Scabs that don't heal

By September 20, 2011 - 7:51am

I have a couple scabs from mosquito bites that have not healed, I did scratch them excessively, but I did that for any mosquito bite, but they never had trouble healing.. When I first got them, they seemed as if they were healing, then the scab fell off, and a new one formed. It's been doing this for almost a year (on both scabs, one on my chest and on my arm). I've tried everything from neosporin to aloe vera, even to as far as gylcolic chemical peels. I am getting very frustrated because I cannot wear certain clothes because they will show---my confidence has become low. How do I get rid of them? Why did this happen in the first place? Should I make an appointment with my doctor?

P.S. I do not see a dermatologist, I don't have acne of any sort, nor do I tan. Almost always wear some sort of sunscreen protection.

Try Silver gel. Works great for me.

Good for you, Sysy - you're making very positive steps!

Respecting your parents is one thing - advocating for your rights is another. Once you are an adult, it's time to start making decisions for yourself. This doesn't mean a lack of respect or that you don't value their opinions, it just means becoming responsible for your own life. At the age of 19, you should not be asking your Mom for permission to go to the doctor when you're not feeling well. These are decisions you must make for yourself.

Good luck with your therapy session!!

Told my mom I need to go to the doctor. She basically said no. I would go myself, but I don't have a car. Dad is away for work again. Live with my boyfriend, he could take me, but don't want to go against my moms wishes and get cut off from health insurance.
If I continue to do chemical peels, could this solve the problem?

HERWriter Guide (reply to Sysy92)

Hi Sysy!

You need to go to the doctor - your immune system is probably very weak, due to your eating disorder. I doubt it would be staph (and I can only offer your possibilities, not a diagnosis) but you really may have an infection from the picking at it and the lack of healing. Sores that do not heal need medical attention.

I don't understand your moms lack of initiative with you but at 19, you have to stop asking your mom for permission to do things. Why do you keep doing that? You are a grown woman now so make your own appointment and have your boyfriend take you.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Okay, wish me luck!

I keep doing that I guess because I was raised to respect my parents and not to go against their wishes, ever. I'm a bit submissive to her, I am a bit fearful of her as well, she was always extremely controlling while I was growing up, and when I didn't listen, the consequences were kind of harsh.

Update at 5 pm: Wanted to let you know, I called my therapist and finally made an appointment. My doctors office is closed by will call tomorrow. And also I've gained 3 1/2 lbs in the last week and a half because I have been drinking protein drinks 2-3 times a day, very proud of that!

Hi sysy92

Thanks for your question.

Scabs that are not healing within a year may have an underlying infection that will stops the scabs from healing unless treated. Additionally, some other skin condition could have occurred, due to the scratching and scabs themselves.

It seems that the bites are actually now wounds that are unable to heal. You do really need to see a doctor about this.

Thank you Susan,

By underlying infection, do you mean like staph, for example?
And if it has turned into some skin condition, would it be possible for them to go away for good, even with a skin condition?