Myomectomy Surgery? Please Respond, Thanks.

By April 9, 2012 - 6:55am

Hi ladies, I'm new on here and and joined this site because I was looking for women like me who are dealing with similiar health issues. I'm in my 40's and have been dealing with my fibroids for over 4 years! Once my gyn told me I'll need surgery, I tried finding other alternatives. Uterine Embolization was one of them however, after extensive research I no longer want it. I'm now thinking about and will most likely get a myomectomy. May of this year is my target date because I can't prolong it any further. I have a bunch of small ones and a really big one equivalent to a 5 month pregnancy!! I don't have heavy bleeding like most women and only get some pain during my cycle. One of the reasons I didn't want a myomectomy early on (aside from the recovery time and a bunch of other stuff), is because most doctors I've spoken to said i'd need lupron (hormone therapy), to shrink it first to lessen the amount of blood during surgery. Lupron sends the body into menapause since you stop bleeding while on it, however, there are a bunch of other side effects and this will all go on for 3 months! When I went to a new gyn a week ago, she told me lupron wasn't a must, but that is normally the reason why it's used. I'm just so horrified of surgery (had a breast byopsy in '05..turned out benign, thank goodness), and don't know anyone who've had a myomectomy. I read very few stories on here with people who had it, however, they never talked about it in more details like if they went on lupron first and exactly what it did to them. It would just be very helpful to share emails with a few women on here that went through this. I get really down all the time about it, but only women who actually lived the whole fibroid experience can know what I'm going through. I joined the fibroid group community, however, it doesn't seem like they visit often which is kinda sad because I'm unable to connect with anyone. Ladies, if you read this and you've gone through a myomectomy surgery, can you please send me an email? I'd appreciate your help, thanks. :-)

Hi jena!

Thanks for posting this and I really hope other women who have had this procedure can help you.

May I also suggest setting up a Group for this in our Group section? You can start here: http://www.empowher.com/groups

I don't know if you have read this and you seem very well-researched but here is more info on the procedure:

We encourage anyone who has had this procedure to reach out to you!