Reproductive System

Reproductive System Guide

ask: My Urethra is enlarged/swollen with NO other symptons, no pain, itching, nothing!

By Desiree144

I only noticed this as I was washing myself in the shower. We all know what we feel like, and I suddenly noticed a bump inside my vaginal lips, right beside my vagina. I have looked at it with a mirror a number of times, it is surely my urethra, and it is enlarged...it actually looks like a teeny little penis head ! (a really teeny one). There is no pain, even when touching it, no burning or itching, no problems when I pee. I went to a male doctor, he didn't see any obvious problem, but he said he did feel a bump inside me, he thought may be a cyst ? I think he didn't have a clue actually, he is going to send me to a gynecologist, but it will take months to get an appointment. I am 48 years old, my period is starting to become irregular, and just as of a few days ago...I think I am starting to get hot flashes! I am very healthy, I have never had any real 'womens' problems, other than occasional itching or burning, but that has been usually after a hot weekend! lol. I have searched all over the internet for some answers, but I only find enlarged/swollen urethra issues that are associated with other symptoms. Has anyone any idea of what may be going on with me ? Thank you !

Anonymous

Hi Everyone, I am 16 years old and i am sexually active. 2 Days ago i had unprotected sex where my partner did not cum inside of me and tonight i noticed one side of my Urethra was swollen and hard feelings. I don't know if this affects anything at all but i do have a cyst in my ovary about 4 mm, does anyone know what this is? Thanks.

Sincerely,
SCARED

Maryann Gromisch RN Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Hello SCARED,

Thank you for reaching out to the EmpowHER community with your concern.

The urethra is the tube that leads from the bladder and transports and discharges urine outside the body. In females, it emerges above the vaginal opening.

I am doubting that you are feeling your urthera. Is it the outer labia that feels hard and swollen. The outer labia or labia majora are large, fleshy folds of tissue that enclose and protect the other external genital organs. They are located on either side of the vaginal opening.

If this is the part of your body that is affected, irritation from lack of sufficient lubrication or aggressive sex could be the cause.

Regards,

Anonymous

hello i am 28 and i find first inside the mouth of some red to violet bulge (thinking of swollen nerves).. but after a month when i fully observed the head i found out that the side of the mouth which is the glans is also a bit now swollen (no discoloration). Now i thought this might be cause of the bulge in the urethra.
I panic so i come to net to find what would it be.

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Are you talking about your mouth or your urethra (that you urinate out of)?

If this swelling and discoloration has been going on for a month, you need to see a doctor for an evaluation, otherwise we can only guess at what this may be. 

Please keep us posted! 

oh :0 sorry.. it is the urethra, meatus and glans penis that has a problem. first at the urethral opening then glans penis swollen (no discoloration on glans)

Hi again Anon! 

I didn't realize you were male! You need to see your doctor, who may refer you to a urologist. I hope you feel better soon! 

hello mam I already went to our family doctor and he saw and feel the swelling and no comment on that but he just prescribed me a cifro for my uti after I done urinalysis..... i think I have cleared up from uti but the swelling is not disappear.. i tell him that it wont disappear and yet he was telling to drink up plenty of water.. he said dont worry sometimes it does swell.. but im concerned for what it is.. its painless but it caught too much attention to me... its been one and a half month of swelling

Anonymous

Hello, I woke up this morning with a swollen urethra and it is very sensitive to touch and also sitting a certain way. I had sex last night with my fiancé for the first time in about 2 weeks. I need to know whether this is urgent enough to go to the doctor considering I have no health insurance or if it was potentially caused by rough sex. Please Help..

Did you ever find out the cause, and did this go away? I am having the same issue now for 2 or 3 days! Please if you have any info let me know

Anonymous

Hello everyone
Not really sure how this works but I'm getting worried and to emmbarrassed to go to the docter considering I'm 16… the other day I had an itch so I scratch myself you know... down there... and everything was fine until I woke up and found it was super sore so I looked and it was really swollen right above the urethra ... it almost looks like a long bubble or something anyways its red and hurts when I walk... do you think its from the scratch and I should just wait it out or should I see a softer right away... im not sexually active and it doesn't hurt when I pee. Only when I walk and its touched.
sexually active

How do you control your PMS?: