What do you do when health insurance isn't enough?

By November 30, 2011 - 12:32pm

I recently got prescribed Forteo for my osteoporosis. It's going to cost me $240/month with my insurance (bluecross blueshield ppo). I am stressing majorly about this, to the point of tears.
When I asked my doctor if there are cheaper options besides forteo or boniva IV, she said "to be honest, all the treatments covered by your insurance are actually very expensive or around the same price".
I don't know what im going to do. I'm already paying $450 a semester for college (broke it down to payments around $80 a month).

I am stressed to the max. I asked my parents for help, but of course, this is going to be hard on them---especially since my pregnant older sister moved back in with them with her boyfriend and her boyfriends 1 year old son. Plus their dog has diabetes and has to have 2 shots a day.
I mean really, what do I do?!
I'm doing the best I can.

Hi Sysy

Thanks for your post. Unfortunately, medicine can cost a lot of money and $240 a month is quite a lot of money, especially if that's after your insurance kicks in.

You may have to get a part time job or get more hours if you already work. Working just one day a week would pay for this.

What you can also do is contact the company that makes your medication and see if they have a program that can help patients with the cost of the medication. Many pharmaceutical companies do this.

Also, try the Partnership for Prescription Assistance Program here: http://www.pparx.org/ - they also have a toll free number you can call.

Here is another program called Rx Assist: http://www.rxassist.org/

Let us know if you have any luck!

Osteoporosis Guide