Is there reason to be alarmed when your uterus is tilted to the back?

By October 7, 2009 - 8:34pm

i had a pa smear done and i was asked by the practitioner is i had ever been told that my uteres is tilted to the back?I said no and before i could why we got sidetracked and forgot to ask.

I just wanted to add to Diane's reassurances - I'm a fellow member of the tipped uterus club and I didn't even know until the doctor told me. My cervix is also back so far that every doctor I've ever seen mentions it! So if I am with a new doctor and getting a pap test, I can hear them about to say something and I say "It's so far back you can barely get to it!" and they say "I was just about to say that!". And I think "I know!".

As Diane said -the vast majority of women with a tipped uterus don't even know it. It's a bit like having your second toe bigger than your "big" toe. It's just how you are.

Hi, Jaynest, and welcome to EmpowHer!

No, you needn't be alarmed. It's just an anatomical difference. A "tilted uterus," also called "tipped" or "retroflexed," happens in quite a few women. In some, it contributes to painful menstruation or sexual intercourse; other women are never aware of it at all.

My mom had a tilted uterus, but it "righted" itself after she had her first (of three) children. If you get pregnant, your uterus will probably no longer be tilted backward after the first trimester.

Here's the Mayo Clinic's answer:

And here's the American Pregnancy Association's page on a tilted uterus:

Do you have painful intercourse or menstruation? If so, that might be the reason to explore this further with your doctor. Otherwise, it's really not a concern.

just wanted to know if i should be alarmed or not