My Urethra is enlarged/swollen with NO other symptons, no pain, itching, nothing!

By September 20, 2009 - 10:19am

I only noticed this as I was washing myself in the shower. We all know what we feel like, and I suddenly noticed a bump inside my vaginal lips, right beside my vagina. I have looked at it with a mirror a number of times, it is surely my urethra, and it is enlarged...it actually looks like a teeny little penis head ! (a really teeny one). There is no pain, even when touching it, no burning or itching, no problems when I pee. I went to a male doctor, he didn't see any obvious problem, but he said he did feel a bump inside me, he thought may be a cyst ? I think he didn't have a clue actually, he is going to send me to a gynecologist, but it will take months to get an appointment. I am 48 years old, my period is starting to become irregular, and just as of a few days ago...I think I am starting to get hot flashes! I am very healthy, I have never had any real 'womens' problems, other than occasional itching or burning, but that has been usually after a hot weekend! lol. I have searched all over the internet for some answers, but I only find enlarged/swollen urethra issues that are associated with other symptoms. Has anyone any idea of what may be going on with me ? Thank you !

I am 60 - I have this enlarge urethra - just noticed today. In the past I have had 3 bartholin cysts which are infections that form around the vagina and are cause by infected and blocked lubrication glands - they are VERY painful - I think that may be what some of your have. Most can be cured with antibotics - some require surgery. Ask your doctor about them. However, it isn't what I am experiencing now. This is swelling around the urethra - it looks like a small marble - not other symptoms (yet).

yours is either prolapsed or caruncle, however you do need a urologist take a look to be on safe side

(reply to Anonymous)

THank you for your input, my case however is the urethral meatus and orifice. It is bloclig my vaginal opening to point that i have had a difficult time inserting the estrogen cream in the tube. It seems to have closed the red that was surrounding the orifice.
I have had a cystoscope, antibiotics, cortisteroid cream.
My urologist just put it down as a prominet urethra. One that was not there 6-8 months ago.
I have a follow up with a female urologist/reconstructive surgeon later this month.
In my studies, i did find a leiomyoma of urethra but it presents as a hard lump, it is benign and can be asymptomatic.

I am currently having similar issue at age 54 . It literally looks like my urethra inverted itself outside the urethra opening, its about 2 cm long.
My gyno did not see anything wrong and said my organs are not prolapsed. He told me to try sitz baths.
I immediately made an appt with my urologist since it involves the urethra and not the vagina.
Though i have to wait two weeks to see him.
As far as sex, it is a no go, extremely painful, even the transvaginal exam hurt like heck, no results yet.

(reply to Anonymous)

My gyno initially laughed it off as being a tiny red prolapse around the orifice. I did not laugh and had to raise my voice to get him to pay attention. He took another look and said that it was swollen than and started on different antibiotics, cortisteroid cream and finally a cystoscope and found nothing.
He offered to have another urologist look at it.
I did not reply and made my own appt with a female urologist /reconstructive surgeon.

I am having a similar problem where my urethra and the area around it is swollen and protruding which causes discomfort during and after sexual intercourse. I have noticed that some people have mentioned that they are approaching menopause, so I thought I might add that I'm experiencing this at age 30. I've been treated for a yeast infections several times, have been tested for STI's several times (despite negative results, having only one long-term sexual partner, and not having much sex anymore at all because of the pain and discomfort.) I've been to two OBGYN's and I've been given the same advice: use un-scented soaps and detergent, only wear cotton underwear (which I have always done), Don't wear thongs (I don't), use plenty of lube (I've been trying that and it doesn't seem to help) and don't wear underwear to sleep to allow things to air out. It is frustrating to go to the doctor and have them ignore or downplay something that is having such a negative impact on my personal life. I am sad and worried and afraid for my health and I sympathize with many others who are experiencing the same thing. I know that ultimately, my problem will not be solved by self-diagnosing via online threads, but it seems after two visits that I need to go to my next doctor's visit equipped with ideas and suggestions (which I'm sure they will love) for what could be wrong. I have relied on their expertise and they have not been able to give me answers so far. How can this happen to so many woman and be such a mystery to so many health care providers? In searching for answers, I have found the following advice, and while I intend to visit my gynecologist again with a more detailed description of my problem and more targeted questions, I may end up seeking seeking the advice a specialist.

my problem is it feels like I'm sitting on a cactus ! Doctors keep giving me anti-biotics, which do NO good. Actually one of them made me so sick from and OB that my family Dr. took it from my hands and put it in with trash. He said it could have killed me. Mean while I still suffer and no answers

Oh my goodness, I am dealing with the exact same thing. I am only 20 so I'm fairly sure it's not menopause, but I've had this bump for a long time and every time I mention it to a doctor they ignore it. It's really uncomfortable and it makes me not even want to have sex at all I actually think it stops pleasure for me. Would you happen to have an email or something? I'd love to talk to you about it. You're the first person with a similar story to mine

I am 21 & the exact same thing is happening!!!!!

I'm 18 and the same is happening to me too! I noticed it after the last time of being sexual with my boyfriend.