Quitting the pill

By May 23, 2009 - 11:01am

Having read articles over the last years and even recently one here on empowher, I have decided to stop taking the birth control pill; ortho tri cyclen to be exact. I am nervous of risks of breast cancer,weight gain and difficulty in building muscle. Also, I am really into natural health and not taking any drugs.
I will probably use condoms and the rhythm method.
I have a few questions, please.
First, do I need to do anything other than simply stop taking it, while using condoms?

Also, does anyone know where I can find a good calendar to follow to see my most infertile/ fertile times? I would want to "map" my own cycle and then follow a chart.
Any advice is very welcome. I am 38, have not had and am not sure if I want children. I am very healthy and pretty fit.

My wife keeps a simple day calendar in our bathroom suite and uses it to great effect in watching her cycles. She has a wide variation in cycles but would never trade that with going back on the pill.

I would recommend testing your hormone levels for a while as my wife had some wide swings for the first year that then got back to normal with a little bit of supplemental hormone treatment.

Good luck with it - and like Susan, I say "enjoy being pill free!"

For most women, they can just quit taking it, talk to your doctor first if you feel the need but most everyone I know simply stops, usually at the end of the cycle in order to (hopefully) keep a regular cyclical routine. I took this kind of Pill for years - there is no need to wean off etc.

Within a few months you'll be able to map your own cycle pretty easily (as long as you are regular), going on the fact that the first day of your period is day 1 of your cycle. Cervical mucus may indicate ovulation periods so take extra care at this time if you don't want to get pregnant, by using the rhythm method along with condoms and take care to note that sperm stays alive up to 72 hours. Having sex on Tuesday can easily find you getting pregnant on that next Friday! Ovulation usually occurs around day 14 and lasts about 72 hours but there are many variables here. To be sure, consider days 10-20 as danger zones if a pregnancy is unwanted. You may be one of the lucky ones who has a rock steady 28 day cycle!

Charting your basal body temperature is also a good idea.

The rhythm method and charting has it's all-natural benefits but is no guarantee of remaining not pregnant, as MANY a woman will tell you - charts and all! Condoms will be necessary 100% of the time if you are sure you don't want a baby. If worst came to worst you can also consider Plan B if you have unprotected sex so all would not be lost, even if you had unprotected sex during ovulation. Even the most regular woman can have a month where she is 1 or 2 days off her cycle which can and does result in pregnancy. Condoms are highly effective in this regard. Being "very healthy and fit" might make you rather fertile, even at 38, so just be careful and enjoy being Pill free!!