Reproductive System

Reproductive System Guide

ask: My Urethra is enlarged/swollen with NO other symptons, no pain, itching, nothing!

I only noticed this as I was washing myself in the shower. We all know what we feel like, and I suddenly noticed a bump inside my vaginal lips, right beside my vagina. I have looked at it with a mirror a number of times, it is surely my urethra, and it is enlarged...it actually looks like a teeny little penis head ! (a really teeny one). There is no pain, even when touching it, no burning or itching, no problems when I pee. I went to a male doctor, he didn't see any obvious problem, but he said he did feel a bump inside me, he thought may be a cyst ? I think he didn't have a clue actually, he is going to send me to a gynecologist, but it will take months to get an appointment. I am 48 years old, my period is starting to become irregular, and just as of a few days ago...I think I am starting to get hot flashes! I am very healthy, I have never had any real 'womens' problems, other than occasional itching or burning, but that has been usually after a hot weekend! lol. I have searched all over the internet for some answers, but I only find enlarged/swollen urethra issues that are associated with other symptoms. Has anyone any idea of what may be going on with me ? Thank you !

Anonymous

Hello everyone
Not really sure how this works but I'm getting worried and to emmbarrassed to go to the docter considering I'm 16… the other day I had an itch so I scratch myself you know... down there... and everything was fine until I woke up and found it was super sore so I looked and it was really swollen right above the urethra ... it almost looks like a long bubble or something anyways its red and hurts when I walk... do you think its from the scratch and I should just wait it out or should I see a softer right away... im not sexually active and it doesn't hurt when I pee. Only when I walk and its touched.
sexually active

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

It may have been that you scratched yourself a little too hard and did a minor injury to yourself. Give it another few days to see if you heal.

However, you may have been itchy in the first place due to a medical reason that involves your genital region or urethra and the scratch just made it feel worse. So again, if in the next few days you are still uncomfortable, it's a good idea to see your doctor to see if the scratch caused the injury or just made something that you have already, worse.

Anonymous

Hello! I noticed that there is a tissue/flesh coming out of my urethral opening below the clitoris. Its size is like a tiny penis head and its color is purple. What could it be? Please help me. I am really worried :(
THANK YOU SO MUCH!

It sounds like this is some kind of tissue but you will need to have an evaluation before anyone can tell you what this is, It's probably not something serious but nobody can tell you what is it unless you see someone.

Anonymous

I had a mass right inside my vagina, just saw the doc who is sending me to a urologist and pelvic ultrasound. He found blood in my urine. I have pain every time my husband and I have intercourse. What made me weary about this doc was this : first, I saw a rather big spot on the table that holds the utensils and on the tube of jelly that looked like dried blood. When he came in I brought this to his attention and he scraped the first spot off with his finger nail. Second, he put on anti microbial foam (after saying he did not know what it was). He sat down and started talking again; I asked him to wash his hands and he did. He had the nurse replace the tube with a new one. I stayed because he is recommended, he washed his hands (twice in front of me), and I knew it would take a long time to get back in. Anyway, I have the other appointments in a couple days.

Anonymous

have any of you heard of a urinary caruncle. after having a catheter for 2 and a half days, my urethra became swollen and something was buldging out a bit. my vagina also feels swollen a bit. i am 43 and having irregular periods. urologist said it was a urinary caruncle usually found in older postmenopausal women! no other symptoms. it has decreased a bit and nothing proturdes. but still swollen. they say it can take a long time to go away.

Thanks for your post.

You can have HPV in your system and still have a normal pap.

Usually after infection, a pap test will show abnormalities if there are any. But if someone has a result that is "positive for cancer cells" this means they have cancer, which couldn't have been the case with you. At the very least, the doctor would inform you that you had cervical cancer and begun treatment. What the doctor may have been saying is that your result indicated pre-cancerous cells but this condition would generally require a procedure too.

I think there was miscommunication on both ends.

But if the tests got mixed up, that's an extremely serious issue.

Don't let one bad doctor experiences put you off all doctors.

Let us know how your appointment went this morning!

~Susan

Anonymous

Hello I was wondering if anyone could help me address my problem, as it has me beyond panicked.
A few nights ago I realized the inside of my vagina seems to be swollen, both the left and right walls as well as under the pelvic bone. I have no other symptoms, no itching, no burning, no rash or fevers. The only thing that has changed over the last few days is the fact that I've become progressively more swollen.
I am going to see a gynocologist at 9:15 today however I am afraid she might either tell me its normal or misdiagnose it. I go to the gyno on my college campus and when I went in freshman year to get brith control (to help regulate my period) she told me a pap smear was manditory. The pap had came back "positive for cancer cells" and "hpv" which freaked me out, especially because I had never been sexually active at the time. When I went home a few months later I had a repeat pap done with my regular gyno which came back normal. The school gyno had either given me a false positive or mixed me up with another student.
I just had a pap done in january that also came back normal.

I don't know what to do.

Hi Liz,
No need to feel embarrassed. We are here to help and never to judge.
I can give you some basic information about a vaginal cyst.

A vaginal cyst is a closed sac located on or under the vaginal lining. It can be filled with air, fluid, pus or other material.

There are several types of vaginal cysts. Vaginal inclusion cysts are the most common and form as a result of injury to the vaginal walls during the birth process or after surgery. They are usually very small and located in the lower back of the vaginal wall.

Bartholin's gland cysts are fluid-filled cysts that form on the Bartholin's glands. These glands sit on either side of the opening to the vagina and produce the fluid that lubricated the vaginal lips called the labia.

Gartner's duct cysts and Mullerian cysts occur during pregnancy.

In general, vaginal cysts usually form when a gland or duct becomes clogged, causing liquid or another material to collect inside. The cause depends on the type.

Vaginal cysts usually don't cause symptoms and shouldn't be painful. Some larger cysts, especially Bartholin's gland cysts can cause discomfort when you walk, have sex or insert a tampon. Cysts are more likely to cause pain when they get infected.

Vaginal cysts usually do not need to be treated. You might need to have a biopsy to rule out cancer. A biopsy is a procedure to remove a piece of tissue from the cysts. The sample is examined under a microscope to see if it is cancerous.

An infected cyst is treated with antibiotics. Large, fluid-filled cysts can be drained. If you are really uncomfortable, it is possible to have surgery to remove the entire cyst.

Some health care providers recommend that women over the age of 40 have surgery to remove a vaginal cyst because of the possibility that it might be cancerous. Cysts that are treated with surgery usually do not come back.

I hope that this information is helpful to you. You may consider making another appointment with your doctor to get information specific to you. Write down your questions ahead of time. And don't leave until you have had your questions adequately answered and you full understand.

Wishing you the best,

megs610 (reply to Maryann Gromisch RN)

hello, last week i was admitted into the hospital for a kidney infection, and a colon infection. while i was in the hospital, the doc ordered a foley catheter be put in to monitor the urine. the foley was left in for 2 days. i have spina bifida, and self-cath 4-5 times a day. The day after I got out of the hospital, i was cathing myself, and notice swelling of the vagina lips. I thought at first it was just irritation from having the foley in for so long, but here it is a week later with no change. it's making it difficult for me to cath myself and I'm starting to get worried.. do you know if this is normal after having a foley in, or if it's something i should worry about? if i should get it checked out, should i go to a gyn or urologist? I have no idea if this has anything to do with, it but my legs are also swollen.. I was told that could be from iv fluids though. i've checked online and can't find much info. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

How do you control your PMS?: