What are some alternatives to taking boniva?

By Anonymous February 10, 2012 - 7:49am

I have osteopenia,

I took Boniva 3 times, (3 months), and suddenly had symptoms that were ruining my daily life. I could barely eat, and had burning pain below my chest. I was constipated, and waiting all day to go to the bathroom, plus gas pains that shot up my back to name a few. I got really scared that I might have colon cancer. After several tests, including an endoscopy, I was diagnosed with ulcers. They were caused by Boniva, and are not a small symptom. I could not go about my usual activities until I had treatment. I did not have the H.Pylori bacteria that is often associated with ulcers (and can be the cause), which further convinced my doctor that they were caused by Boniva.

Took 1st dose of Boniva last month without problem. Yesterday I took as directed and an hour later began to feel unwell - getting continually worse as the day progressed. Worst Migraine in many years, profuse sweating, chills, nausea, aches all over. Didn't eat or drink anything unusual. No one else in family was ill- Finally feeling human again, after 15 hrs,! Should I try again next month?

Thank you for your post - wow - these side effects seem very extreme. 

One of the main side effects of Boniva is how it affects the upper respiratory system. This may have been what happened to you. 

I would call your doctor about this before trying again next month and if you do take it next month and the same thing happens - you will know it's actually Boniva causing it (it still could be a once off bug you had and could be a coincidence) and you can look for an alternative. 

Just be careful when taking bisphosphonates. If you step down and you get a sharp pain in your thigh, you may have a hairline fracture due to the medication.

Thank you for your question!

You did not finish your post. Has Boniva been recommended to you? Are you worried about side effects?

There are many other supplements available besides Boniva. They include Fosamax but there is also a medication called Raloxifene that works in a way like estrogen to strengthen your bones but without the hormones.

There are also natural treatment including very beneficial diet and exercise recommendations and you can read all about that here:

Please let me know if this helps!

Osteopenia Guide