Never ending period (age 46)

My normal period is light to medium flow lasting 4 days. Last month I got a normal period, for normal time. 2 days after it ended I got my period again. Flow ranged from very light spotting to large clots. I have now had this period for 42 days. no end in sight. I have no cramps, I don't feel tired like I usually do when I have my period. Truthfully just starting to get worried that i might bleed to death! I have been all over the internet and all I hear are women who have this problem (most much younger then I) and that when they go to the doctor there is little or no solution. I do not have health insurance or a doctor. I have not been to a doctor in 8 years. I am very healthy, not overweight, exercise etc. Should I be alarmed or is this a symptom of Peri menopause?

I notice that this thread is really quite old, but I have to ask nonetheless. I'm 22, and I've had what seems to be a never ending period for several years now, even with birth control. There's sometimes a stretch of maybe 2-4 days where there is no pink/deep red/clotted and brown/dark brown discharge or a heavier flow that happens every other week or so that requires menstrual products. Cramping happens incredibly often, ranging from moderately tolerable to complete agony. It's been going on since I was 17, and it's generally rather alarming.

You are not alone!!! I am 23 and have been bleeding since 12. I have had blood transfusion after blood transfusion. The doctors have run test after test and have no answers. It can become unbearable now and again, but I want you to know you are not alone... because until now, I thought I was.

Thanks for your post. 

What you are experiencing isn't normal. You need a physical examination to see if you have cysts or some kind of blockage that is causing such pain. This may also be why you are bleeding like this.  You may need an ultrasound. 

You also should have blood tests to see if  have a hormonal imbalance. 

Please request this from your doctor and don't take no for an answer!  Will you keep us posted?

Late to the game here, but in case anybody's still listening - I'm a 46 year old who's been bleeding basically every other week for two months now. I went in for a PAP that came back normal, but like the rest of you guys, I have no insurance and there is not a single dr. office in my area that will take me unless I produce a credit card upfront (I don't have one of those, either). And from what I read on the internet...the multiple tests performed are way out of my budget. I don't qualify for health assistance.

I went to a naturopath two days ago and he gave me Symplex F...which is a combination of bovine adrenal, pituitary, thyroid.

It utterly sucks to be a hard-working, self-employed American who is unworthy of health care (I've been trying to get it for ten years and am always declined because of my autoimmune disease). I'm a healthy weight, I eat organic, NEVER consume junk food, and I'd love to know that my suddenly freaky periods are a normal variant. But, instead, I'm just going to sit here and worry endlessly.

Guess I just wanted to vent. Sorry about that.

(reply to Anonymous)

I am so sorry...so many of us have stories to share about being "unworthy" of health care due to a previous medical condition, and I hope this will change in the future!

In the meantime, please keep us updated with your success for Symplex F, and if you visit the naturopath again, it would be helpful to hear about your visit.

Take care,

The paper you signed when getting your green card was more than likely your agreement to not go on any kind of welfare for the first 12 months of legal residency. Regardless - a free clinic does not require proof of citizenship or residency. I'm so sorry your husband lost his job and that often, in this country, your health coverage depends on your job. It's a very dangerous position to be in and so many now are in this predicament due to the recession.

You may have fibroids again. Symptoms include

◦Pelvic pain
◦Feeling of pelvic pressure
◦Heavy menstrual bleeding
◦Clots in menstrual flow
◦Long periods
◦Bleeding between periods
◦Increased cramping during periods
◦Pain during sex
◦Frequent need to urinate
◦Enlarged uterus, giving the appearance of pregnancy
◦Low back or leg pain
◦Infertility by blocking the fallopian tubes

Check out our fibroid page here! http://www.empowher.com/condition/uterine-fibroids

You may be entering perimenopause or actual menopause. I think a visit to a health clinic is a very good idea. Will you do this and update us?

I have found myself in the same situation. My periods used to be the last six years every 28-30 days a part an lasting appr.7 days. My husband switched his work and lost our health care insurance and I feel that I cannot go anywhere been afraid I'm going to make a huge bill. The last two months my period came in every 10-12 days and lasted about 5-7 days. This month my period has not ended. The flow was normal and now its pinkish to yellow with mild cramping occationally. I do not feel pms symptoms like I used to few months back. I have also been online tryin to find if this is normal and goes away on its own. I'm married to American and have a green card but I'm not U.S citizen ( this makes me hesitant to use the free clinics. I vaguedly remember signing a paper when applying for my greencard not to become a burden to the society). I'm a mother of a five year old girl. I was fourty when I had her.When I was pregnant with her, they found some large fibrodes then and i wonder would they have returned? I'm grateful for any info.

Dear Anon

Thank you so much for your question and welcome! 42 days of bleeding is not ok! But it may indeed be a symptom of perimenopause (or menopause, you may have been perimenopausal for several years and not known it).

Empowher describes perimenopause as "the period in a woman's life before natural menopause, where her hormones are "in transition". It is characterized by a gradual decrease in progesterone and estrogen, but hormone fluctuations are common. This period can last from 3-10 years before menopause. Some women have many symptoms during this period, others few. Irregular menstrual cycles are the most common first sign. Other common symptoms are PMS-like symptoms (bloating, breast tenderness), hot flashes and night sweats, insomnia, vaginal dryness, and changes in the breasts. Anovulatory menstrual cycles are common, and women should watch for bleeding between periods."

(Anovulatory bleeding is what happens without any ovulation occurring) .

Please also check into our menopause page here : http://www.empowher.com/media/reference/menopause

Anon, you need to make sure you are not lacking in iron or becoming anemic due to this bleeding. You may want to take an iron supplement until you figure things out.

If this bleeding is showing no signs of ending, you will need to see a health care professional. It may be peri- or actual menopause but it also could be symptomatic of something else that cannot remain untreated. Having no health insurance should never be a reason to not seek help, but believe me, I know it stops so many people (me included, at one stage in my life) and this is a national embarrassment.
There are free clinics who can help you and you can also sign up for free health care if you earn under a certain amount.

What state do you live in? Please let us know (or send the information in personal message if you prefer) and we will try to find you a place you can go where a lack of health insurance will not be an issue. Thank you for your question - we will do everything we can to get you back to wellness again!

Hypermenorrhea Guide