Nagging pain in my hand what can it be?

By June 24, 2009 - 9:06pm

I have nagging pain in wrist and hand. Can it be a pinched nerve? I don't think it's carpal tunnel.

I had the worst Wrist and Hand Pain until I found the BEST thing that has ever happened to me! I couldn’t recommend them more!

Expert HERWriter

Hello there BSA-Places!

Welcome to EmpowHer and thank you for posting this great question! I think pain in the hands like you are experiencing are probably even more common than many of us realize. Especially in this day and age of computers and BlackBerries and everything else that we use to keep our work and lives in order!

I think the posters above have given you excellent information and I'm so glad that you are going to see your doctor next week. I'm sorry that you have had to deal with this pain in your hand. I've known lots of women who have had similar pain and like the posters have said, it really does sound like a RSI or carpal tunnel type of thing.

What I wanted to add is that now that you have your brace, you might want to consider wearing it 24 hours a day for at least a few days to see if you notice any difference. One of my good girlfriends got carpal tunnel syndrome really badly when she was pregnant (which it turns out is pretty common), and she got not one but two of the braces and was advised to wear them all of the time, not just when she was on the computer, and they really helped her. She took them off for showering and washing dishes and things but she said keeping them on overnight really made a noticeable difference in her level of pain, and she said it didn't take too long to get used to them.

Please post again once you have seen your doctor and let us know how you are doing. I hope the brace will help you. Best in health, Michelle

Thank you for that info. i just go a brace and i'm going to see a doctor next week. so i will get all the info i need so that i can be ready to ask him some questions.

Thanks again...

Thanks so much for your follow-up.

I'm thinking along the same lines as Diane - that you have a repetitive stress injury that may or may not be Carpal Tunnel (and honestly, your symptoms sound really like carpal tunnel).

From our Encyclopedia:

Carpal tunnel syndrome is caused by a compressed nerve in the wrist, which subsequently causes symptoms in the hand. Pressure on the median nerve, which is inside a narrow passage in the wrist called the carpal tunnel, causes the nerve to malfunction. This nerve provides feeling to the thumb, index and middle fingers, and half the ring finger. It also controls several muscles in the hand, the most important of which allows the thumb to touch the little finger. Compression occurs when the tissues in the carpal tunnel swell up.

Carpal tunnel syndrome is a repetitive strain injury. Although there are many causes for carpal tunnel syndrome, by far the most common is doing repetitive motions as part of your job. Fragmentation of work to the point that one person does one task over and over has been blamed for the increase in cases of carpal tunnel syndrome in recent years. There are approximately one million new cases every year.

For more on causes, symptoms and treatments, click here :

Here is another chat thread about this very topic:

Here is one more, regarding repetitive strain injuries:

BSA, you might want to think about going to a heath care professional to get tested for carpal tunnel or another kind of repetitive strain. Your doctor can do the testing or refer to you someone. Testing includes:

The doctor will ask about your symptoms and medical history, and examine your arms, wrists, and hands. The physical exam will include tests of strength, sensation, and signs of nerve irritation or damage.

Other tests may include:

◦Electrodiagnostic exam (includes nerve conduction, and is commonly known as “ EMG ”)
◦MRI of the neck (cervical spine) is sometimes needed

In the meantime, consider wearing a brace. They can be bought at any drugstore - your pharmacist will show you where and how to use it and then run about $10-$15.

Will you update us?

Thank You, It's my dominant hand (the right)... It starts to tremble sometimes and when I'm just relaxing my hand would fall asleep a lot... I do use a computer at work a lot. I try to rest it when I get home but it's hard not to get on the computer. Any info would be great.

Hi, BSA. Welcome to Empowher, and thanks for your very good question.

Can you describe the pain you are having more specifically?

Is it your dominant hand?

Does it seem to start in a certain finger (and which one?) and go into your wrist? Does the pain travel up to your elbow or stay in your wrist?

Is it worse at night? Is it a stabbing pain or more of a strong ache?

And do you use your hands a lot? You might have a repetitive stress injury (carpal tunnel is one of those, but not the only one) that comes from doing the same movement over and over again. Any small movement that we do a million times, whether it's typing on a computer, scanning in items at a checkout line, or cutting meat in a butcher's shop, can result in an RSI injury. Usually such injuries are helped by taking anti-inflammatories, trying to rest that particular part of the body, and sometimes having some physical therapy and exercises to help.

Write back and let us know some more specifics and we'll see if we can help you figure out what's going on. Pain like you're describing is tough to live with.

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome