Dental & Oral Health

Dental & Oral Health Guide

Christine Jeffries

ask: Strange Bump on the roof of my Mouth

Can someone help me?

For two days, I had this strange bump on the roof of my mouth (hard palate). Since it started to hurt, I started to research what it might be and when I touched it to feel if it was hard, it popped like a zit. The only thing that came out of it was pure white (not clear) just as if you popped a zit on your face.

So now that I have popped this unknown bump, I am afraid of what in the world it is. It is still very sore but less annoying as it is no longer a big as it was. I would guess it was about the size of a medium zit on your face to compare.

Can anyone help me? I looked up several dental sites but merely mention Mucoceles but these are painless and this one random bump is very painful and clearly zit-like.

Any ideas?

Anonymous

My dentist applied DEBACTEROL on it.

Anonymous

It could be a staph infection. I've had them on my (on and off) on my skin for the last year and just a couple of days ago i developed what sounds to be exactly what you described. I know it's possible to get them in your mouth although this is the first time its happened to me. Look up staph infection of mouth on google images.

Anonymous

I had the same thing when I had a sinus infection. It was a way of draining itself I guess. It was very swollen and PAINFUL. I sucked on some ice to help with the swelling (that was a relief!) so it went down to a medium size and then popped when I went to the dentist (they took xrays and the plastic hard corner pinched it) But the days before it were AWFUL I thought I had a tooth problem but it was a sinus infection. My dentist prescribed me some antibiotics (a Zpac) and it went away after about a week.

garymoore

It's better to visit your dentist

Anonymous (reply to garymoore)

these comments are never helpful. come on dude.

Anonymous

Use peroxide to clean out... When I get them, they go away... Make sure not to swallow any of the peroxide.... I use peroxide as mouthwash 1x week and the remaining days with regular mouthwash....

Anonymous

Yes I usually get these when I eat popcorn or certain chips and lemony stuff but its always the same spot in the roof of my mouth.

Anonymous

get an electric toothbrush and press it against the bump. It will tear it open and then you can clean it out with lots of water.
It will hurt for days then it will heal slow.

I did take this advice and decided to drain the bump. I used a silk pin instead of the toothbrush (because that sounded painful and I didn't want food to get inside). I had to make several holes with the pin but it only stung a bit, then I pushed out the fluid that was inside until the bump was drained. There was thick yellowish pus in there so I'm glad I got it out instead of waiting 10 days (can't imagine, that sounds horrible and dangerous). I'm liable to think it was infected. Immediately washed out with peroxide, then salt/water (1 cup), then rinsed with white vinegar for 60 seconds. I had an extra amoxcicillan so I took that and went to bed. Next day the bump had completely drained, zero pain and completely healed in about three days. I contined to use mouthwash and vinegar about 3 x's a day for the three days.

Anonymous

You can get these bumps from certain foods that have a lot of ascid in them. As always, if you are worried about it . . . see a doctor.

Do you see a dentist regularly?: