Skin, Hair & Nails

Skin, Hair & Nails Guide

ask: thumbnail health and moon circles on them

what do the half-moons at the lower part of my thumbnails mean?

Michelle King Robson Expert HERWriter

Dear Anonymous,

Thank you so much for finding us here at EmpowHer and for posting your question to us. I honestly thought that everyone has those moons on the bottom portions of our thumbnails. Alysiak gave you some great information and even the name of the moon shapes. I have smaller moons on some of my other fingernails as well.

I was always told that they are perfectly normal and nothing to be concerned about, unless like Alysiak said they start to change color in some way.

Have your thumbnail moons changed in any way recently, either in color or appearance (like ridges or indentations or something)? If we can help you in any other way please let us know. Best in health, Michelle

Anonymous (reply to Michelle King Robson)

I just noticed that the half moons on both of my thumb nails are shaped oddly, not rounded like usual, with a spike on the side closest to my pointer fingers. I have never seen them any other shape besides a symmetrical half moon. Could this be an indication of some illness?

alysiak

What you're referring to is the half moon shape, known as lunula, part of the normal anatomy of the fingernail. On most people, it's white. Any discoloration or surface anomaly might indicate some sort of illness or injury to the nail.

Are you concerned about the appearance of your nails?

When going out in the sun, what SPF do you put on?: