Is there a cure for hair loss in women?

My mother lost all of her body hair in her 40's. Never found out why. Now the same thing is happening to me. Within the past year, I have begun to lose most of my hair on my head. Can this be stopped? My dermatologist does not have any solutions for me. HELP SOON.

Hi Anonymous

What is your diagnosis, do you know? Do you have alopecia? Is so, is it alopecia universalis? This is a total body hair loss and is an autoimmune disease and genetics have been known to play a part.

Alopecia has no cure but regrowth or patchy hair growth has been know to happen. But since your mother has the same condition (it would seem) I'm wondering did she remain completely hairless?

I'd like you to read the blogs of Susan Beausang regarding alopecia, you can read her stories here: http://www.empowher.com/users/susan-beausang - she offers a wealth of information and support.

Let me know what you think!