Risk of pregnancy - on minipill with breakthrough bleed and antibiotic use

By January 8, 2010 - 11:28pm

Hi, I am a 27yo who's now 6 days late for my period. I was just wondering if anyone knew what the risk of pregnancy is whilst taking the progesterone only mini-pill (microlut), and having mid-cycle bleeding, and taking antibiotics (doxicycline) 3 days post-coitus. Normally regular 28 -29 day cycle, with no mid-cycle bleeding/spotting.
* LMP 7th Dec 2009.
* Mid-cycle spotting/bleed 18th, 19th Dec (Watery-pink discharge)
* Antibiotic commenced 24th Dec

* Spotting 1st or 2nd Dec (tiny amount of brown staining on underwear)
* Intimate (pill only protection) 4th, 6th, 20th, 21st Dec

I have taken one home pregnancy test at day 4, produced a negative result, HOWEVER, i was a bit wreckless, and accidently dropped it into the toilet bowl before it produced a result... oops! Wouldn't judge the validity on that result!

Any ideas/help would be greatly appreciated! - Thanks

Hey guys,
So I've been on my same birth control pill for about a year now, and have never once missed a pill. About 2 weeks ago I had sex and we used a condom, but the condom broke. About 8 or 9 days later I started taking Prednisone and Azithromycin because I had tonsillitis. I'm kinda freaking out because last night I started spotting, just a little bit, but it still worries me. I really can't have a baby I'm only in college. I still have until Saturday with active pills until I start my placebo week and I'm stressing out. Can anyone help?

I was just wondering if anyone could help me.
Ive been taking the mini pill for about 6 months now and recently had sex with my boyfriend. The day after I started bleeding and now I have period pains and actually am now on my period. I was just wondering if having sex with him triggered my period and if so was I still protected the time we had sex?

Hi I am 4 weeks pregnant in 2 days. i have PCOS so the doctor did a pregnancy test at 2 weeks and it came out negative i am trying for a baby so she tried inducing a bleed and put me on northestorone and i had sore breasts at 3 weeks so took a pregnancy test and its positive. I was worried becuase i took the mini pill for 6 days 3 a day. I was wondering whether i have affected the fetus?

Hii i was wondering if some one could help me. iv recently had an abortion on the 7th of july also on the same day i was given a course of antibotics for seven days to reduce the risk of infection, also i started the mini pill cerazette. On the 16th july i had unprotected sex and then started my period the next day. i was wondering if some body could advice me if im protected from being pregnent?

Anonymous (reply to katiee21)

Stop having unprotected sex!! You should feel awful for having an abortion. That poor baby doesn't have a voice and you just murdered it. It breaks my heart. How wreckless can you be and place no value on an innocent human being's life???

I think that you should mind ur own business. People have abortions for reasons. That's a horrible thing that you saying calling her a murderer.
You don't know what her situation is or what she has been going through.
Having an abortion could of broken her heart. So keep those comments to yourself your just a bully

You should feel awful for having a period. Those poor unfertilized eggs are just being flushed away, you practically just murdered them, and now they don't have a voice. Don't you have any value on a ball of cells?

You have more patience than I would have! I'll be interested to hear what happens and when. It's smart to keep such a detailed chart of your cycles; having something to refer back to can be helpful again and again and again. You may indeed be right about the prednisone.

Do let us know what happens. I'm impatiently :) waiting, lol.

Anonymous (reply to Diane Porter)

I'm also on the same mini-pill and am now 2 months late... I haven't done a HPT yet as I am not sure if I'm ready for the results! I have done a bit of research though and it seems that there are quite a few people who do not return to their normal cycle (on the mini-pill) until they stop breastfeeding so we may be the same as them.

(reply to Anonymous)

If you are two months late for your period, please please do a HPT. You may not be ready for the results, but you need to know them anyway. If you are pregnant, you need to know it, so that you can either begin prenatal care or have time to explore other options. If you are not pregnant, you need to figure out why you aren't having periods. It may just be hormonal, it may be caused by stress, but you need to know why.

And wouldn't it be a relief to put the worry aside? One way or the other?

By waiting to find out, all you are doing is making sure that the decisions are being made FOR you instead of BY you.

Please promise that you'll do an HPT soon. And then, whatever the results, do come back and update us -- we can help you find more information about anything you need.