeny one). There is no pain, even when touching it, no burning or itching, no problems when I pee. I went to a male doctor, he didn't see any obvious problem, but he said he did feel a bump inside me, he thought may be a cyst ? I think he didn't have a clue actually, he is going to send me to a gynecologist, but it will take months to get an appointment. I am 48 years old, my period is starting to become irregular, and just as of a few days ago...I think I am starting to get hot flashes! I am very healthy, I have never had any real 'womens' problems, other than occasional itching or burning, but that has been usually after a hot weekend! lol. I have searched all over the internet for some answers, but I only find enlarged/swollen urethra issues that are associated with other symptoms. Has anyone any idea of what may be going on with me ? Thank you !

Anonymous

Hi, Ok so I need some advice. For the past 3 months I have had some swollen tissue inside and at the opening of my vagina. I have had no pain, no itching, no burning, or any other discomfort. I went to the gynecologist and she said I had a bacteria infection which could have caused it. I took my antibiotics but the swelling is still there. She also acted like I didn't have a big problem and that it isn't very swollen. But to me, compared to how my vagina use to look/feel it's very swollen. Anyone have any ideas of what this could be? Thanks

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

I think you should go back again.

You know how sometimes you can get a little dot on your tongue or a hang nail? They are tiny but they are so uncomfortable. Same with something on/in the vaginal cavity.

It's too hard to say what this might be but if it's bothering you, go back again and tell her it's interfering in your life and you need to know what it is. As a gynecologist, she shouldn't be brushing you off like this.

I am having the same problem... been going on for months... been to the Dr. twice.. gave me a cream also for swelling, been tested for STD's no answer.. sex hurts while going in, I am having night sweats horribly thinking it could have something to do with menopause. did you ever find anything out? I am puzzled, I am 49 and getting irritated no one knows the answers.

It sounds like this is a vaginal problem not a urethral one so I think you need to head back to your doctor and ask for more information on what this swelling could be. Even a small amout of swelling down there can be very uncomfortable. 

Sometimes doctor's dismiss patients' concerns when they don't have answers, leaving the patient feeling helpless. If your doctor cannot help you, ask her to refer you to someone who can.

Anonymous

I also feel like my urethral opening is a little swollen or larger than it should be, but it doesn't hurt at all. I'm an 18-year-old girl who has never had vaginal inter course. What do you think??

Anonymous

I am 16. I have a swollen urethra, a bad smell and I missed my period. I have no other symptoms. I am going to the gynecologist soon. But I'm worried and curious as to what this could be.

Anonymous

I am 18 year old girl I have swollen urthra no itching and all...my gynecologist told me I have enometral hyperlasia ...can I should worry about my swollen urethra or it will be OK...????? Reply

Maryann Gromisch RN Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Endometrial hyperplasia occurs when the endometrium, the lining of the uterus, becomes too thick. It most often is caused by excess estrogen without progesterone. If ovulation does not occur, progesterone is not made, and the lining is not shed. The endometrium may continue to grow in response to estrogen. The cells that make up the lining may crowd together and may become abnormal. This condition, called hyperplasia, may lead to cancer in some women.

Any specific concerns you may have should be discussed with your gynecologist.

Regards,

Anonymous (reply to Maryann Gromisch RN)

Hello. I am on here trying to figure out what could be wrong with me. My urethra is swollen and is sensitive to touch. I can feel it when I wipe, walk or simply sit down. It honestly feels like I have a tampon in at all times. No fever, no chills, no odor, no discharge. When I used a mirror to see what it looked like, the first thing I noticed was that it was an irregular shape and almost block my vaginal opening completely. It is definitely my urethra. I can see the opening for the hole for urine to be released. I don't even feel like I have to go to the bathroom more than normal but I have noticed that I go more at night than during the day. I do have insurance and do plan on going to my doctor Tuesday but would like some insight into this. Please help in anyway you can. Thank you

If you read through this thread you'll see pretty much all the information we can give under these circumstances. You are going to have to have physical eval to know anything more.
Good luck tomorrow, keep us posted.

How do you control your PMS?: