Dental & Oral Health

Dental & Oral Health Guide

Christine Jeffries

ask: Strange Bump on the roof of my Mouth

Can someone help me?

For two days, I had this strange bump on the roof of my mouth (hard palate). Since it started to hurt, I started to research what it might be and when I touched it to feel if it was hard, it popped like a zit. The only thing that came out of it was pure white (not clear) just as if you popped a zit on your face.

So now that I have popped this unknown bump, I am afraid of what in the world it is. It is still very sore but less annoying as it is no longer a big as it was. I would guess it was about the size of a medium zit on your face to compare.

Can anyone help me? I looked up several dental sites but merely mention Mucoceles but these are painless and this one random bump is very painful and clearly zit-like.

Any ideas?

Anonymous

I had the same thing when I had a sinus infection. It was a way of draining itself I guess. It was very swollen and PAINFUL. I sucked on some ice to help with the swelling (that was a relief!) so it went down to a medium size and then popped when I went to the dentist (they took xrays and the plastic hard corner pinched it) But the days before it were AWFUL I thought I had a tooth problem but it was a sinus infection. My dentist prescribed me some antibiotics (a Zpac) and it went away after about a week.

garymoore

It's better to visit your dentist

Anonymous (reply to garymoore)

these comments are never helpful. come on dude.

Anonymous

Use peroxide to clean out... When I get them, they go away... Make sure not to swallow any of the peroxide.... I use peroxide as mouthwash 1x week and the remaining days with regular mouthwash....

Anonymous

Yes I usually get these when I eat popcorn or certain chips and lemony stuff but its always the same spot in the roof of my mouth.

Anonymous

get an electric toothbrush and press it against the bump. It will tear it open and then you can clean it out with lots of water.
It will hurt for days then it will heal slow.

Anonymous

You can get these bumps from certain foods that have a lot of ascid in them. As always, if you are worried about it . . . see a doctor.

Anonymous

Have you tried washing your mouth out with salt water or mouthwash? That seems to fix the issue most of the time as these occur if we cut open the top of our mouths from eating etc. As mentioned by Pat right above your post, please seek physician assistance if it bleeds, hurts, or lasts longer than one or two weeks.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted.
Missie

Anonymous

i have this now, i dont smoke and i dont drink alcohol, it randomly appeared and now im worried because i have had this for the last 3/4 days.

Pat Elliott

Anon - Here's when you need to worry about mouth bumps:
* if they get bigger
* if they bleed
* if they last longer than one or two weeks
* if they are painful
Hopefully yours will go away soon, but if not, please seek care. Pat

Do you see a dentist regularly?: